How would ya rate the 5 stryped rockerz?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

How would ya rate the 5 stryped rockerz?

Post by seichu kaisho » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:04 pm

For acquaintances of all 5 stryper albums:

Most favorite ta' least favorite

These are mine:

1. In God We Trust
2. To Hell With the Devil
3. Soldiers Under Command
4. The Yellow and Black Attack
5. Against the Law
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:26 pm

All good albums. I would probably put "Yellow And Black Attack" first because it's the first Styper album I ever heard, and then "To Hell With The Devil" next.
0 x

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by reoracer » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:58 pm

I love Stryper, and have all of their albums. On vinyl, even... (Including the lovely artwork for "To Hell With The Devil")

I find myself listening mostly to two of them. Nothing compares to "To Hell WIth The Devil" (which I also have on CD), and I also listen to "In God We Trust" alot. The others just kinda gather dust in my record box...

Jen
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

http://www.facebook.com/reoracer

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Contra de la Ley, y En Dios Confiamos

Post by seichu kaisho » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:00 pm

To reoracer about vinyl albums - were record players still popular as recently as the 80's? It kind of surprises me that you say all the Stryper albums were also sold on vinyl - and quite a few people on this board say they have vinyl copies of Petra's albums as late as On Fire or so.
- - - -

What do you think about Against the Law compared to the other Stryper albums?
To me, it seems Stryper definitely went a different direction musically on Against the Law - it's more like metal, funk, and grunge put together with a little bit of blues. It kinda sounds the same all the way through. Only some songs really stand out. (Two Bodies, Not That Kind of Guy, Shining Star, Caught in the Middle) It's not bad, but to me not as excitable as the other Stryper albums. I can listen to the '86 and '88 albums repetitively without getting sick of 'em.

But then, they end their career in '91 with those two songs on their compilation album - "Believe" and "Can't Stop the Rock," which both are awesome. "Believe" is a beautiful moderate-rocker way different from other Stryper songs, and it shows the patriotism of the band. "Can't Stop the Rock" - swing rhythm, power packed. You can tell that Michael Sweet's voice was becoming hoarse by that time - from all those years of screaming high notes.
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by reoracer » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:03 pm

About records: I worked at a radio station in college and was able to still get many things I wanted on vinyl LP up until I graduated in 1993...This Means War is the most recent Petra album I have on vinyl...

As for Stryper, they reunited for a while last year and did a tour, and even recorded a live CD. I didn't get to go to any of the shows, but the live CD is pretty good... And I didn't like Against The Law too much. I wasn't a Christian until 1997, so I just liked the music on the other albums because I was a metalhead, and they rocked good!

Jen
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

http://www.facebook.com/reoracer

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

"come wit' me to-nite to da' everlife, yo"

Post by seichu kaisho » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:11 pm

:?:
That's odd, for how long were you a fan of Christian rock music before you actually became a Christian?
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:35 pm

Yeah, I'm curious about that too; I think stories about how people became Christians are cool. :)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:41 pm

Christian rock was not immediately available on CD, because it was/is a niche market. Most Christian stations were mom and pops anyway, and CD players (1st generation) for broadcast were about $2k, and you needed two.

I was working Christian radio at the time. My idiot owner said that CD's were a fad. That explained why we were still using government surplus turntables from 1950 in 1986.

Records were great. There was art, room for legible lyrics, and bonus inserts.
0 x

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

avoid exposure to direct fingernail

Post by seichu kaisho » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:39 pm

What year were compact discs invented?
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetfanInCt » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:06 am

Cool topic. The first Christian song I ever heard was "To Hell With The Devil". When I first heard it I wasnt saved and I couldnt believe my ears. I asked my then gf who is know my wife, who is this. She said Stryper. She said they're a Christian band. I said Christian really she said yeah. She got the cd for Honestly. Up to that point, well you know I thought Christian music was all organ hymn music. I was like this is very very cool. I had a big grin on my face.

I look back on it and I know God knew I was destined to be a Rocker in his name :) From there I discovered Petra, then Whitecross. I knew I was set and from there found out more about Jesus then made the ultimate jesture and got saved.

Rock on for Christ

In Christ
Rich
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Rockin' the world

Post by Susannah » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:03 am

I just LOVE Stryper! Of course, I'm biased, cuz Oz was my guitar teacher. Then again, I probably wouldn't have taken lessons from him if I didn't already like Stryper. My older brother listened to Stryper when I was really little. It was the first rock music I ever really heard, and I loved it! So when I was about 7 or 8, I became a closet Stryper fan. I thought my mom would freak if she knew her little girl liked these crazy rockers with long hair and makeup. I mean, it was okay for my brother to like them, but I was supposed to like Wee-Sing, and stuff like that. LOL Anyways, I used to sneak and watch "Real Videos" on TBN, hoping to catch Stryper on there. Oz was always my favorite, I think mainly because I had never seen a man with such big hair before! But as I got older, I really came to appreciate his guitar playing. And a few years ago, when he was offering guitar lessons near where I live, I jumped at the chance, and made a really nice friend. :)

Anyways, I'd have to say that "To Hell With the Devil" is my favorite album. On second thought, it's tied with their new live album (it's AWESOME!). For second fave, "In God We Trust" and "Against the Law" are tied, followed by "Soldiers Under Command", and "The Yellow and Black Attack".

By the way, has anyone heard the remake Guardian did of "The Yellow and Black Attack" album? (Brian Berry, are you out there??? I still have your cd!) It's really cool.

Also, Stryper is coming out with a brand-new cd next year! Yay! I can't wait!
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

SamScales
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by SamScales » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:10 am

Susannah,

I loved Stryper too!! My fave album was "To Hell with the Devil". I loved seeing them in concert, they had one 'energetic'show! Got to meet them once too, very nice guys.

I'm just amazed how you ended up having all these friends.......it's cool!
God has truly blessed me with a few great friendships too and had answered some burning prayers!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

to

Post by executioner » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:01 am

To Hell was my fav of the bunch, but I also really liked Against The Law alot. The vibe on that album was great. I think their weakest album was probably In God We Trust. Way to polished for me.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

"come on everybody, put your hands up in the air"

Post by seichu kaisho » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:07 pm

"Lonely" is the one song on In God We Trust that does not fit with the rest. All the other 9 songs are whoa-yeah!

Of all of Stryper's sappy power ballads: "Together as One" and "Honestly" are my favorites.
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

St. Augustine's Pears
Pethead
Pethead

Post by St. Augustine's Pears » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:45 am

My favorite Stryper album was "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Some people (hello, Executioner!) say this album was too polished, not as heavy as "TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL". In some aspects, that is true...but it other aspects it is superior to "TO HELL...".

I've always been a sucker for clean guitars and high harmonies in the music I listen to, and Stryper certainly had an abundance of both on this album. My favorite tracks are "It's Up 2 U"..."Always There For You"..."In God We Trust"...and "The World of You and I".

Oh, and if anyone thinks this album is "less heavy" than "TO HELL...", then go and re-listen to "The Writing's On The Wall". This song absolutely crushes! The way Michael Sweet repeatedly screams "The writing's on the walllllll..." on the fade-out will sends chills down your spine (in a good way, of course!).
0 x
"And I don't even like pears that well...no, I don't even like 'em at all!" --- from "St. Augustine's Pears"