Bob Hartman Guitars

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983
x 206

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:29 am

I was in the Nashville Hardrock Cafe a couple years ago and they definitely had some Petra stuff in it: Bob's guitar from Beat the System, Ronny Cates' bass, a cymbal signed by Louie Weaver, and John Lawry's hand held keyboard.
0 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm

I know that this is a "zombie" thread, but Bob is still building custom guitars on a one-off basis. He uses parts from Warmoth, primarily - nothing wrong with that, since he uses Warmoth parts to build his own personal guitars as well. He is currently building one for me, which should be ready in a couple of months.
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am
x 91

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by curt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 pm

Rich K. wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I know that this is a "zombie" thread, but Bob is still building custom guitars on a one-off basis. He uses parts from Warmoth, primarily - nothing wrong with that, since he uses Warmoth parts to build his own personal guitars as well. He is currently building one for me, which should be ready in a couple of months.
I have always wondered to what extent he made the guitars by parts he bought elsewhere. I would have no problem buying something he build using parts from Warmoth. There is a lot more to building a guitar than putting the parts together. Getting it setup correctly is also an interesting and important part.
2 x

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985
x 34

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by wildmanpetra » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Rich K. wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I know that this is a "zombie" thread, but Bob is still building custom guitars on a one-off basis. He uses parts from Warmoth, primarily - nothing wrong with that, since he uses Warmoth parts to build his own personal guitars as well. He is currently building one for me, which should be ready in a couple of months.
What style is he building for you? Strat, LP, etc.?

How much is he charging now? (If you don't mind me asking...)
2 x

JRoyGreen
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:21 pm
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1989
x 2

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by JRoyGreen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Bob makes good guitars, as there is more to it than just the parts. I owned one of his tele-style, and really liked it.
I keep this one because... well, because:
It was #6 of the 7 J&H guitars he made, and he has since sold the one he kept for himself.
Attachments
Jekyll.jpeg
Jekyll.jpeg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
2 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Thu May 06, 2021 5:25 pm

wildmanpetra wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Rich K. wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I know that this is a "zombie" thread, but Bob is still building custom guitars on a one-off basis. He uses parts from Warmoth, primarily - nothing wrong with that, since he uses Warmoth parts to build his own personal guitars as well. He is currently building one for me, which should be ready in a couple of months.
What style is he building for you? Strat, LP, etc.?

How much is he charging now? (If you don't mind me asking...)
$1500, and it's a Strat (rear-routed, with no pick-guard). Swamp ash body with clear blue finish, extra-wide maple neck with pau ferro fretboard, '59 roundback profile, and 1-7/8" wide Tusq nut (I have thick fingers and tend to hit too many strings at once on a standard width neck), Seymour Duncan pickups (P-Rail at the bridge, Custom Staggered at the neck and center), Wilkinson tremolo bridge, and Sperzel locking tuners.
Last edited by Rich K. on Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Thu May 06, 2021 5:26 pm

JRoyGreen wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm
Bob makes good guitars, as there is more to it than just the parts. I owned one of his tele-style, and really liked it.
I keep this one because... well, because:
It was #6 of the 7 J&H guitars he made, and he has since sold the one he kept for himself.
I think he must have built another one, then, because he was playing it at the concert in Steelville, MO last October :) 8)
1 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Thu May 06, 2021 5:30 pm

curt wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 pm
Rich K. wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I know that this is a "zombie" thread, but Bob is still building custom guitars on a one-off basis. He uses parts from Warmoth, primarily - nothing wrong with that, since he uses Warmoth parts to build his own personal guitars as well. He is currently building one for me, which should be ready in a couple of months.
I have always wondered to what extent he made the guitars by parts he bought elsewhere. I would have no problem buying something he build using parts from Warmoth. There is a lot more to building a guitar than putting the parts together. Getting it setup correctly is also an interesting and important part.
Yup! He said he's building it for maximum versatility, playability, and also choosing parts (like the tremolo bridge and tuners) so that it will best stay in tune (Strats are notorious for going out of tune easily, especially with certain tremolo types).
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am
x 91

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by curt » Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm

