Lefties in Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
biggestfan
Pethead
Pethead

Lefties in Petra

Post by biggestfan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Kinda random question, but were any of Petra's members lefties? Like Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon? :P
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:11 pm

I believe it was Paul McCartney, not John Lennon, who was the lefty Beatle, but I'm not positive about that. As for Petra, I really have no idea. :)
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:27 pm

Paul McCartney was a lefty. I'm not sure about Lennon. Many people play guitar right handed even though they are left handed.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

biggestfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by biggestfan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm

yeah, that's right; sorry. I'm a lefty that plays righty guitar, so I know.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm

I don't know if anyone from Petra is left handed, but as for the Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are left handed. John Lennon and George Harrison were right handed.

Good survival rate for lefties.

Jimi Hendrix could also play guitar right handed.

I happen to be utterly left dominant and I understand the innate tendency to notice other lefties.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:27 am

Lies!! All filthy contemptable lies from the very PIT!!!! Lies!!! How dare you accuse .....

Oh. You meant left handed. I thought you meant ... like ... you know ... liberals.

Sorry.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:06 pm

knotodiswrld wrote:Lies!! All filthy contemptable lies from the very PIT!!!! Lies!!! How dare you accuse .....

Oh. You meant left handed. I thought you meant ... like ... you know ... liberals.

Sorry.
Don't even start here unless you want to ignite another Matthew RJ fire storm. You're new, so I'll give you a quick warning: not everyone here is a bleeding heart Republican who thinks that liberals are evil.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead

Post by knotodiswrld » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:18 pm

I would have thought the jest was plain. :roll: The exaggerated rhetoric ... the word "liberal" in tiny whispered script ... all quite over-the-top and quite difficult to take seriously, or so one would expect. :?

But now you have my curiosity peaked. What is a "Matthew RJ Firestorm like"? How can one set one of these off? Is it the sort of thing that if you've seen one, you've seen them all, or are there different kinds?

Must .... resist .... urge .... to .... pick .... a .... fight .....

:wink:
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:48 am

knotodiswrld wrote:I would have thought the jest was plain. :roll: The exaggerated rhetoric ... the word "liberal" in tiny whispered script ... all quite over-the-top and quite difficult to take seriously, or so one would expect. :?
I realize it was in jest, however, people who might have a liberal bent, politically speaking, might take offense to your joke and RJ doesn't need much to set him off.
But now you have my curiosity peaked. What is a "Matthew RJ Firestorm like"? How can one set one of these off? Is it the sort of thing that if you've seen one, you've seen them all, or are there different kinds?
Check any of the threads in the "Politics" forum. You have a 90% chance of finding one.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Re: put your left hand in and shake it all about

Post by Jonathan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Matthew RJ wrote:the same courteousy seems to be lacking
I wouldn't think you'd want the same courtesy in return for what you afford to those who differ with you.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead

Post by knotodiswrld » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Oh, Jonathan! The horrors one can wreak with photoshop!

That picture creates an image in my head of Bob Hartman and Michael Sweet simultaneously sitting straight up in their beds (miles and miles apart), and simultaneously saying, "I just had the most horrible dream .... "

It's amazing how a little joke turned a thread on left-handedness into a political thread. Should a mod move the thread, now? Should it split off?

I must say, I find the very idea of arguing over politics on a board dedicated to the memory of the greatest Christian Rock Band of all time to be undesirable.
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead

Post by knotodiswrld » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 am

"Homeless Few" and "Hollow Eyes" are both great songs, and meant to motivate people to take action. I know both songs have been used that way. In that respect, they are great songs.

However, when people think of "favorite songs", they are going to think of songs that lift their spirits.

You "favorite" song may not always be the one that actually did you the most good. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, the dentist's drill hurts even though it's necessary and is doing good. Some of Petra's songs hurt too much to ever be "favorites". But they did a world of good.

One of the things that made Petra such a great band, and far better than most of today's bands, was that their music did both. Some songs lifted the spirit (such as The Water Is Alive). Some songs were a call to action (such as Homeless Few, Hollow Eyes). Some songs admonished the church to clean it's act up (Shakin' the House). Some songs actually taught theology (Grave Robber, All The King's Horses, It Is Finished). Some songs built the faith ("Get On Your Knees and Fight Like A Man", "Beat The System"). Some convicted us of sin ("Judas Kiss", "Run For Cover"). Some pointed out errors into which the church as a whole seemed to be falling ("Witch Hunt", "Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows").

Today's CCM, while often uplifting, just doesn't have the depth that Petra brought to the game. Petra's music was very crucial in the early development of my faith. I just don't know where my life would have gone without it. Oh, I suppose you could say, "God would have used something else to develop your faith had there been no Petra," and no doubt this is true. But I can't imagine what would have done the job so well, and the same time being so good.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:33 am

Jonathan can get very creative with his Photoshopic skills! And we've seen that more than once.

knot, you stated the lyrical content of Petra so very well.

I DO have to laugh at your comment a few posts back:

"Must .... resist .... urge .... to .... pick .... a .... fight ..... "

Hehehe....
0 x