Petra libeled

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Tutor_23
Pethead
Pethead

Petra libeled

Post by Tutor_23 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:49 pm

I recently came across this outrageous claim on a website:
Petra: false so-called Christian rock band, cross-dressers, purported to be homosexuals.

Anyone ever heard of such nonsense before? Here is the URL:
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20 ... /shame.htm

Petra is lumped in with the likes of Ozzy Osborne and Twisted Sister.
0 x
"Never surrender. Never, never surrender!"
- Sir Winston Churchill

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat May 03, 2008 11:40 pm

These are the same people who say the New International Version Bible ought to be burned.

These guys are no worth even commenting about.
0 x

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Sun May 04, 2008 10:40 am

2 things I noticed:

How is Petra the ONLY so-called Christian band mentioned ... I mean if THEY notice Petra why can't the rest of the world?!?!

How did they come up with ALL of that for Petra, and Def Lepard (the band who gave out the backstage sex passes) only got mentioned for having one song (Photograph) that was about sex??!?!

So dumb it is rather comical :roll:
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun May 04, 2008 11:26 am

This is one of those sites with an "I hate rock music" agenda--We had a discussion about some of those awhile back, I don't know if this is the same one or not. Their ideas are pretty screwed up, they think rock music is evil in and of itself.

Sue's right, they aren't worth bothering with. Blah.
0 x

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Sun May 04, 2008 6:28 pm

This is just another one of these "all rock music is evil" sites. Believe it or not, these people are actually trying to do a good thing. However, in the end, all they end up doing is giving Christians and Christianity a bad name. And their accusations on Petra just prove that most of time they do not even do their research or know what they are talking about. Pray for these people.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sun May 04, 2008 7:21 pm

It's leglalism, and legalism is never a good thing.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sun May 04, 2008 7:53 pm

petrafan1 wrote:whoever does that website must listen to alot of that music, they know more about than i do!
Ah hahaha that was pretty good.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sun May 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Much of this actually has racially motivated origins, often without it's modern advocates even realizing that the reason their parents and grandparents argued the way they did (which they carry on) was because of a Euro-centric view of the musical arts.

paticularly note:

Dissonant / Offensive Sound

I also have a problem with the expectation that the unbeliever would be anything but an unbeliever. The things of God are foolishness to him because they are spiritually discerned and he is spiritually dead. While reforming their actions is not a bad thing, we can not moralize people into the Kingdom. They will simply live moral lives while continuing to be worldly minded and suffer judgement yet. In fact there is a pervasive worldliness in the attitude of those who are such unnecessary ascetics. It's all do not handle do not touch do not taste. Reactionism is idolatrous.

I like the nod to Sympathy for the Devil, which does not necessarily present a totally unorthodox view, mostly saying that the Devil does evil and we help him.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed May 07, 2008 6:54 am

Part of my reason for not getting into Def Leppard was their obsession with chess. I just can't get into intellectual rock such as theirs.

Alarmist buffoonery is all this is. It makes old people (the 30+ crowd) real happy.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

lucasmcgraw
Pethead
Pethead

Post by lucasmcgraw » Wed May 07, 2008 8:03 am

The reason I stopped listening to Def Leppard is the song Love Bites. If you listen carefully as the song fades you will hear a voice say "Jesus of Nazareth, go to hell." When I first heard it I felt like someone just punched me in the gut. I stopped listening to all Def Leppard at that moment.

It was shortly after that event that Beyond Belief came out. God provided a godly substitute for me.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 am

lucasmcgraw wrote:The reason I stopped listening to Def Leppard is the song Love Bites. If you listen carefully as the song fades you will hear a voice say "Jesus of Nazareth, go to hell." When I first heard it I felt like someone just punched me in the gut. I stopped listening to all Def Leppard at that moment.

It was shortly after that event that Beyond Belief came out. God provided a godly substitute for me.

Your full of crap! Sorry but I've listened and listened to it over again and I hear nothing like that.
0 x

lucasmcgraw
Pethead
Pethead

Post by lucasmcgraw » Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 am

With a little bit of research I have found that I am not the only one who has heard that. However, the band denies it. I have heard it my self and it does blasphemious. My guess is that they did it on purpose to sell records. There was all kinds of occultic (Satanic) things done in music back then just for record sales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Bites ... pard_song)
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

good ol' DL

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 pm

I checked the article for myself and actually it claims they said something different.

A popular rumor about the song concerns the final seconds. After the line "If you got love in your sights, Watch out, Love Bites", what is seemingly heard is "Jesus of Nazareth, Go to ****" . This rumor has been refuted by the band, most notably on a Hysteria documentary. The line is in fact producer Mutt Lange rambling in a Yorkshire accent, to the effect of "Yes it does, Bloody ****", with the aid of a vocoder.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

luv beitz

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 pm

More sites that state that Def Leppard did not say the "Jesus of Nazareth" thing

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5114
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 455AAyKR1k
http://www.defleppard.com/faq/index.html (question #24)
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed May 07, 2008 12:54 pm

I do believe we've had similar discussions in the past about this sort of thing. :)

I think too much emphasis has been put on stuff like backmasking; there is plenty of nasty stuff that can be heard all too clearly without getting bogged down in stuff that that can't be heard clearly.

Sure, the occult and Satan is something to stay away from, and of course there are things that Christians shouldn't participate in or subject themselves to-but the enemy only has as much power as we allow him. He knows he was defeated at the cross and he's a coward and a backstabber and wants to make us think he's tougher than he really is. One of the ways he can do that is to try to make us think he can take a particular song or book or movie or whatever and make it "evil". That stuff isn't evil in and of itself. Anything that makes us take our focus off of God and prevents us from living like we're the victors and we've won the war is going to be a problem. I think Christians tend to give the enemy more credit than he deserves and don't live like they've won the war and that's part of his scheme.
0 x