"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Van Halen - Tattoo (Single)

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:19 pm

The clip overall is crap... Roth ain't got the chops, and dances like he is 90 years old.

Eddie's solo is good.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm

DLR is so overated, never liked him; he is the ultimate joke. Sammy had the chops and added so much to them. Boy doesn't the son look like his mom?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:24 am

Eddie is the one I'm concerned about. Did you read the interview with Sammy about what was going on the last couple tours? People are upset with the way certain members are treated in bands, well Eddie and his brother weren't fair to the non Van Halens. Song is a good start though, I hope Eddie is squared away right now.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 am

Daniel wrote:The clip overall is crap... Roth ain't got the chops
This.

A friend of mine saw Van Halen on their 2007-2008 "reunion" tour. He said Roth had a hard time hitting the high notes on the classic songs. It's five years later...how much worse will his voice be live?

By the way...with that haircut, Wolfgang looks like D.J. Conner from Roseanne.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 pm

I like the song. Definitely has some of those vintage Van Halen elements to it. Of course Dave doesn't sound like he used to, it's 27 years later, but I think he still sounds fine and it's classic Van Halen and it's a non offensive song. I'll be interested to see what the rest of the album has to offer. As for Sammy, he needs to get on with his own life. He's been talking so much trash lately, that it's obvious he's feeling like a jilted lover who hasn't been able to get over it. I'll grant you that the Van Halens haven't treated any non Van Halen very well, but Sammy's got a new band now along with Michael and they should focus on what they got going on, let it go and get over it. The real Van Halen is back (well, minus one) and IMO it's good to hear them again.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Song's growing on me.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:08 pm

executioner wrote:DLR is so overated, never liked him; he is the ultimate joke. Sammy had the chops and added so much to them. Boy doesn't the son look like his mom?
Looks like Ozzy Osbourne's son.
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Not sure about this "new" old VanHalen yet. What I am sure about is that I like the new Chickenfoot album with Sammy Hagar and Micheal Anthony. Nice solid rock groove, but the gayest lyrics ever known to man.
DLR's coolness level in this video is about the same as Bob Hope dressing as the Fonz.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:49 pm

BAMMO! Love the new Chicken Foot record.

I can't comment on the VH record yet, because I have not heard it all yet. The thing is, all of these new songs are old Van Halen songs either passed over, or in the case of one or two, on the original demo Gene Simmons produced.

Of course all of these guys are old. Well, Wolfgang isn't old. DLR has NEVER sung his lines in concert. The best shows I saw him do were his solo years with Vai. He was at the top of the DLR thing. DLR has never been a singer, but a showboating, fowl mouthed, front-man. That has been his strength. Now that doesn't float anymore. So, we get what we get with the rest.

DLR sealed his own fate when he declared, "Not even GAWD can stop Van-F'n-Halen!"

One of my friends and former employers is a friend and former business partner with Eddie. I have had answered the studio phone with Ed on the other line. Word is, Ed is the healthiest he has been in a long time, in his head and in his body. I hope the album does well and they continue to sell tickets.
0 x

Rocksoup
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rocksoup » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:26 am

I read some book years ago, I think it was called "The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal" and it chronicled the careers of most of the big rock acts from Sabbath all the way up through Winger. It basically said the same thing as you did, Brent, about DLR being more of a personality than an actual great singer.
0 x

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 am

Simply put....I like it.

I've always preferred DLR to Sammy. Not because I thought Dave was the better singer, (he's not) but because Dave was the better front man. Sammy is great but it's not Van Halen without Dave.

I find it funny how easy it is for us to talk about Dave aging and not able to hit notes blah blah blah... But people will defend certain singers we all love, and act like they are still in their prime when it is obvious that time has caught up and they are not what they used to be. Getting old sucks, but it happens.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Dave is only like 58 it thought? Eddie had part of his tongue removed because of cancer and still smokes.. so these guys do live it hard.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Eddie basically funded a doctor's research, and became the guinea pig. IIRC, a new section of Ed's tongue was grown from his own cells, and replaced the cancerous part. This procedure is illegal in the USA. According to Ed, they have the ability to cure cancer. The smoking was not the origin of the cancer, according to the doctor.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 am

I'm also under the belief that they have a known cure for cancer but choose to withhold it from the public because the medical field(economy) will tank.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!