Record Companies

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetfanInCt » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:06 am

Well I guess I have yet one more thing to say..But after this nothing else..

I'll just say I''m poor i'm on disability, and that shouldnt mean a decreased access to Gods music.

Godbless and Peace..
crossways wrote:PetraFaninCT,

I mean this in all sincereity; if you PM me your address and tell me a cd/dvd that you want, I'll send it.

However, that really isn't the point you have been making. It seems to me you expect a high quality musical product and that you expect that product to be delivered very cheaply and for free. The reality is if you want a free or cheap cd, then you'll have to grab my band's demo. It only has four tracks and was produced in just about 18 hours total. It cost us $900. Which isn't a lot by industry standards and you can tell.

Quality costs. Period.

I've mentioned the fact before that I'm disability and have a descreased access. Most likely you didnt see the post. That was the point i was trying to make. I realize we are going by a world system it stinks but thats the way it has become and the way it is..But my main point all along and I guess I havent conveyed it enough is that of what I mentioned in te begining of this post

Thank you for your post crossways

Godbless and Peace to everyone here..

Rich
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:52 am

Preacherman77,
I wanted to be clear about you comment. Did you mean CITAS be reissued by whoever owns the rights? or Did you mean whoever owns the rights should allow it to be copied and distributed by whoever has a copy of it?
My point would have been best represented by your second statement. The first one would be pointless for the record company. It's more so the idea that this item will never bring in profit again, Brent has made that very clear by demonstrating the reasons that no-one is ever going to re-release it and the only people who are making money off it are the resellers, who have no legal right to profit from it and yet are making a killing by selling it for many, many times it's original value.

I would never expect such reasonable behavior from secular companies, but if the Christian companies were really Christian and had any concern at all the ministry value of the product, I think that at this point they would do the right thing and let it go.

Now to address another objection you made. Some people really can't afford to buy CD's or go to concerts and not everyone owns a computer. Some people go the library or use a friends computer. The point is that although the minister is certainly worth his hire, biblically his hire is covered by fellow Christians who support his ministry and not by the poor among those he's trying to minister to. In the early church the early Christians were constantly being encouraged to remember the poor.

I just think that if you are in the entertainment business, then this is a non issue for you, but if you are really in it for ministry first, then although it's fine for you to charge for your product in order to meet your needs, you really ought to have a back up plan for those who need to be ministered to, but can't afford to pay for it.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

monster machine
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Record Companies

Post by monster machine » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:12 pm

PetfanInCt wrote:Well is it very clear to me from reading messages from Brent and others in the "business, puke" that the record companies could give 2 crappers about spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To them its all about what sells.
They have to make money. Why is this a bad thing? How else are they going to afford the tours, the salaries, the recording studio fees, the promotion, etc? They have to grab the "sound of the day" to make the music and message more appealing to the lost. Look at it this way - Bibles are not free. It costs an incredible amount of money for paper and printing costs, distribution, etc. to get a Bible out to the bookstores. And we have to pay for them. Should we start criticizing the Bible publishers for charging us for something that should be free in the first place?
PetfanInCt wrote:If they were for spreading the Gospel of Jesus and getting the word out they wouldnt care about what would sell or what wouldn't sell, because its supposed to be about Jesus period.
You're exactly right. It should be about Jesus. BUT - they have to care about what's going to sell. If it doesn't sell, then they have failed their goal at making something for people to buy to learn more about Jesus. What's the point is making something to give away when no one will want it? What have we gained from that?
PetfanInCt wrote:Its perfectly clear that its not about Jesus at all. Its about invoices and the bottom line. If it was about Jesus it wouldn't matter how much money they made on the deal. The important issue would be getting the Word out on Jesus not how many units get sold.
Again, if something doesn't sell, what have they gained? How many souls are they going to save through inferior products that no one will buy?

I have dealt with this matter in prayer so many times. I asked God to tell me how it was possible for a Christian to be monetarily rich, while I have to struggle. You know what He revealed to me? God can and does bless people financially, in the same way that he blesses me by keeping me from the temptation of alcohol. He does indeed work in mysterious ways.

PetfanInCt, if you are upset with the industry because you can't afford Christian entertainment, then perhaps your priorities are a little out of whack. If I can't afford the latest release from so and so, I rely on the radio, free MP3's that I can legally download, iTunes or used CD shops. Or I simply go without beause when you get down to it, it's just entertainment. I still have tons of other music to get me through as I am sure you have as well.