Rich K. wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:30 pm
curt wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 pm
Rich K. wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I know that this is a "zombie" thread, but Bob is still building custom guitars on a one-off basis. He uses parts from Warmoth, primarily - nothing wrong with that, since he uses Warmoth parts to build his own personal guitars as well. He is currently building one for me, which should be ready in a couple of months.
I have always wondered to what extent he made the guitars by parts he bought elsewhere. I would have no problem buying something he build using parts from Warmoth. There is a lot more to building a guitar than putting the parts together. Getting it setup correctly is also an interesting and important part.
Yup! He said he's building it for maximum versatility, playability, and also choosing parts (like the tremolo bridge and tuners) so that it will best stay in tune (Strats are notorious for going out of tune easily, especially with certain tremolo types).
And it's all those seemingly small details that end up making a huge difference. I am able to do a setup myself under normal conditions - that is if everything is working as it should (truss rods and the like). And spending the time on getting it just right and making sure the intonation and everything is as it should be makes a huge difference.

For years I wanted a strat but was reluctant since I was concerned about tuning stability. What I did when I bought a strat-type guitar was to simply block the tremolo with a piece of wood. That was rather easy since the bridge was already lying flat to the body when I got it, so it could only move in one direction. Now it cannot move in any direction. I never used the tremolo anyway and now the guitar stays in tune really well.

Telecasters or t-style guitars build along the original lines are monsters when it comes to stying in tune. They are often called workhorses. In my opinion they are some very beautiful and sophisticated workhorses and sound great. The tone of a strat, however, has a character that is hard to describe but very easy to recognize. Like Jeff Beck said, there are certain things you can only play on a strat. Strats and teles are my favourite guitars.

Hope you get your guitar soon and that everything turns out the way you like it.
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am
x 91

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by curt » Fri May 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Rich K. wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:26 pm
JRoyGreen wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm
Bob makes good guitars, as there is more to it than just the parts. I owned one of his tele-style, and really liked it.
I keep this one because... well, because:
It was #6 of the 7 J&H guitars he made, and he has since sold the one he kept for himself.
I think he must have built another one, then, because he was playing it at the concert in Steelville, MO last October :) 8)
At a concert in Sweden he borrowed a J&H guitar from a fan he had sold it to. I heard him say very recently that he does not own one himself. That can have changed or perhaps he borrowed one again. Anyway though I don't need any more guitars at the moment I would by one of those if I had the chance. They seem a bit PRS-like to me.
1 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Fri May 07, 2021 5:24 pm

curt wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm
And it's all those seemingly small details that end up making a huge difference. I am able to do a setup myself under normal conditions - that is if everything is working as it should (truss rods and the like). And spending the time on getting it just right and making sure the intonation and everything is as it should be makes a huge difference.

For years I wanted a strat but was reluctant since I was concerned about tuning stability. What I did when I bought a strat-type guitar was to simply block the tremolo with a piece of wood. That was rather easy since the bridge was already lying flat to the body when I got it, so it could only move in one direction. Now it cannot move in any direction. I never used the tremolo anyway and now the guitar stays in tune really well.

Telecasters or t-style guitars build along the original lines are monsters when it comes to stying in tune. They are often called workhorses. In my opinion they are some very beautiful and sophisticated workhorses and sound great. The tone of a strat, however, has a character that is hard to describe but very easy to recognize. Like Jeff Beck said, there are certain things you can only play on a strat. Strats and teles are my favourite guitars.

Hope you get your guitar soon and that everything turns out the way you like it.
That's why Bob is using a Wilkinson tremolo and Sperzel locking tuners. Apparently he's had good luck with those staying in tune. He says Floyd Rose trem bridges are good, but they take a LOT of fiddling to get them working right.
0 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:52 am

Picked up my guitar on Saturday. Bob, Kim, and Jeff Hartman met my wife, my mother-in-law, and I in Knoxville, TN for lunch, and Bob gave me the guitar afterwards. It's AWESOME!
Image
Image
Image
Image
1 x

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985
x 34

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by wildmanpetra » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 am

That is great!!!!! Congrats sir!!!!
Always wanted to try to get one from him….
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am
x 91

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by curt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:27 am

Great. Enjoy it.
1 x

Rich K.
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1985
x 13

Re: Bob Hartman Guitars

Post by Rich K. » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:55 pm

curt wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:27 am
Great. Enjoy it.
Oh, believe me, I am! 8) It plays really well - fits my hands as good as I hoped it would, and sounds great, too!
1 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests