Petra at Sonshine 2004 - An interview with an attendee

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
String
Pethead
Pethead

Petra at Sonshine 2004 - An interview with an attendee

Post by String » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:02 pm

The following is an interview (a crude one as I am not that experienced) with a friend from the same state as me (Minnesota) who attended the Petra set. I think she likes Petra but isn't as fanatic about them as most of us are on here. I just copied/pasted our MSN conversation. Sorry for the format of this!! Any further info will be placed as a reply.

Bev says:
Hi, did you get my e mail?
String says:
Yes, just got back on Fri. Sounds like you had a fun time!!
Bev says:
It was awesome!!
Bev says:
You were thought of when Petra played..
String says:
Hey, I mentioned that I had a friend go to Sonshine at http://www.thepetrazone.net and people asked me to get a mini-review from you.
Bev says:
really? Cool
String says:
One question asked was if Bob Hartman (Founder, guitarist, older dude, non-lead singer) spoke at all.
Bev says:
Yup, gave a short testemony.
Bev says:
whoops
Bev says:
you said non-lead singer
Bev says:
sorry,
String says:
Yeah.
String says:
So John gave a short testimony?
Bev says:
He did, he talked about how they began, and where they have gone, and the struggles inbetween.
Bev says:
And where God has them now.
Bev says:
they played some older music, and made joke on hoping they would get the words right..
String says:
If you don't mind, may I copy and paste this conversation into a post at The Petra Zone? I'll edit out the non-review stuff though.
Bev says:
lol
Bev says:
that's fine.
String says:
So, were you impressed with this 'geezer' of a band?
Bev says:
They were great!!
Bev says:
The one thing I like was how awesome they sound bringing in the rock and roll music and praising God.
String says:
What day did they play? I had to work Thursday and Friday and made it into town about 5 p.m. or so.
Bev says:
They have a great sense of humor.
Bev says:
you are going to ask me names of songs?
Bev says:
this lady can't name songs, but I can say they played a song my son used to listen to when he was a teenie bopper.
String says:
Well, I don't expect you to remember but if can can remember some of them, I am sure the rest of the 'Petheads' would appreciate a makeshift playlist.
Bev says:
if you possibly list a couple of older sogs from the 80s I may be able to help.
String says:
I bet they played Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows....maybe.
String says:
I am just trying to remember songs they have played at concerts before. Maybe not Rosed Colored Stained Glass Windows.
Bev says:
never allowing the world to come in.....
String says:
Beat your sister? I mean Beat The System?
Bev says:
lol
String says:
More with a rocky edge or were there some mellower tunes?
Bev says:
a couple of mellow, but mostly the rocky edge.
String says:
How long were they on stage?
Bev says:
maybe an hour or a little longer.
String says:
I am not a very good interviewer. The questions are all over the page!!
Bev says:
they have a new song out, and I have heard this song often, but can't memeber the name...name a couple of new songs.
Bev says:
for some reason I want to say midnight hour
Bev says:
or oil or something like that
String says:
Midnight Oil!! That is from the mid-90's.
String says:
I bet they played stuff from Jeckyll & Hyde.
Bev says:
LOL, ah yes
Bev says:
they did....
String says:
I like to go 'Wierd Al' on them sometimes. "Sometimes I feel like pickles and chives. Two foods are waging a war inside. One twists, one turns, I feel like I died!"
String says:
Sorry, cheap imitation of the Yankster!!
Bev says:
I wish I could be a better interview person...I know it was awesome to look around and see the thousands of people there,
String says:
Were the people in the crowd enjoying the band?
Bev says:
The MOSH pit was full.
Bev says:
People doing the wave.....
String says:
I am sorry, I cannot get used of the idea of people MOSHing to Christian Music. It's a personal issue I have to get over, I guess!! Maybe I am showing my age!!
Bev says:
LOL
Bev says:
the best however was to see the younger generation with their arms stretched out praising God...
Bev says:
Singing,
Bev says:
they sang a song and had the audience sing as loud as the could, and to hear the peoples voices echo all over...that was cool
Bev says:
There are times when you feel you can't go on
Bev says:
what song?
String says:
