A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Oz Fox and the Highway to Hell

Post by trodLAN » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:15 pm

I am wondering why Oz Fox from Stryper have joined this "Playground" band, and are touring with the AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell..."
http://www.myspace.com/music/10415954/songs/76175853
I am also wondering why Stryper is recording those cover songs from other non-christian bands...
I thought Stryper had more important things to do?
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Oz Fox and the Highway to Hell

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Some people feel that music is music no matter how you look at it. I tried playing secular music before; I didn’t feel comfortable with it. When I play music, it has to be for God only.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:31 am

I have always believed that Stryper was more than just a band. They had a message too that was important. When they and the band members are doing stuff like this, I think they contradict themselves.
I have respect for the bands they are "covering" on the new album, but I have not much respect for Stryper any longer.
Styper is an awesome band that should do their own material instead of cover other bands music.
But if they want to cover songs, they should pick songs that doesn't have so embarrassing lyrics.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:57 am

I can't wait for the new album. If it's a band I like then I usually appreciate the covers. As for the source of the music, it doesn't bother me in a general sense- it has to specifically offend me. There are plenty of Christian artist and music that offend me more than some secular music.
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:10 am

"Music can't be Christian and bands can't be Christian, only people can be Christians." Frank Hart, Atomic Opera
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:43 am

Stryper are a Christian band? what label were they on?
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 am

I guess it depends on the lyrics of the songs they're covering (I don't care enough to go look it up). There are plenty of songs with positive and/ore religious messages by secular artists that can be covered by Christian bands without contradiction (for example, two Christian bands, Rachel Rachel and The Showdown, have covered "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas). Or, you know, Petra covering an Argent song, or Petra covering "Heaven's on Fire" by Kiss (that's a joke).

But then there's the question about whether you're endorsing the original band's lifestyle or content of the band's larger body of work. which is stickier. The anti-CCM loons certainly love to play guilt by association: "You covered THIS band, and THIS band sang THAT, so clearly you believe THAT." Not that bands should make their decisions based on those people, but it is problematic if a 13-year-old kid listens to a Christian band, hears a song they like that they find out is written by a band with a whole bunch of problematic songs, and then starts listening to that band. I dunno. Most 13-year-olds are probably already listening to that other band anyway.

I suspect bands like Stryper don't put a huge amount of thought into issues like this. Maybe they should.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 pm

I have trouble with this as well. I know many disagree and I've heard the old "Christian plumber" line many, many times. IMHO it doesn't hold water. The thing for me is that this really isn't just music - unless these are instrumental bands, they are delivering a message through the music. The music is a medium, even though it may in practice be the only thing the consumers are buying into, there is a message going along with it, which is dictated by the songwriters. It's not like a plumber (carpenter, truck-driver) is delivering a direct message through his work. Music is a unique industry in that you aren't just providing a service or a product - you're giving people a message; in theory something you believe in or feel passionate about (of course, this is often not the case). And while Stryper probably doesn't mean to "endorse" the message of these songs or the bands that produced them, the fact is they are indirectly helping to propagate the message those bands bring and/or brought. And that concerns me.
Music can't be Christian and bands can't be Christian, only people can be Christians.

Technically true - but in practice, it's not that simple. In fact, it smacks of bifurcation. If by "music" you mean notes, beats, intervals, instruments, etc, sure, there's no such thing as "Christian music". "Band" is a bit stickier because come on, a band *is* people. But as far as music goes, a verbal message can be Christian or not Christian. It can even be anti Christian - either directly or by simply promoting ideas and ideals that are contrary to Christianity. And if the amoral medium of music is being wedded to a message, then it is certainly a moral issue that needs to be weighed. After all, I can argue that "Language can't be Christian and books can't be Christian, only people can" - maybe technically true, but essentially ridiculous. The language and the book are a medium, and once wedded to a message (that can be Christian or otherwise), it becomes a moral question for the Christian, even if you where to concede that the book or the music isn't technically "Christian".
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 pm

This is where I defer from a lot of other people.

I’ve heard artists say that they just want to be a Christian in a band instead of being in a Christian band. I’ve heard them say they just want to sing about life, not about Christ in general. Of course it’s up to them to do what ever they want to do, it’s not up to me to choose for them.

