Divorce

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:05 pm

People, people, people... everyone here is saying that Amy has not repented. HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT??? How can you judge her?

Are you somehow advocating that if she repents, her marriage to Vince is null and void (because she's not really married to Vince, she's just living in sin)... and that if she repents the only right thing to do is to end her relationship with Vince? Come on... what is this!!

Now, I agree that she did not have grounds for divorcing Gary. God can forgive her for that. But I do not agree that her repenting should be evidenced by another broken marriage.

And I also want to point out that as much as we think we might know about what really happened, we don't. Only the 4 who were directly involved know for sure what really happened and why.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:11 pm

I do agree with the statement that U2 is definitely NOT a Christian band. Just because a band dabbles with spiritual nuances in their music that parallel Christianity in some ways does not make them Christians.

They're just another bunch of liberals.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:23 pm

Folks, there may be a few rare exceptions, but both parties usually contribute in some way to the problems that cause a marriage to break up. And no matter who happens to be the one to file for divorce, there have been too many broken marriages.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Oh my gosh.

Post by Shell » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:36 pm

I just realized...This is my 266th post, and I think the only person who's made more posts than I have is Michael (and maybe Elo) :D LOL. I don't know if I should be glad or embarrassed about that. Am I chatty or what? LOL.
0 x

SamScales
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by SamScales » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:29 am

Hey Shell,

Hehehe, that's cool that you got that many posts. I remember using the name ICHTHUS for a while and I had gathered quite a good number on posts with that name before I switched names. It's easy to do when you are having fun on this message board. You keep posting away. :)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

AG

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:54 am

Lexington,

Amy has been quoted as saying that she feels she did nothing wrong, and that she found her soulmate in Vince. If she found her soulmate while she was still married(which she did) than that is adultrey. She doesn't have to repent publicly, but if she is saying that in interviews than where do you think her heart is.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: What's been plaguing my thoughts about this is...

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:39 am

petra4ever wrote:Amy said that Vince Gill was her "soulmate" -- she said this in an interview (or a visit) with her, Vince and kids. What if Gary was not her soulmate and Vince was? I know divorce is a sin, and I was shocked and saddened when Gary and her divorced, but what insight could be offered into this (ie. "soulmate") subject.
That "soulmate" line is just a bunch of hogwash she's trying to use to excuse her adulterous lifestyle. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that there is only one person for us and that all other relationships are doomed to failure. Marriage is not about luck of the draw, it's about commitment. That's why I get so upset when people downplay mine and my wife's marriage (10 incredible years!) by saying that we're "soulmates" or that we were "meant for each other." I usually tell them that it's not fate but a concerted effort on both our parts to make this thing work and to make it work well!

Basically, Amy Grant made a commitment before God to Gary Chapman but desired to break the commitment when she began lusting for another man (Was he better looking? More successful? Who knows her reasons.) She then tried to make God party to her sin by claiming that Vince Gill was her "soulmate" and that God had "released" her from her marriage to Chapman. And that's fine and all. It's her decision, but then she actively promotes her lifestyle while still claiming to be Christian, and I'm sure you see the problem there.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

yeah

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:57 am

Yes, That is the problem I have with this.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:17 pm

Mountian Man,

I totally agree with what you have to say. I guess, for me, adultery has always implied an extra-marrital affair, and I hate when people say that Amy and Vince WERE HAVING an affair while both were still married. There is no evidence for this, and these rumors are just a character assassination attempt. I don't agree with divorce either. I guess it's just all how you define adultery, and to me, it has always implied an ongoing affair.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

BillDD
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BillDD » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:13 pm

I do agree with the statement that U2 is definitely NOT a Christian band. Just because a band dabbles with spiritual nuances in their music that parallel Christianity in some ways does not make them Christians.

They're just another bunch of liberals.

All you have to do is actually listen to U2's music and you can hear God. Is the song 40 just a spiritual nuance?

U2 is on the list for trying to change the world, and actually making a differnce in the world, Petra is in there for firing a brother in Christ. Do you think John will get nominated for the nobel peace prize for that?
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:21 pm

I'm just wondering how anyone who calls U2 a Christian band rationalizes Bono's frequent use of the "F" word. It's very clear to me that they are not a Christian band. Christians in a band (i.e. Lifehouse, P.O.D., 12 Stones)? Possibly. I know that 3 of the members supposedly come from Christian backgrounds, but whether or not they are still Christians, I have no idea.

I'll tell you one thing: when I see the pridefulness that Bono displays on stage, I definitely don't see any Christian spirit there. Reminds me too much of the way DC Talk acts on stage.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

He.

Post by Shell » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:01 pm

Bono's being Irish might have something to do with him having a trash mouth. :wink:

Funny how this topic has drifted from CMCentral's top 10 to Amy to divorce and now to U2. :)
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:14 pm

BillDD, I said it before... maybe you didn't read it, I don't know, but just because someone writes a song about a religious experience doesn't make them a religious person, just like putting a wheel barrow in a garage doesn't make it a car. If you really think Bono and company are followers of Christ, then I would encourage you to get a grip on what it means to be born again.

Not only does Bono habitually swear, but his political and world viewpoints are clearly liberal. U2 isn't trying to change the world. They're another group of liberal loudmouths who don't know when to shut up and play music.

And by the way, anytime you want to measure the difference that Petra is making in the world vs. U2, you will be in for a big awakening, my friend.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: ...

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:03 pm

BillDD wrote:All you have to do is actually listen to U2's music and you can hear God.
And Axl Rose from Guns n' Roses used to thank Jesus Christ in the liner notes. What's your point?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:06 pm

separateunion wrote:Mountian Man,

I guess, for me, adultery has always implied an extra-marrital affair, and I hate when people say that Amy and Vince WERE HAVING an affair while both were still married.
I never said that they had an affair. I was using adultry in the Biblical sense, meaning they are having a relationship with someone other than their (original) spouse.
0 x