What would be your perfect Christian concert?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
ST. AUGUSTINE
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ST. AUGUSTINE » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

executioner wrote:
ST. AUGUSTINE wrote:Forget who is the better drummer, or all the things that went wrong in the past. I would pick Louie for the pure nostalgia of it. He was petra's drummer for over twenty years. Aside from Bob he was the longest standing member. Paul is an amazing drummer, but he is simply not the permanent staple on the face of petra's history that Louie is, and further more, I think the worst thing that ever happened in Petra's long history is when Louie got fired. I will never fully forgive John and his manager for doing that. Not that I don't love John and all his inumerable contributions to Petra, but I think it was wrong. The greatest reunion line up would be, of course:Bob, John, Johnny, Ronny and Louie. I would pay a great price and travel many many miles to see that.
Man you seem to hold something against John and you don't even know the full story behind the situation. Also you have to remember that Bob gave John his full blessing in this.
Dude, nobody knows the full story. They've never come clean about what really happened. I love John Schlitt. I don't want to come acrossed like I don't. Without John, Petra most likely would've foundered after Greg left. But he came along and birthed a whole new era (they're greatest era in my opinion) However, I don't believe that John ran things too well after Bob left. I personally think he should've left Louie in charge. Louie had seniority and maybe he would've done a better job. John is an amazing singer and front man, but I don't think he was a very good band leader and I think that's quite apparent when you look at what happened to them after Bob left.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:17 pm

ST. AUGUSTINE wrote:
executioner wrote:
ST. AUGUSTINE wrote:Forget who is the better drummer, or all the things that went wrong in the past. I would pick Louie for the pure nostalgia of it. He was petra's drummer for over twenty years. Aside from Bob he was the longest standing member. Paul is an amazing drummer, but he is simply not the permanent staple on the face of petra's history that Louie is, and further more, I think the worst thing that ever happened in Petra's long history is when Louie got fired. I will never fully forgive John and his manager for doing that. Not that I don't love John and all his inumerable contributions to Petra, but I think it was wrong. The greatest reunion line up would be, of course:Bob, John, Johnny, Ronny and Louie. I would pay a great price and travel many many miles to see that.
Man you seem to hold something against John and you don't even know the full story behind the situation. Also you have to remember that Bob gave John his full blessing in this.
Dude, nobody knows the full story. They've never come clean about what really happened. I love John Schlitt. I don't want to come acrossed like I don't. Without John, Petra most likely would've foundered after Greg left. But he came along and birthed a whole new era (they're greatest era in my opinion) However, I don't believe that John ran things too well after Bob left. I personally think he should've left Louie in charge. Louie had seniority and maybe he would've done a better job. John is an amazing singer and front man, but I don't think he was a very good band leader and I think that's quite apparent when you look at what happened to them after Bob left.
There were alot of things that had to do with the demise of Petra, but none of them had to do with John. Peta held on longer then most of their counterparts from the 80's and probably held on too long in my opinion. Bob giving his blessing on the firing says all it needs to be said. I mean there had to be major issues here in order for Bob to say yeah I give my blessing on this. It wasn't like this was a hired gun or anything that had only been in the band for a tour or so; This was a senior member of the band. I respect John and Bob's decision on this and I basically agree with them.
Some and most artists are very particular about their instruments and stage setups and such, and Louie over the years would show his displeasure when something wasn't right with his drums and cymbols.
0 x

ST. AUGUSTINE
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ST. AUGUSTINE » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:46 pm

executioner wrote:
ST. AUGUSTINE wrote:
executioner wrote:
There were alot of things that had to do with the demise of Petra, but none of them had to do with John. Peta held on longer then most of their counterparts from the 80's and probably held on too long in my opinion. Bob giving his blessing on the firing says all it needs to be said. I mean there had to be major issues here in order for Bob to say yeah I give my blessing on this. It wasn't like this was a hired gun or anything that had only been in the band for a tour or so; This was a senior member of the band. I respect John and Bob's decision on this and I basically agree with them.
Some and most artists are very particular about their instruments and stage setups and such, and Louie over the years would show his displeasure when something wasn't right with his drums and cymbols.
Well, one thing we can agree on. They held on WAAYYY too long. I certainly could've done without all the albums between No Doubt and Jekyl and Hyde. It's all in the past, doesn't really matter now. Really the reason I have bitterness about them firing Louie is because I didn't go to the farewell tour that came to my own town just because Louie wasn't with them. Biggest mistake I've ever made. Basically in my teens I went through a phase where Petra wasn't cool cause all the new bands like Audio A and Dc talk came in and stole the scene. This phase spanned from 1996 to 2005. it wasn't 'til I started relflecting on my childhood and listening to all the old albums that I realized how much I loved Petra and that they really were the greatest band of all time. By then it was too late. My brother asked me if I was going to the Farewell tour (that was at the end of my "too cool" phase) and I told him "yeah right, like I want to go watch a couple geezers with two young dudes I don't even know. if Louie was with them I would go". Boy do I reget it. the last time I saw Petra live was on the Saltbox tour. Then the only hope I had of seeing them again was when they were going to reunite for the Legends fest and then it got canceled. I will forever kick myself for not going to that farewell tour.
0 x

