II Guys on "Total Axxess" Radio Program TONIGHT!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

II Guys on "Total Axxess" Radio Program TONIGHT!

Post by sue d. » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Here's the latest news on II Guys that I'm putting out as a newsletter also:

John and Bob will be featured LIVE on "Total Axxess," part of WAY-FM's evening programming Friday, Nov. 9, from 7-8 p.m. CST.

Total Axxess is "the only show that gives you unprecedented access to your favorite bands and artists" and is heard throughout the country, both on radio and via online internet streaming.

Make sure to tune in to hear all about John's new album, "The Grafting," catch up with Bob and "Vertical Expressions," and even call in and chat!
1-888-HIT-RADIO (1-888-448-7234).

Links to Listen:
Total Axxess: http://totalaxxess.com/
Station Listing: http://totalaxxess.com/stations.php
Streaming Station Listing: http://www.wayfm.com/about-us/streams.php
Main Stream Station: http://waym.wayfm.com/?show=streams

Mark your calendars to spend an hour with John and Bob FRIDAY, NOV. 9!
Last edited by sue d. on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

TMBGTFK

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:17 pm

D'OH we already have plans that evening with tobyMac, BarlowGirl, and Thousand Foot Krutch!
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:31 am

Bah!

I have plans with pizza and a movie.... not sure how I'm gonna work THIS one out!

But never fear - Trodland is going to stay up LATE and record this for us (like 2 a.m. Norway time).

So we'll have it, and I think Total Axxess may be archiving it.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:19 am

If you listen in, you just might hear some LIVE music too!
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

We all love ya!

Post by BForm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:42 pm

It's alright John. Don't take it so hard. We know what you can do and God is ultimately in control of your future.

There once was a king who saw a beautiful woman. He took that woman though she was married to another man. He then sent her husband off to the front lines of war to try to cover up his sin. Now there's a man who blew it!!!!!! And yet God used him greatly even after this.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Computerbrains
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Computerbrains » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:46 pm

we know what he CAN do but he need the words in front of him. Very sad interview - makes me cringe as I remember what PETRA once was.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:05 pm

CB, I think you're being a little harsh. What Petra once was is a band made up of fallable human beings that were playing for God's glory. II Guys are 2 guys that want to do the same. They will never be that same band again, but so what. God may use them in a way that impacts eternity even more in their later years even though we can't see it with our eyes. Now that they are "weaker" by human standards means they may be in an even better position to be used by God.

Sometimes I think people on this board have made an idol out of Petra's "glory" years and will never be satisfied with anything less than the music/lineup they have enjoyed the most. I think Bob and John are living for God, not for us. And praise the Lord for that.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Why?

Post by BForm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

There is one thing that is bothering me though. Why didn't they play anything off of the II Guys CD? Are there legal reasons? Was Wally allowed to interview them for novelty sake but some programmer said there music is no longer relevant and so it wasn't allowed? I don't get how they can interview them as II Guys and not play a II Guys song.
0 x

carol d.
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Why?

Post by carol d. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:34 pm

BForm wrote:There is one thing that is bothering me though. Why didn't they play anything off of the II Guys CD? Are there legal reasons? Was Wally allowed to interview them for novelty sake but some programmer said there music is no longer relevant and so it wasn't allowed? I don't get how they can interview them as II Guys and not play a II Guys song.
Did you listen for the whole hour? They tried to do at least one song off the II Guys CD (Trading My Sorrows) and had a bit of, er, (as my musician husband says) a train wreck. I can't remember the next song cuz I was feeling too badly for John, but I think it was from Vertical Expressions as well...and, uh, it didn't go so well either. That's when they went to the old Petra song and pulled it off fine; after a break, of course.
Computerbrains wrote:we know what he CAN do but he need the words in front of him. Very sad interview - makes me cringe as I remember what PETRA once was.

I give John A LOT of credit for even trying again. There are many vocalists that will NEVER to do anything in an impromptu-type setting for fear of the ever-dreaded train wreck, which btw is inevitable in the career of every musician. Professional or not...grammy-award winning or not.

The interview was great and I learned some things I didn't know before. And, John still has a great voice.
0 x
[color=purple][size=109]"He Came, He Saw, He Conquered!"[/color][/size]

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:45 pm

If anyone missed this, I have recorded it as an downloadable mp3-file.
Check my site for info.

I think the II Guys interview was great, but I think it was sad that John forgot the lyrics. That's not funny when you're online on radio;-)

After trying Reach out and Trading my sorrows..., there was a short break, and they did a great "Rose colored" song!
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

carol d.
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Online

Post by carol d. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm

trodLAN wrote: After trying Reach out and Trading my sorrows..., there was a short break, and they did a great "Rose colored" song!
Thanks for clarifying the song order, Trod. Guess I had it a little backwards.... :wink:
0 x

carol d.
Pethead
Pethead

Post by carol d. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:03 pm

I just want to say to anyone who may have heard the interview and who thinks John doesn't "have it" anymore:

If you have heard John at a live concert lately, you will know that John's voice is as AMAZING as it ever was. Granted, it's not as crisp as it once was and the highs are sometimes a little harder, but he still has a FANTASTIC voice that is full of power and, imho, has aged like a fine wine. I saw John and Bob twice in the last year and John's voice was absolutely fabulous both times. I had not heard John sing live for many, many years and I could not believe that his voice was still so wonderful. Even in less than ideal settings, like an outside park, John can still belt them out.

IMHO, John Schlitt is (still) THE BEST vocalist of all time. :P
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Yes, I did listen to the entire thing. But several times they broke to play a recorded song from other artists. I'm wondering why they didn't play one of the recorded songs off the CD. There is no way anyone could get a feel for what their only II Guys cd sounds like from one accoustic live performance. If they had played one, I think it would have helped the situation quite a bit. It's over now so there's no sense in getting uptight about it. I'm just curious as to why.

By the way, I don't think we have to put a spin on this interview in order to be Christian in our response. The interview portion was fine. But as a PR opportunity for II Guys it did not go well and we all know it. It's o.k. though. This too will work in some way for their good and God's glory. I'm just very concerned at how tough it seemed to be on John and I really feel bad for him. I'm afraid he will be beating himself up for this for some time. We need to pray for him.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:11 pm

carol d. wrote:IMHO, John Schlitt is (still) THE BEST vocalist of all time. :P
Agreed. John had and has two of the best rock voices in rock history. I say two, because the young John had extended range and tight vibrato. The second is equally as good with body, grit and rock rasp. Love them both. Wish I had his pipes.
0 x

Computerbrains
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Computerbrains » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Come on, lets face some facts. I am not being harsh I am being realistic. How can you even think of promoting an album or group if you don't even know the words to one of the few songs you ever penned (Just Reach Out)? I feel bad for John too but how can you let this happen over and over again? **Was there no thought at all put into what songs they would be singing live?** Surely professionals would practice before hand right? Its not like this was an interview that took song requests where perhaps he could be caught off guard. What really bothers me is when you have the talent to rock and draw in non believers, then you decide to mellow out and sing praise music which appeals only to believers...mainly older believers.
0 x