Live vs Studio

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Live vs Studio

Post by JMBJR72 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Sometimes I hear a live album it sounds much btter than a studio album. I am assume the it is more expensive to do a Live album. I am I correct?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 pm

Define better. What sounds better to you?

No, it does not cost more to make a live record. Traditionally, live records do not sell as well. That is why they aren't often made. Live videos are more popular. When we talk video, THEN you are rackin' up some $$$. Then it could surpass a modest recording budget.

Sonically, tonally, I prefer studio myself. But live is where the real truth comes out. If they can't sing or play, the cat is out of the bag. Overdubbed and backing performance tracks are pretty obvious to me.

Some of my fav bands are actually better live bands than studio cats. They live for the stage. They need the synergy of each other, the people in the house and the electricity in the air. Dream Theater comes to mind. They are super stinkin' tight. Their albums haven't had a good sound since they started going digital. They always sound killer live. Their engineer is always on the top of his game.

I like players with skill. I am most impressed at live performances. Anything can be manufactured in the studio. Sometimes it needs to be. But live is where the magic is, if there is any.

Edit:

I just thought of something. I AGREE that live albums would sound better in one area. They cannot be hyper compressed in mastering like studio albums can be. Doing so just elevates the ambient noise, microphone bleed, etc. It is not pretty.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 pm

I am one of the few out there that love live concert CD/DVD's. I love hearing the grind of the guitar and the drums on a live recording overall then a studio mix. I don't care about a bands imprefections on the recordings I want to hear them. I do need for the production to be high quality though. I will buy just about any offical live recording from any artist I listen too; The last one I bought was the Comatose Comes Alive Tour(Skillet). It is very well made and comes in a CD/DVD combo and you can get it at your friendly Walmart for only $11.97
0 x

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:38 am

In live cds they are much more clear. Plus you hear the individual band members like at a concert plus you can from one song to another
0 x