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Man, we totally went off subject. To the comment about what I said about Louie. No, I'm not kicking him because he's taking care of his family. Dude, I'm Viktor's BOOKING AGENT! I love Louie. But you have to state the truth. I was talking with Jimi Bennett, lead singer, and we discussed how blurry it looked for Louie to ever get back on the drum set because he's dug himself in so much into driving buses.
0 x
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/emjpro/EMJProductions.jpg[/img]

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 pm

You've gotta do what you've gotta do, though. The music world is a tough business, especially if you limit yourself to only the Christian market. Sometimes change dictates a new career move.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Back on track.

Now, are we talking about seeing the ultimate show with bands in their prime, or now gimping along? Cause I can not take the pain of watching people do it when they just don't have the magic, and I am not in the same place/mindset when their music spoken to me.

If we are talking about bands in their prime, for one weekend only, I would take:

Joe English Band
Sweet Comfort Band
Dallas Holm (to slow things down during the stage reset)
Servant
DeGarmo & Key
Petra (Greg Volz Version)
Phil Keaggy (acoustic set during stage reset)
Petra (Schlitt Version)
White Cross
Stryper
0 x

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:00 pm

We are talking about bands that ARE still touring. Not RETIRED(no offense fellow Petra fans.) You can list John and Greg as solo artists though.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:24 pm

All the bands I listed are retired.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:02 pm

That's okay. They were good groups. Got any up-to-date ones?
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Most Christian music today blows. There, I said it. The only good Christian music has gone mainstream or is on Tooth and Nail. I wouldn't mind seeing Project 86, Underoath, and Demon Hunter.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:07 am

Christian music is ridiculed in the secular industry by those saved and lost because it is so simplistic. I agree. Some of the christian music today is over the top bad. Some of it is great. How is that for PC?

I think that there are a couple of variables. All of the next iPod generation are dumbed down musically. Music is not listened to and concentrated on as it was. It is background noise for many people. Then, you have to through in the Christian aspect, the lyrics. There are various states of mind and growth, doctrinal beliefs and convictions, that it is quite hard to write something that everyone will buy into. Then there is the style aspect which ois no different than the world's. Old people are mellow, young RAWK. Some of us hold on to our youth.

I don't know. It is a formula that makes me sick for the most part. But, the formula that my fav bands used made my parent's sick. There is a difference though. I would put any of the musicians of my favs up against any of the young bands today, and there would a drastic difference in musical depth, technique, etc.

I have a rule. I NEVER listen to ANY band with numbers in the name. That is retarded!
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:20 am

brent wrote:I have a rule. I NEVER listen to ANY band with numbers in the name. That is retarded!
Not even the 77's? ;)
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:41 am

I would love to see Fair (w/ Aaron Sprinkle) and Kevin Max. And a full set from Delirious with lots from their new album Kingdom Of Comfort. Wouldn't mind Jars of Clay either. And since there's a new album by Keith Green, can I add him to the list?
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:34 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing the 116 clique. That's about the only Christian music I find worth listening to these days, the rest of it is such crap. Every time I hear those guys I wonder why the heck aren't the rest of them taking notes? This is what Christian music should be. Preaching and doctrine. Good.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 pm

For the most part I agree on the number thing. But I would pay several month's salary to see the 77s in the mid to late 90s, Building 429...maybe...KJ52 I could be convinced to check out...

Modern Christian radio music is boring. I'd rather inject feces directly into my eardrums than spend an hour listening to Way-FM.

I don't know that I particularly want or need doctrine from the music I listen to. I like it, I spose. It's a nice bonus.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."