Sue D - found another article

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

Sue D - found another article

Post by sacrod » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:21 pm

Hi Sue,

I found another Petra article... wasn't sure whether you had it, so I thought I'd ask. It's the Campus Life Jan 1996 issue. Petra has the front page, and the title says, "Rock Solid: Up Close and on the Road with Petra."

Let me know if you have it. If not, I can scan this in for you. Email dchung23 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks,

Dorcas
0 x
"and love is not the easy thing/ the only baggage that you can bring/ it's all that you can't leave behind" - U2

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

I'LL TAKE IT!

Post by sue d. » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:52 pm

I have nothing from Campus life.... yes, scan it, please!

thanks!!!

If nothing else, jws.com will have the LARGEST amount of original Petra archived material out there.... :D
0 x

sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

ok

Post by sacrod » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:35 pm

OK... what were the dimensions or size that you wanted them again?
0 x
"and love is not the easy thing/ the only baggage that you can bring/ it's all that you can't leave behind" - U2

sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

In your inbox

Post by sacrod » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:42 am

Hi Sue... I found a previous email you sent me and was able to resize the articles to the size you had suggested earlier. They should be in your inbox now, with an additional picture from a Beyond Belief tour I attended a while back....

The picture from the Petra concert was a part of a one-day concert series called Joy Celebration (now called JoyFest) at Great America. In addition to Petra pictures, I also have pics of Whiteheart, Steven Curtis Chapman, and dc Talk. If anyone's interested in seeing those, let me know. I can try to scan those in sometime.
0 x

sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

Found some more...

Post by sacrod » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:49 pm

Found some more old Petra things... I used to keep a music scrapbook back 10-13 years ago, and cut out little excerpts about Petra from different magazines. I don't remember exactly which magazines some of these snippets or ads are from, but if you don't have these, let me know. Oh yeah, I looked back and saw that the Beyond Belief Petra concert is from Sept 28, 1991.

- photo insert from On Fire (?) songbook. Includes 9 pictures of the band.
- b&w photocopy from Dove Awards picture (Beyond Belief)
- 2-page spread advertisement for Beyond Belief video (titled "Seeing is Believing)
- 1-page advertisement for Backstage Pass (titled "60 Minutes of All New, All Out, Full Blown, In Your Face, Bigger than Life Petra!")
- Fast Look (I think from Release Magazine), a questionaire filled out by John Schlitt (in his own handwriting): includes Name, Hometown, Family, Birthday, Recent Reads, Currently on Stereo, Favorite Flick, and others.
- Simple Faith - a little quote & picture from Bob to describe sinfulness - "Petra's Bob Hartman touched on this relatively simple concept of sin and its confession: '...I think when you really come to realize how sinful sin is, then your conversion experience becomes equal to other people's regardless of how deep in sin you were. You realize that no matter how good you were, you were hopelessly lost without Christ. I think every Christian needs constant reminders of how sinful sin is and how much we need a Savior.'"
- Excerpt from John Schlitt advertising Teen Mania: "The band and I saw excited teenagers making a difference in their world. We got involved and were able to see God use young people to reach the world. We at Petra had a great time ministering overseas, I challenge you to go and do the same."
- b&w photocopy of Ronny Cates advertising his Peavey Sarzo Bass: "Visually, my purple Sarzo bass is a really pretty guitar; but, beyond that, it has a great, warm, high end sound which definitely fits my purpose. Go Peavey!"
- Spotlight - from a CD/tape mail club... Petra's Beyond Belief was the album of the month, and they had an insert w/ picture and article talking about the album and the band.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

I'll take it!

Post by sue d. » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:04 pm

Very cool! I'll take it!

I'll take everything except the On Fire pix - those I already have.

Just scan 'em like before (you can drop down to 150 dpi instead of 300) and just identify what magazine and year the scans come from, as best you can - at least gimme a good guess on the year.

History Channel, here we come! :)
0 x

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:51 pm

We are better than the History Channel. We have Petra
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

OK

Post by sacrod » Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:56 pm

Okee dokee....

As for the magazines and years, I have a vague memory of where some of these pictures come from. The copies I have now are just small random pieces that I cut out from extra mags that i had. I'll see if I have the chance to go back to the actual mags and see where they come from. In the meantime, hope you can wait a little longer to view them :)

Dorcas
0 x

sacrod
Pethead
Pethead

The big list

Post by sacrod » Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:09 pm

/me has a little too much time today... :) OK, I went back and compiled a more comprehensive list of old Petra sightings of the early 90s in the following three magazines: CCM, IM, and Release. Some of these will be repeats from previous lists that I've given you, and some of them may be pretty insignificant. They're not all articles... some are ads, some are really small pictures, some are tiny articles.... if you can just start all over and tell me the number that you want, I'll see when I have a chance to scan them in sometime.

CCM Magazine:
1. Ronny Cates' Peavey Sarzo bass guitar ad (Jan 1992)
2. Letter to editor regarding Petra (Mar 1992)
3. Album charts - Unseen Power tops album, and pop (Mar 1992)
4. Spoof review (very short) of Petra's Beyond Belief (entitled "Beyond Relief")... there are no images for this; only text (Apr 1992)
5. CCM Reader's choice awards - Fav. Rock Artist, Fav. Songwriter, Fav. Bassist, Fav. Drummer (Apr 1992)
6. Ad from Petra thanking their readers (Apr 1992)
7. Album Charts - Unseen Power tops rock charts (Apr 1992)
8. Ask CCM - Reader questions the status of Petra (Jul 1992)
9. John Lawry Peavey ad (Jul 1992)
10. CCM Treasure Test - small snippet on Petra (Oct 1993)
11. Petra - Wide Awake - front cover (Apr 1994)
12. Ad from Petra thanking their readers (May 1994)
13. CCM Reader's Choice Awards - Fav. Band, Fav. Album, Fav. Song, Fav. Bassist, Fav. Drummer (May 1994)
14. John Lawry Peavey keyboard ad (May 1994)
15. Dove winners (Jul 1994)
16. Petra with Compassion International (Jul 1994)
17. John Schlitt article (Mar 1995)
18. John Schlitt ad (Mar 1995)
19. No Doubt ad - the one where you have to stare at the picture for a long time to see a 3-D image (Apr 1997)

IM Magazine:
20. Beyond Belief ad (June/July 1990)
21. Beyond Belief video ad (June/July 1990)
22. Teen mania ad (Mar/Apr 1992)

Release Magazine:
23. Fast Look - John Schlitt questionaire (Fall 1991)
24. Simple Faith - Bob Hartman on sin (Fall 1991)
25. Penny and Louie Weaver marriage mini-article (Summer 1992)
26. Petra at Farm Aid (Summer 1992)
27. Backstage Pass ad (Fall 1992)
28. Wake Up Call ad (Fall 1993)
29. Spitting Image - John Schlitt looks like Fabio (Oct 1995)
30. No Doubt tour ad (Oct 1995)

The only thing I could not trace back to is the picture with the Elefantes that Petra took at the Dove Awards for Beyond Belief. I think it may have come from an old issue of a Nor Cal newspaper called Christian Music Today; however, i no longer have many of those issues. The year the pic was taken was the year Petra won for Group of the Year. I will send the photocopy that I do have.
0 x