The problem is people love to chip away at the available tools God gives us to use for his purpose and use to win souls for His kingdom. People easily forget that Lucifer was the angel of music before he turned against God and was cast down to earth, so Lucifer having the musical influence and being the father of lies, somehow the Church forgets all about that when they say “oh it’s alright to listen to or sing secular music” go ahead and pop Black Sabbath or AC/DC in your CD player, God don’t mind……..hmmm sounds like another lie from Satan to me, let’s see Surely God won’t punish you if you eat that fruit, He knows it will make you as he is…..hmm sounds like it comes from the same place to me.

I won’t even listen to bands like The Beatles, Beach Boys or U2 anymore; I had real spiritual problems when I was in to them. Remember just because they slap an “oldies” or “Love Songs” label on it doesn’t mean it’s any less wrong to listen to it. Beatles were influenced by other spiritual sources than God; they are very open about how they believe and their Drug use as well as other things. The Beach Boys partied with Charles Manson, and Brian Wilson is very spiritually disturbed from the roads he took to deal with the abuse of his father. Bono has even said in interviews that he doesn’t fully understand why Christians accept U2 as a Christian band. Bono has used “Mysterious Ways” to describe his view on the Holy Ghost calling Him a Girl. Why on earth would today’s Church just sit back and say “oh yeah these are good things to listen to?” There is nothing uplifting to the body of Christ with them, and there is no good fruit to come from it.

“Well I don’t take it that way brother, so it’s ok” I’ve heard this kind of stuff before, but let me say this. God is a gentleman and will not go where he is not welcomed, he will not force himself on someone, however Satan isn’t waiting around; the smallest opportunity he has to move in he will and He doesn’t care how someone perceives it. And Christians wonder why they end up having the problems they do.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Look, if you listen to the lyrics of the song in context, you will find it is not the song most idiot preachers made it out to be. The song is about signing up with a record label, and how that was something they thought they wanted, but realized it was going to be like making a deal with the devil. They were realizing what the business was doing to them.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 pm

You will find it is not the song most idiot preachers made it out to be.
I didn’t hear anything about AC/DC from a preacher. I’ve spent most of my life studying music from the artists and labels.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:48 am

Daniel wrote:Stryper are a Christian band? what label were they on?
Is this a joke? They were on Enigma records, then Hollywood. Nowadays I'm not sure if they have a label or just a distributor. Enigma and Hollywood records were not saved like Starsong and Dayspring. Oh wait, labels don't determine ones status with God? Someone tell Vengeance Rising and Dakoda Motor Co.... :P
Last edited by rexreed on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am

Stryper has always been on secular labels. Today they are on Big 3 Records who is also a secular label. However their theme was Christian based. Handing out Bibles, Rockin' for Christ etc... It's a double standard, the Bible makes it very clear, You are either for God or against God. It's a mixed message if you're trying to help someone out of their problem while you're putting the source of the problem right back in there face.

Playing Christian Rock originaly was to sing about God with the style of music we loved. Giving Christians an alternative, but now it's gone from that to, Oh well a little secular music never hurt anyone, really? Think again.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:11 am

Now I remember. Some folks are absolutely black and white. They have a hard time living in the world full of color. I just wish Petra had never covered a secular song, now they are doomed. That was in the early years of Christian music too, before it mutated into the evil spawn of Satan of today.

BTW this post was meant to be read with a sarcastic tone.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:02 am

Not to burst your bubbles, but Daywind and Star Song may have had some Christian people working there, but some of them were not. The BUSINESS was selling Christian music and other materials. Star Song back in the day had certain big wigs into prostitution, drugs, etc, all while Petra was making them rich, and Bob was getting his meager percentage. There was nothing Christian about that. There was nothing Christian about activities in the office, which lead to their demise.

As far as Stryper goes, they were a gimmick. They were selling Jesus to be able to play. Michael finally saw the face of God and changed his ways. Those guys were hitting bunnies shops, snortin' coke and getting drunk all that time they were recording their albums. They made quite a name for themselves in the recording industry. The people they worked with saw right through them. Stryper did more harm than good with their crap testimony back then. We could also get into affairs with married women, etc.....All un Christian acts. Lets not read too much Christianity into Christian music. You will be let down almost every time folks.

So, befor you cannonize these PEOPLE, who are exposed and partake in all of the things secular bands have, you should check reality.
0 x