A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Switchfoot anyone??

Post by executioner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 am

I saw the Guitar Center Lessons the other night on Directv with Switchfoot and I really liked their sound; they seemed to be somewhat vague though on what they believe. I was just wondering if there are any fans of them here and what to you think about them?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Re: Switchfoot anyone??

Post by gman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Love their music. Some of the best stuff out there. I've seen them several times at Creation and they sounded awesome. The lack of a message, or the vagueness of the message is a bit of a downer, but, I've decided that at a festival like Creation, there are plenty of other speakers and bands bringing the message. They were a CCM band when they started out, but I don't recall what kind of message they had. I'm pretty sure that once they went mainstream, they were not playing the older songs anymore.
The lead singer was writing columns for the huffing nad puffington post for awhile, but I don't know if he still is. I'll give him a pass being that he's from California.
0 x

Disciple
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Never Say Die
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Disciple » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:06 pm

I love their song "Gone" and it has a subtle Christian message that life is fleeting and you can't take it with you.
0 x

ricanrolear
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: petra en alabanza
Pethead since: 1997

Post by ricanrolear » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:11 pm

i love Switchfoot.. i saw them on direct tv as well, and i think it was called Guitar Center Sessions
0 x
there's a Light over the Horizon

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:13 am

Well I went on Amazon and got three of their Cd's all for $18 and I will have to say that they are somewhat uneven style wise. Oh Gravity!, Vice Verses, & Hello Hurricane are the 3 I picked up. Oh Gravity! is probably the most popular out of the 3 but the one I like the least; the others are great. I've really just listened to the music so far and haven't got into the message.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

bradleyr12
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1989

Post by bradleyr12 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:48 pm

You never tried to win more secular appeal, or water down your message for a slightly different feel.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 am

executioner wrote:Well I went on Amazon and got three of their Cd's all for $18 and I will have to say that they are somewhat uneven style wise. Oh Gravity!, Vice Verses, & Hello Hurricane are the 3 I picked up. Oh Gravity! is probably the most popular out of the 3 but the one I like the least; the others are great. I've really just listened to the music so far and haven't got into the message.
Try "Beautiful Letdown"..
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:36 pm

All this is just one more example of what made Petra the greatest Christian Rock band of all time.

Though I have really just discovered "Disciple". Close second, IMO. At lest they come across with a clear message.
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 am

Meant to Live and Stars are both decent tunes with a decent message. No, the message is not real up front on either of them, but it's certainly there. Other than that, the band doesn't interest me too much.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Petrafan327
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 2010

Post by Petrafan327 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Switchfoot has a definite Christian message, but they're not the kind of band that you pick up their CD and listen to it and say, "Oh, yeah they're definitely Christian." The best way to know if a band is Christian or not is look up the lyrics online. Also, if you watch a band's live concerts and they are going crazy on stage, likely they are not Christian.
0 x
"I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of men than a fool in the eyes of God"
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Petrafan327/featured