Petra´s Band Members.. Petheads?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
jmatd
Pethead
Pethead

Petra´s Band Members.. Petheads?

Post by jmatd » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Another question about the petra´s members....

Do you know if anyone of them (take off Bob and John) still listening or following Petra after they left the band?... were or are any of them still "pethead"?
0 x
...Jesus, Jesus, Jesus... Loves You

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Obviously we won't know that about all of them.

It's hard to explain, but musicians don't generally listen to their own work for enjoyment. Some cannot stand to listen to work they have done at all.

Two former players told me "those guys need to hang it up." Another considered his time with the band as the glory years.

I don't bet, but if I did, I would bet that the CDs are probably badges of honor and scars of battle, in an industry that had it's head up it's tushy, rather than listening pleasure.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:07 pm

Two former players told me "those guys need to hang it up."
That's a really crude and rude statement to make.

Perhaps if they would have seen, heard and read the wonderful messages and responses from people who have been at II Guys' concerts they would think twice about saying such a thing.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Sue, I realize the relationship you have with John, but that doesn't mean that people can't have an opinion, and it definitely doesn't mean their opinion was wrong. I think you are a bit overly defensive of John and the band at times.
Last edited by separateunion on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

jmatd
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jmatd » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Last edited by jmatd on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jmatd
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jmatd » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 pm

It's hard to explain, but musicians don't generally listen to their own work for enjoyment. Some cannot stand to listen to work they have done at all.

Two former players told me "those guys need to hang it up." Another considered his time with the band as the glory years.

I don't bet, but if I did, I would bet that the CDs are probably badges of honor and scars of battle, in an industry that had it's head up it's tushy, rather than listening pleasure

The point is... if some of them felt that they were in "the music industry" or they felt that they were in a Ministry with Fellowships...

I dont know you, but I love Petra because of their ministry and clear message more than their music (it was fantastic...but another in "christian music industry" may be did better music by them)...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:08 pm

sue d. wrote:
Two former players told me "those guys need to hang it up."
That's a really crude and rude statement to make.

Perhaps if they would have seen, heard and read the wonderful messages and responses from people who have been at II Guys' concerts they would think twice about saying such a thing.
The comments were made about three years ago. Long before II Guys. It wasn't personal. It was in the context of viability in the market at that time.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Petra ministered. No doubt about that. But Petra was a for profit band in a for profit industry.

Again. Musicians are not usually fans of their own music like we are. Musicians cannot disassociate their music from the "stuff" we cannot see or know about. They have tastes that are often compromised or set aside for the common good of the band. When musicians write, record and perform consistantly, the LAST thing many want to hear is their music. They need a brake from what removed them from life, their families, money, jobs, etc. They like to listen to what inspires them. That is not often themselves. I can't explain it any other way.

I know from talking to some of the guys that there are some that talk occassionally. But what I am about to say is applicable to other bands as well.

Being in a band is different than teaching Sunday school and hanging with the teachers. Bandmates are basically married to each other, in close quarters, and sometimes sick of each other. They have creative and performance tension. They live life in a fish bowl, with everyone watching all of the time. They fight a music and style viability war. It doesn't matter what you want to do ministry wise. You are selling a product. If you are not in style, then you cannot sell. If you cannot sell, you cannot make a living. It is about business. It has nothing to do with God sometimes, because the people of the world who buy music have changing tastes. God is not tied to one genre or formula. It is not all fun and games.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:39 am

The comments were made about three years ago. Long before II Guys. It wasn't personal. It was in the context of viability in the market at that time.
OK... that changes the context some, but still rude imho.

Bryan Duncan has been writing very humorous blogs about the music biz and all sides involved. Some of them may be in his Nifty Noodles section on his website: http://www.bryand.com/home.html

He's working on a book that will contain all his 'observations' on life and music... I read a few excerpts - they're great!
0 x