You say in a latter post:

"I'll just say I''m poor i'm on disability, and that shouldnt mean a decreased access to Gods music. "

I think what you meant to say is:

"I'll just say I''m poor i'm on disability, and that shouldnt mean a decreased access to the music I prefer. "

If you truly cared more about the message than the music, ANYTHING would be edifying to you, whether it be church hymns or Clay Crosse.

Lastly, remember that your favourite band is part of this money hungry greedy machine you despise. Do you think Petra cares about the bottom line? They do. They have to. It's the only way they will survive.

I'm sorry if I came accross sounding harsh, but picking on Brent or others that work in the "business, puke" is not fair. They have families to feed and it's irresponsible to question what is in their hearts just because you are in financial difficulty and they aren't.

Monster
0 x
If you get angry at your spouse while getting dressed in the morning, does that make you a cross dresser?

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Record Companies

Post by PetfanInCt » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:21 pm

[quote="monster machine" It costs an incredible amount of money for paper and printing costs, distribution, etc. to get a Bible out to the bookstores. And we have to pay for them. Should we start criticizing the Bible publishers for charging us for something that should be free in the first place?[/quote

Well I purchased a KJV Bible for a dollar at the dollar store..
You're exactly right. It should be about Jesus. BUT - they have to care about what's going to sell. If it doesn't sell, then they have failed their goal at making something for people to buy to learn more about Jesus. What's the point is making something to give away when no one will want it? What have we gained from that?
I dont know

[quote="monster machine]Again, if something doesn't sell, what have they gained? How many souls are they going to save through inferior products that no one will buy?[/quote]

PetfanInCt, if you are upset with the industry because you can't afford Christian entertainment, then perhaps your priorities are a little out of whack. If I can't afford the latest release from so and so, I rely on the radio, free MP3's that I can legally download, iTunes or used CD shops. Or I simply go without beause when you get down to it, it's just entertainment. I still have tons of other music to get me through as I am sure you have as well.

You say in a latter post:

"I'll just say I''m poor i'm on disability, and that shouldnt mean a decreased access to Gods music. "

I think what you meant to say is:
monster machine wrote:"I'll just say I''m poor i'm on disability, and that shouldnt mean a decreased access to the music I prefer. "
Too much hositility and sarcasm, tone it down. What I meant to say is what I typed.
monster wrote:If you truly cared more about the message than the music, ANYTHING would be edifying to you, whether it be church hymns or Clay Crosse.
Yes but I prefer Rock thanks.
monster machine wrote:Lastly, remember that your favourite band is part of this money hungry greedy machine you despise. Do you think Petra cares about the bottom line? They do. They have to. It's the only way they will survive.
Well I would hope Petra cares about first and foremost uplifting Jesus in they're music, from everything I've heard they do. The "bottom line" isnt how Petra survives. God is how they survive. If God didnt want them around anymore they wouldnt be around. God provides for them.
monster machine wrote:I'm sorry if I came accross sounding harsh, but picking on Brent or others that work in the "business, puke" is not fair. They have families to feed and it's irresponsible to question what is in their hearts just because you are in financial difficulty and they aren't.
Yeah it is. Guess I was doing that and didnt realize the heart thing. Its hard having financial difficulty..However everytime I think about it I realize how Rich I am in Jesus..How very blesed I am to have HIM in my life. I also realize that . If I pray and its in God's will for me to have a certain thing in this case a cd then he will make it happen. Hes in control of everything. Thank you for your post it made me think..and Remember some important things.

Godbless and Peace to you Monster

Rich
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

monster machine
Pethead
Pethead

Sorry...

Post by monster machine » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:43 pm

Sorry if I came off as sarcastic. Truly, none was meant and I am sorry if I came accross that way.

Have you ever bought used music online? There's an excellent website at www.crossingmusic.com. I have purchased many a used CD from them at really great prices. I've also downloaded TONS of music at iTunes for only 99 cents a song. Not sure what they might have Petra-wise, but there's quite a bit of Christian stuff there.

If I may ask, what disability do you have? There's always room for prayer for another brother.

Monster
0 x
If you get angry at your spouse while getting dressed in the morning, does that make you a cross dresser?