Favoutite album without the "Dream team"

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 am

Jekyll & Hyde, and More Power To Ya
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 pm

DO go and listen to Jannice & Rickard's (above & link below) version of ONLY MEN -- it's wonderful!

http://www.myspace.com/jannicerickard

separateunion, those are hilarious!
0 x

SkyCaptain
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by SkyCaptain » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Yea, I like the cover of "Only Men!" 8)
0 x

WR1U
Pethead
Pethead

Post by WR1U » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:02 am

More power to ya, back to the street and this means war.
0 x
Down the corridor or life in between our death and birth
We may start to lose our way in the search to find our worth
Our value comes in the fact we live
Life is a gift only God can give

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

¿Es la guerra?

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Oh yeah...I forgot that Back to the Street and ¡This Means War! were options...since Mark Kelly played bass...

So my favorite pre-/post- dream team album is actually ¿This Means War!
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Ok, so I understand that "The Dream Team" era was when Petra was at their popularity pinnacle, but isn't the dream team supposed to be the best members? No knock on Ronnie, but I think he was one of the least talented bass players Petra ever had. Mark Kelley was better. Greg Bailey was better. Lonnie Chapin may have been the best bassist they ever had. So, shouldn't the dream team era really be "Back to the Street" and "This Means War"?
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:42 am

separateunion wrote:Ok, so I understand that "The Dream Team" era was when Petra was at their popularity pinnacle, but isn't the dream team supposed to be the best members? No knock on Ronnie, but I think he was one of the least talented bass players Petra ever had. Mark Kelley was better. Greg Bailey was better. Lonnie Chapin may have been the best bassist they ever had. So, shouldn't the dream team era really be "Back to the Street" and "This Means War"?
I hear ya on this, however, "Dream Team" has unofficially been given to the members during the BB years. When most people think of Petra, that's whom they think of.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:03 am

cvs2kids wrote:
separateunion wrote:Ok, so I understand that "The Dream Team" era was when Petra was at their popularity pinnacle, but isn't the dream team supposed to be the best members? No knock on Ronnie, but I think he was one of the least talented bass players Petra ever had. Mark Kelley was better. Greg Bailey was better. Lonnie Chapin may have been the best bassist they ever had. So, shouldn't the dream team era really be "Back to the Street" and "This Means War"?
I hear ya on this, however, "Dream Team" has unofficially been given to the members during the BB years. When most people think of Petra, that's whom they think of.
I know. Just pointing out the fallacy in the terminology.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:14 am

Schlitt, Hartman, Simmons, Bailey may has been the Dream Team of the reason that I think they were the best musicians Petra ever had. Unless... after thinking it over, II Guys from Petra could also classified as the Dream Team of Petra. Just a thought =)
sue d. wrote:DO go and listen to Jannice & Rickard's (above & link below) version of ONLY MEN -- it's wonderful!

http://www.myspace.com/jannicerickard
SkyCaptain wrote:Yea, I like the cover of "Only Men!"
Thank you!! We're currently recording and writing new stuff (own written material to), so please visit our MySpace at regular intervals... :wink: We have just recorded an acoustic cover of "Just Reach Out", we'll publish it tomorrow I think, for a little while.
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

Vic
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Vic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 am

I very much agree. I haven't had the privilege of listening to Petra live, but from the video and the albums that I've listened to, Lonnie sounds best to me.

Apart from his techniques, I prefer his head-swelling deep bass sound. Was he behind the bass solo in the track God Fixation? That's one unforgettable piece though the song doesn't seem to be a favourite here at the zone (regrettably).
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:50 am

Vic wrote:
I very much agree. I haven't had the privilege of listening to Petra live, but from the video and the albums that I've listened to, Lonnie sounds best to me.

Apart from his techniques, I prefer his head-swelling deep bass sound. Was he behind the bass solo in the track God Fixation? That's one unforgettable piece though the song doesn't seem to be a favourite here at the zone (regrettably).
Lonnie's style didn't really fit well with the straight forward sound Petra was known for, but he was still the most talented bassist they had, in my opinion.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Ange
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Ange » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 am

Sorry guys.........IMHO, Ronny was definitely the best by far!

But, back to the subject, my favorite non-dream team album is More Power To Ya......the album that had just come out the first time I saw Petra.
0 x
www.myspace.com/angetims

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Petra

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I would say that depends on how old you are. When I think of Petra I think of the first dream team which was GXV, Bob, Louie, Mark and John Slick. IMO Petra was at the peak of their career from the time they released More Power to Ya through the time they released Beyond Belief. Everything outside of that was either on the way up or on the way down.

The best albums outside of that target zone were probably Never Say Die with Greg and Wake Up Call with John.

The weakest albums would have to be Double Take and Revival.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:12 am

I agree. Unless you have heard them all live, and have heard everything that they can do, it is hard to say who was best technically. All we can do is prefer who was best in the era of preference.

I maintain that Mark Kelly was the best well-rounded bass player and Slick the best all round keys player. He was borderline genious.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:34 am

brent wrote:I agree. Unless you have heard them all live, and have heard everything that they can do, it is hard to say who was best technically. All we can do is prefer who was best in the era of preference.

I maintain that Mark Kelly was the best well-rounded bass player and Slick the best all round keys player. He was borderline genious.

I'm one of the few that have seen all the incarnations of Petra since 1981. I didn't miss a tour from the Never Say Die tour in Orange, Tx to the Farewell Tour in Irving, Tx. My dream Team is:

Bob Hartman
John Schlitt
John Lawry
Paul Simmons
Mark Kelly

These is my mind are the best five(in position) that Petra had. One note on your comment about John Slick is I really liked his style, but I was very young and really wasn't into the keys area so much at that time; Those first couple of tours I was really just watching Bob and Louie.
BTW the one true weak link IMO with these incarnations was Greg Volz. I don't care what anyone says about this; His vocal style was NOT made for the rock style Petra was playing much less that of any rock style. Greg is a GREAT vocalist, but his voice is suited for Pop to AC.
0 x