Double Take strings - real or synthesizer?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Double Take strings - real or synthesizer?

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Thu May 29, 2008 10:33 pm

By listening to them I can't really tell. Did they use real string instruments on the album or did they just have Trent or somebody dink around with a keyboard set on "Strings"?
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri May 30, 2008 8:27 am

Those are real - look at the liner notes.

I had sent an email to the Nashville string group (I can't remember the exact name) expressing my appreciation of their work (especially on CREED) and I did get an answer, which affirms the fact that yes - they were live strings, and they had also performed on other Petra albums as well (though I can't remember which ones off the top of my head).
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat May 31, 2008 10:46 am

That'd be No Doubt. Think Twice has strings in it. I checked the liner notes and it's Nashville String Machine.
0 x

petrarckman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrarckman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I dont know why, but some people were dissapointed with Double Take Album, but I really love it! Sometimes you can compare a new arrange and the original one, and of course it's different, because there were done in diferent times, different technologies, and with the original ones most of us have grate memories, and maybe it is why some were dissapointed, but I can say that I really love that CD, the sound is very fresh and in some songs I do prefer the new versions than the old ones!

Greetings!
0 x
Waiting for II Guyz from PETRA!!!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Well, I HATE it.

The melodies are nothing memorable. That is what makes a song pop. That is what gives it staying power in the mind. They went out of their way to change the melodies, which in some cases sound monotone to me. The accompaniment was sickening-Nashvegas-sweet. It was too Christian-music-from-Brentwood-sounding.

Every artist poos a big one. This was Petras one and only IMNSHO. YMMV. Glad someone is blessed by it though. Glad we live in a country where we still have a choice.
0 x

jmatd
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jmatd » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:01 am

I dislike Double Take because I think that thay would do a better job with the idea to do an acoustic version of the old songs...

I was expecting for it and when I listened it I feel disapointed ("desilusionado" in spanish).

I think that they abused with the strings I would like more acoustic guitar and armonic (like praying man)... I was wainting something like Swing Swang Swung of Guardian...

Its courius but they won the Grammy with that Album....
0 x
...Jesus, Jesus, Jesus... Loves You

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 am

I don't like it either... It's a case of total lack of inspiration. Take some old texts and make some new half bad melodies for them.... If they had used the same melodies, then I would see the point better. In fact, around 1988 I had an idea that I thought it would be cool if Petra recorded some of the old songs with the present sound... Imagine "Second Wind" or "Angel of light" with the sound of the On Fire album for example...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 am

jmatd wrote:I dislike Double Take because I think that thay would do a better job with the idea to do an acoustic version of the old songs...

I was expecting for it and when I listened it I feel disapointed ("desilusionado" in spanish).

I think that they abused with the strings I would like more acoustic guitar and armonic (like praying man)... I was wainting something like Swing Swang Swung of Guardian...

Its courius but they won the Grammy with that Album....
Popularity and sales has nothing to do with the Grammy. The Grammy is by the industry for the industry. It is a boys club. It's hard to get in. But if you are in....MILK IT!
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: ...

Post by separateunion » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Matthew RJ wrote:Grammy's or Doves?
Probably both to some extent, I would imagine.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes. Both are the same. Whoever pays to belong votes. Nominations and votes are political. It is all about scatching someone else's back so that they will scratch yours.

The fans vote with their wallets. Well, now they don't even do that. They have thrown away their votes by getting music for free. So, the artist and the label think that they need to go a different direction. It's all a big freakin' mess.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:09 pm

We could bring up the Double Take debate again... but everyone has their own opinion about it (personally, it's a very calm, relaxing, snuggle up-to-a-fire-with-a-blanket kind of feel for me). petrarckman, I think we're in the minority as far as liking it.

But Brent - if we used your logic on Grammys, then WHY in the world did Petra win in 2000 -- at a time when they were out of contract with Word, they were NOT the biggest act at the time, their past few albums didn't break any ground, and they hadn't won any Grammys since Wake up Call - 1994?

What would 'the Boys Club' have to gain by voting for Petra in 2000? Or do you think it was a case of "there's no one else to vote for?"

THAT can't be it, because wasn't it Third Day they were up against?

(you can see photos of the actual Grammy award/statue here: http://johnwschlitt.com/fans/awards.htm)
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:27 am

Count me in as another "Double Take" fan. I was pleased that it wasn't just a straightforward acoustic cover album but that each song was subtly (and not so subtly in some cases) rearranged to sound fresh yet familiar. For my money it's a quality album that I enjoy listening to.
0 x

corolla1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by corolla1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 pm

sue d. wrote:We could bring up the Double Take debate again... but everyone has their own opinion about it (personally, it's a very calm, relaxing, snuggle up-to-a-fire-with-a-blanket kind of feel for me). petrarckman, I think we're in the minority as far as liking it.

But Brent - if we used your logic on Grammys, then WHY in the world did Petra win in 2000 -- at a time when they were out of contract with Word, they were NOT the biggest act at the time, their past few albums didn't break any ground, and they hadn't won any Grammys since Wake up Call - 1994?

What would 'the Boys Club' have to gain by voting for Petra in 2000? Or do you think it was a case of "there's no one else to vote for?"

(you can see photos of the actual Grammy award/statue here: http://johnwschlitt.com/fans/awards.htm)
I liked Double Take too. It's a shame it didn't sell better. I noticed it isn't sold on petramerchandise.com either.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:53 pm

sue d. wrote:What would 'the Boys Club' have to gain by voting for Petra in 2000? Or do you think it was a case of "there's no one else to vote for?"
Perhaps DT was viewed at the time as Petra's swan song, and the Boys' Club wanted to send them out a winner...or get rid of them?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 pm

sue d. wrote:We could bring up the Double Take debate again... but everyone has their own opinion about it (personally, it's a very calm, relaxing, snuggle up-to-a-fire-with-a-blanket kind of feel for me). petrarckman, I think we're in the minority as far as liking it.

It is not connected to the labels all of the time. It can be a connected producer, engineer, artist, etc. It IS a club. Only paying members nominate and vote. The membership is composed of label personnel, industry personnel, artists, etc. NO fans, unless they like wasting lots of cash. There might be some. But I bet that I could count on one hand the number of CCM fans.
0 x