Breathe In

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:33 am

I am vehemently pro-DT.

I thought the Orta out front on "Breathe In" was his audition to assume the reins from John upon his impending retirement. That was before I was in any place to know about any of the actual goings-on in the band, so I was wrong. I think this bias made me never see it as a Petra song, since that song is like 1-of-(insert large number) Petra songs with John or Greg.

It is, ironically, my wife's favorite Petra song.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:18 pm

It seems to me to be the ugly duckling. I don't really like the song as a Petra-song. Musically it doesn't really fit into what Pete did on his solo album, which is actually quite good. So I think it falls short of both Petra and Pete Orta.

I've seen them perform it live once and for me it didn't work. But I think that also had something to do with the live mix. Pete was using his background mic when doing lead vocals and John used his lead vocal mic for his background vocals. It wasn't very convincing.

Also, Pete Orta is in the studio a much better singer than live.
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

i crose my eyes and i dleam - bleathe in

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I love John's voice but it is also nice to hear someone else sing lead vocals sometimes for a change. I think Pete Orta's voice was perfect for "Breathe In." This song may not sound like a typical Petra song but I think it's a beautiful song anyway, probably my favorite on the entire Double Take album. It's very unique.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