Dream Theater

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Dream Theater

Post by brent » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Ok, I gave in. The new Dream Theater album and DVD are fabulous. Love them. Andy W did a great job on the mix and Mangini has a better sound than Portnoy IMNSHO.
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Dream Theater

Post by Rocksoup » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:41 am

Just bought the album last night, haven't even got the whole way throught yet. As usual, it's rediculously awesome! At least what I've heard of it. A true supergroup in every sense of the word.
0 x

bradleyr12
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1989

Post by bradleyr12 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:35 am

I TOTALLY AGREE!! Love Breaking All Illusions!! Definatley their best since 6DOIT.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 am

DT lyrics have never been my cup of tea. But I will say that this is the best lyrically since they penned Pull Me Under. It appears to me that Portnoy was a dark force in the music, and now that he is gone, they have dialed the melodic elements back in a bit. Wish I could get through the record without having a part make me so happy that I laugh out loud and replay it repeatedly. This must be the best compliment a band can get. "Hey, I love your record. I can't listen all the way through it because of your guitar licks."
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new album...Mangini is an absolute monster! I think these are some of my favorite DT songs in a long while. Love Rudess's tones on this album too! Stellar effort all the way around.
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Ok. Yesterday I got all the way through. The last song's lyrics and vocals bite IMO. That last tune is the only thing I don't like on the record. Now, next I must sift through the lyrics. The playing on the rest is just sick, as in the good sick. I love the playing. I can't wait to hear the next one. Now that they have reassured everyone that DT is still DT, they can take off from here. I am a fan again.
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Just got tickets for their show in Philly on the 16th. Can't wait. Trivium is supposed to be the opener. We'll see how that goes.
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 am

Total awesomeness in Philly last night. DT played a 2 hr set with a mix of stuff from the new album, as well as a good mix of older stuff. Mike Mangini makes the drum parts look effortless. He's not nearly as animated as Portnoy, which doesn't bother me. A lot less "showboaty". He integrates himself well into an already established group of guys. Great band, great show, great time. Definitely worth the money spent. These guys never disapoint.
Last edited by Rocksoup on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:32 am

Is it me or do these guys seem to smile more and be a little more animated on stage than they have been in the last few years?
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 am

No, the way you see it seems to be the way it is. You can tell that they are enjoying themselves. I think that maybe somebody might be alittle easier to work with than the other sombody.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:21 am

What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend? Homeless.
How do you make a drummer aerodynamic? Take the pizza sign off the top of his car.
What do you call people that hang out with musicians? Drummers.
What are a drummers last words to his band? Why don't you let me write some songs (I am just sayin')
How can you tell when children might become drummers? If they are always late coming in.
How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb? One, but the other three would tell you how they would have done it better.
What does a drummer use for protection? His personality and BO.

All that is for fun. Mike is a gifted drummer. He was on That Metal Show with John Sykes, and they announced they have a power trio band now. It is supposed to be like Blue Murder, Whitesnake, Led Zep, etc. Should be interesting.
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Portnoy will have no problem finding work. He's a legend in his own right, and he knows it. I do enjoy his playing though and will check out his future projects.
0 x