A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
axelegend
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2001

Whitecross

Post by axelegend » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:11 pm

Just got the "new" Whitecross CD Nineteen Eighty Seven in the mail today - it ROCKS! It's a newly re-recorded version of their 1987 self-titled debut, which has been long out of print and hard to find. Recorded on a low budget, the band was never happy with the sound quality of the original release, so it was completely re-recorded this year after the band members reunited. There's also some new material on the new CD that totally smokes. One thing is for certain - I am already looking forward to the next Whitecross CD of all-new material.

It's a shame that Petra is retiring, especially when bands like Stryper, Whitecross, and several others have reunited.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:40 pm

And we're all excited about those reunions!
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead

Post by axelegend » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:26 am

Jonathan wrote:And we're all excited about those reunions!
Yep... and perhaps (if we persistently cry out very loudly and convincingly) someday we can convince Petra to reunite for some one-off concert appearances :wink:

Perhaps it's just "wishful thinking" on my behalf, but as Jesus stated in Matthew 19:26, "...but with God all things are possible" - so we can never say "never" :D

At the very least, I'll be looking forward to jammin' with the guys from Petra someday when we're all in heaven. 8)
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

WR1U
Pethead
Pethead

Post by WR1U » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:07 pm

Amen
0 x
Down the corridor or life in between our death and birth
We may start to lose our way in the search to find our worth
Our value comes in the fact we live
Life is a gift only God can give

theartist
Pethead
Pethead

Post by theartist » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:27 am

I went to The Stryper Reunion Show a couple of years ago but I really waiting for Whiteheart to do one...
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:22 pm

Did you get the Nineteen88 CD, "The Great American Rock and Roll Spectacle?" It would go well right after "Nineteen Eighty Seven."
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:29 pm

It's great that Rex Carroll is back. Man, what a guitar player! Whitecross without Rex is like Petra without Bob.
0 x

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Thank God For Rock 'n Roll!!!

Post by Susannah » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:44 pm

Okay, I know this topic's a little old, but I have to say that after all these years of listening to Christian rock and being a serious metalhead, I just "discovered" Whitecross. For some reason, I always thought I didn't like them...probably because the only songs of theirs I had heard were ballads. Anyways, I was just browsing on iTunes yesterday, and for the heck of it, listened to some Whitecross clips. I got really excited, cuz I just loved what I heard. So I bought several of their songs, and I discovered that I have been seriously deprived all these years! Whitecross is a great band! I love their bold, in-your-face lyrics, and I love Scott's raspy, rock 'n roll voice. And Rex Carroll, what a fabulous player! Now I know what all the fuss was all about! Whitecross instantly shot up to the top of my favorites list, right up there with Petra, Stryper and Guardian. I can't wait to start getting all their albums.

Another reason for me to love Whitecross is that Stryper's bass player, Tracy Ferrie was part of Whitecross for awhile. I got to know Tracy on the Reborn tour, and he is such a sweetheart with a real heart for ministry. And he's a great bass player and performer, to boot. It'll be cool to get the albums he played on, "Unveiled" and "Equilibrium" (even though Rex didn't play on those).

Anyways, what do all you diehards recommend I get for my first album?
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:46 pm

It's great that Rex Carroll is back. Man, what a guitar player! Whitecross without Rex is like Petra without Bob.
I can see how Whitecross would sound totally different without Rex. He has a very distinctive sound. His playing is so fluid. It actually reminds of a cross between Bob and Tony Palacios. Very cool indeed! 8)
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:09 am

susannah,
buy In The Kingdom. that's pure Whitecross at their best.
be careful when you listen to the first 2 songs. they will blow you away.
0 x
i wanna live until i die.

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 am

and yeah, WhiteHeart is very missed too. for me, Petra, WhiteHeart and Whitecross are the 3 greatest christian rock bands.
love Guardian too.
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:50 am

http://www.whiteheart.com/saltbox/whsbt.html

almost at the end of the page there's a pic of Petra and Whiteheart together.
0 x

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead

Post by axelegend » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:41 am

Susannah wrote:Anyways, what do all you diehards recommend I get for my first album?
First, I would recommend purchasing a copy of Nineteen Eighty Seven (available through www.girdermusic.com)- it was just released late last year, and is their "reunion" record - featuring both Rex Carroll and Scott Wenzel along with longtime drummer Mike Feighan. Because Rex and Scott never were very happy with the sound quality of their self-titled debut release from 1987, they reunited and completely re-recorded it last year, with some added bonus tracks. It is a stellar release with a lot of extra guitar pyrotechnics that were absent on the original Whitecross record.

The next "best" Whitecross album in my opinion would be Hammer & Nail. Most fans tend to enjoy this one the most as well. Tracks such as "Take It To The Limit," "When The Clock Strikes," "Top of the World," and the awesome instrumental "The Hammer & The Nail" are among Whitecross' best songs.
petrafan wrote:susannah,
In The Kingdom is a decent record, although there are several "filler" songs that I always skip over when listening to it. Rex has said that he was beginning to face increasing pressure from the record company (Star Song) to release a more "commercial" sounding album - and so In The Kingdom was one of the first Whitecross releases to feature more ballads and styles of songs that he would have rather chosen not to do with Whitecross. For example, "The Holy War" is an amazing track, except for the rap vocals during the verses - it just does not sound like Whitecross. However, tracks such as "No Second Chances," "We Know What's Right" (which happen to be the first two tracks, which WILL blow you away as petrafan suggested), and "Love Is Our Weapon" are among the best tracks on the record, and easily stand alongside Whitecross' best recordings.
Susannah wrote:Another reason for me to love Whitecross is that Stryper's bass player, Tracy Ferrie was part of Whitecross for awhile. I got to know Tracy on the Reborn tour, and he is such a sweetheart with a real heart for ministry. And he's a great bass player and performer, to boot. It'll be cool to get the albums he played on, "Unveiled" and "Equilibrium" (even though Rex didn't play on those).
Unveiled is my favorite Whitecross album without Rex. It was a different-sounding Whitecross record, with more of a blues-based guitar tone and style. Although Rex is definitely missed, the guitar work on the album is excellent, albeit very different from previous Whitecross releases. Tracy had a chance to showcase his talents in various spots on the album, and his presence was definitely noticed. Some of my favorite tracks include "Groove/King Of Angels," "Come Unto The Light," and "Salt City."
Last edited by axelegend on Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

PetFCtr
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetFCtr » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:09 pm

petrafan wrote:and yeah, WhiteHeart is very missed too. for me, Petra, WhiteHeart and Whitecross are the 3 greatest christian rock bands.
love Guardian too.
What albums of Whiteheart are ROCK!, the only ones I've heard are ballads. I know they have Rockier tunes. My favorites are Petra and Whitecross.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:01 am

petrafan wrote:susannah,
I feel In The Kingdom is a joke! Like you said the first 2 songs are awesome but after that it was a huge commercial IMO. Nothing after the first 2 songs was true WC. Listen to the first 3 albums they are what Scott & Rex wanted WC to become and to be. Rex has been quoted in an interview in HM that they did In The Kingdom soley for record execs and even though it brought them success it was a huge mistake ministry wise. Their goal was to reach what he called the metalheads and they lost them on that album. Actually he said in the long run In The Kingdom and High Gear hurt the WC ministry and led to the break up bewteen Scott & Rex. You could actually hear distain in his words when talking about those 2 albums.
0 x