A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

U2 what do you think?

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:28 pm

Their new album what you all think about it? I really like it. some opinions please
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Can any of you dismantle me an atomic bomb?

Post by seichu kaisho » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm

Dang, nobody's replied to this yet - and I thought there were plenty of U2 fans here?

No, I had not yet the chance to hear it, but I definitely plan to. Awesome title! Sure transcends the popular fad of boring one-word album titles.

I noticed the last song on the album is entitled as "Yahweh," the Hebrew name for God. Do they express the Christian faith in the lyrics?

Second burning question - are all four band members Christians?
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:14 pm

No, they are only fashionably using YAWEH. I remember playing them on christian radio back when Sunday was out. They were interviewed about Sunday and expressed their beliefs, and we stopped play it.

Bono is a form of liberal Catholic if I remember correctly. He then got into some spirituality movement. The others have really not said individually. The times that they were asked collectively, they did the typical response not to alienate any money, I mean people, saying that they think there is nothing wrong with being spiritual. That is not the same thing folks.

Their roots go back to playing bars. That's how they got their start, winning a talent show and getting a beer company endorsement.

The bible says, actually Jesus says in those red letters: "You are for me, or against me". Judge what is true, what is right in the light of scripture.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:32 pm

Bono is Irish; they're Catholic for the most part. I don't have as much trouble with that as with them not being up front about their faith for fear of interrupting their cash flow. The same sort of garbage goes on in the Christian music industry. I haven't had a chance to hear the new album yet, I do like some of their older stuff.

I'm sure you've seen what bands will do to keep the cash coming in so they won't be dropped by their record companies Brent. You're probably also aware that to survive a band has to make some sort of effort to cooperate with (or kiss the rear of, whichever you prefer) :D their record company. Recording contracts are legally binding. So where do you find the balancing point where you're not compromising your values for the almighty buck? There's all this pressure to succeed, and if you're not selling CDs or the record company decides you're not "popular enough" you're dumped. How do you make it in that kind of atmosphere? It isn't just the bands who are bitten by the money bug. That problem is all over the place in the music biz.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:16 am

brent wrote:No, they are only fashionably using YAWEH. I remember playing them on christian radio back when Sunday was out. They were interviewed about Sunday and expressed their beliefs, and we stopped play it.

Bono is a form of liberal Catholic if I remember correctly. He then got into some spirituality movement. The others have really not said individually. The times that they were asked collectively, they did the typical response not to alienate any money, I mean people, saying that they think there is nothing wrong with being spiritual. That is not the same thing folks.

Their roots go back to playing bars. That's how they got their start, winning a talent show and getting a beer company endorsement.

The bible says, actually Jesus says in those red letters: "You are for me, or against me". Judge what is true, what is right in the light of scripture.
Yeah, I've never considered U2 to be anything more than a secular band who plays on religion occasionally to make people wonder what their positions really are. I've always sensed a falseness to it. It's like they throw words and phrases out there just to entice Christians to think they might be something they're really not.

I can appreciate it when a song-writer is genuinely searching for answers (like Kerry Livgren during his time with Kansas, or Scott Stapp during his time with Creed, or the band Lifehouse). But I've never felt that kind of authenticity with U2.

Do I like U2 from a musical standpoint? Of course. They have a lot of songs I like. But I doubt that I buy their new CD. There are too many other legitimate Christian CDs I'd rather have and spend my money on.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:30 pm

LexingtonPethead wrote:
brent wrote:No, they are only fashionably using YAWEH. I remember playing them on christian radio back when Sunday was out. They were interviewed about Sunday and expressed their beliefs, and we stopped play it.

Yeah, I've never considered U2 to be anything more than a secular band who plays on religion occasionally to make people wonder what their positions really are. I've always sensed a falseness to it. It's like they throw words and phrases out there just to entice Christians to think they might be something they're really not.

I can appreciate it when a song-writer is genuinely searching for answers (like Kerry Livgren during his time with Kansas, or Scott Stapp during his time with Creed, or the band Lifehouse). But I've never felt that kind of authenticity with U2.