Of course, us Petheads like to credit Petra for starting the insurgence of Praise music. They pioneered it with their Petra Praise - The Rock Cried Out and later with Petra Praise II - We Need Jesus and then later (with a less impact) Revival.
String says:
That song would be "No Doubt"
Bev says:
when I looked at the wide screen, it was awesome to the Lead on his knees,,,
String says:
Mr. John Schlitt is an awesome man of Christ, that is a fact!!
Bev says:
it started off with a rocky fun get the audience going, then moved into praise and worship...
String says:
That is one of his favorite songs, I hear.
Bev says:
you may have to add words I'm missing.
Bev says:
lol
Bev says:
If I remember correctly they did Hollowed be thy name.
String says:
Oh yeah! That songs off the first Praise album they did....The Rock Cries Out.
Bev says:
I only say that because I can hear the words in my head
Bev says:
we had perfect seats, right by the sound system.
String says:
Were you deaf for a little bit after? I remember a concert in St. Paul (Augusta College, I think.) where my nephew and I went to see Petra. We got seats in front of the speaker about three rows from them. This was the tour after the Double Take album. (2001, I think) My first experience sitting in front of the speakers....of course, I didn't even think about earplugs.
String says:
I could barely hear John (Lead singer) talk to me later that night when we went through the autograph line.
Bev says:
well, it wasn't bad, you coiuld not talk to anyone near you, but we were back enough that we weren't near the front speakers.
String says:
I was able to get a playlist off the stage (and still have it) hand written on a restaurant napkin that they put together that day. I think that was a pretty good find.
Bev says:
okay I seem to remember something, and I can't remember if it was Petra or another band, but someone was there who hasn't been for a while? (maybe it was another band)
String says:
Hmmm. I could be wrong but I think Petra has been there once before in the past 5 years. Again, I could be wrong too.
Bev says:
I ment in the band....
Bev says:
someone who hasn't been with them for a while..
Bev says:
but like i said it could have been someone else. I saw so many.
String says:
Did they still have four in the band? Lead (John), bald headed dude, drummer, and older looking guitar dude?
Bev says:
yeah, they were all there,,
Bev says:
hmm
Bev says:
the drummer did a solo
String says:
I really like their newest album, Jeckyll & Hyde!!
Bev says:
that was way!!!!!! cool
String says:
Awesome!! I haven't seen the new drummer in concert except on TBN.
String says:
I hear he is pretty awesome.
String says:
Let me see if I have the names right: John Schlitt (Lead), Bob Hartman (Guitar/Founder), Greg Baily (Guitar..bass), and Paul Simmons (Drums).
Bev says:
The people were most definately glad by the sounds of them when they began the son Jekyll & Hyde.
Bev says:
song
String says:
Hey, wanna here a funny dream I had about Petra?
Bev says:
sure
String says:
I dreamt the lead singer John and I were chilling at an after concert party. John asked me if I wanted to join the band. I was so happy until I realized I am not noted to be the best singer and I don't play instruments very well. Talk about a dream turning from fantastic to really bumming me out!!
Bev says:
lol
String says:
Well, Bev, I should wind things down here. I have to get ready for work. Can you think of anything else that us Petra fanatics might find interesting about your stay in my hometown?
Bev says:
I tell you what while I am outside playing in my yard, I will think of that moment and will type you an e mail..
Bev says:
maybe without the pressure I can think of more stuff.
String says:
Sure, I'll just add it to the post as a reply or I can edit the current post.
String says:
On behalf of myself and the rest of the Petheads at http://www.thepetrazone.net , a big hearty THANK YOU!
Bev says:
what little I could say.
String says:
Oh, you gave more then you know!!
Bev says:
Have a good night at work..
Bev says:
talk to you soon,,,and if they have another concert coming in our area, I'll go again.
String says:
I'll be home around 10 p.m. or so. If you are on then, yell at me!!
String says:
I am kind of waiting until they hit Minneapolis/St. Paul again or in the area. KTIS hasn't put anything together this year yet. I'll have to put a bug in their ears.
String says:
Take care and God bless!!
Bev says:
God is good!
String says:
All the time!!
Bev says:
All the time
0 x

unoactu1895
Pethead
Pethead