Do I like U2 from a musical standpoint? Of course. They have a lot of songs I like. But I doubt that I buy their new CD. There are too many other legitimate Christian CDs I'd rather have and spend my money on.
The members of Lifehouse actually are Christians. They aren't searching.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

describe please

Post by seichu kaisho » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:50 pm

What is liberal Catholicism?
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:55 pm

separateunion wrote:
LexingtonPethead wrote:

The members of Lifehouse actually are Christians. They aren't searching.
You're right, they are Christians. But at the same time, the lyrics I've read seem to be searching in some way... not sure how to explain it.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: describe please

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:58 pm

seichu kaisho wrote:What is liberal Catholicism?
I consider catholicism to be a liberal theology. Maybe what seichu kaisho meant was that U2 are not devout Catholics, not strict or go to church or confession.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: describe please

Post by separateunion » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:16 am

LexingtonPethead wrote:
seichu kaisho wrote:What is liberal Catholicism?
I consider catholicism to be a liberal theology. Maybe what seichu kaisho meant was that U2 are not devout Catholics, not strict or go to church or confession.
I don't know enough about Catholic theology to really talk about it (although it's something I'm starting to look into since I'm somewhat close to dating a Catholic girl), but I know several Catholics who are more conservative than most Christians I know.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

U2 what do you think?

Post by executioner » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:41 am

The new album is very strong music wise. I would rate it near Joshua Tree. It sounds alot like the Joshua Tree. I know a lot of Catholics that are devout Christians. There is a Catholic Church in our edition, and most of my neighbors go overthere for mass, and I take them as being Christians because I see their fruits and I see their walk with God. Some seem to be stronger Christians than the ones at my Baptist church.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:42 pm

This is going to ruffle a dew deathers, but...

If you are a true Catholic, believe all doctrines, practice all rituals, then there is no way that you can be a true Christian. I have family that is catholic. I have been to their classes. I have read books from converted priests and nuns. There is no way.

Thay do not believe in salvation without works/or self imparted righteousness. They do not believe in salvation alone, but salvation and the Catholic church. They do not believe in the perfectly preserved word of God. If you study what the rituals are, like sacrament, they believe that they are eating the literal body of Christ and drinking his blood. They bow to idols, bigtime commandment breaker. They have engraven images of things in heaven. They rely on a man for forgiveness of sin, when that was done in Christ on the cross. They prey to the dead which is a huge no-no. They have their own "scripture" which contadicts the bible in thousands of cases. It has been proven to be written by nuts. In fact, they knew that they weren't true, so in the Council of Trent in 1546, they said that they would curse (damn to hell) anyone not accepting the whole book as they assembled it, and their doctrine of Jesus + catholic church = salvation.

They're bible was based on works from wescott and horte, which were two black magic practicing freaks that did not believe in the ressurection of Christ, the reality of heaven (they believe that it was in your mind and that you could use drugs or alcohol to get in that fram of mind), they took their scripture from Origin, who was a Jesus Christ denying, Bale the sun god worshipping idiot commissioned by Constantine to write his bible for his version of christianity (which did not include Jesus Christ).
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:13 pm

No feathers ruffled here. Brent is right. I was going to make a similar post earlier but got busy.

Sep, I dated a Catholic in high school and at the time we started dating, I had no idea what Catholics believe. I was very serious about my faith back then, and that prompted me to study what Catholics believe. I can tell you and others here that Brent is right about what he says about the Catholic church and about what they believe.

Because of this, I knew that the differences in our faith would be a wedge between us and I eventually broke up with my Catholic girlfriend. It was very heartbreaking, so much so that we would have been better off just having been friends. It took me years to get over it completely.

Sep, I don't know the circumstances of what you're maybe getting yourself into - I mean, maybe God will use you to win your Catholic friend to Christ. I can tell you it won't be easy, and you could really get hurt. There is good reason Scripture tells us not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. Please tread carefully.
Last edited by LexingtonPethead on Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:35 pm

Don't feel bad. I was a preachers kid, raised in a sack. I dated a mormon chick. That was an eye opener! Then I dated and married a daughter of a staunch Catholic. My wife is a born-again, bible believing Christian. I almost dread family gatherings. It is beat Brent the Baptist time. It's worth it.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:52 pm

I think that's Jason or SU you're meaning your post to be for David...Exe is married. :)
0 x