A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Pushing too many boundaries

Post by Mountain Man » Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 am

I've developed a new respect for Michael Sweet from his YouTube clips. He seems personable and is genuinely enthusiastic about his music to the point that he has released several "how to" videos showing how to play different Stryper riffs. There aren't too many artists who are willing to do that.

There's also a hilarious concert clip where someone flipped a double-bird at the stage, and Sweet says, "Are your fingers OK? Let's pray for God to heal those fingers." The guy quickly dropped his hands to his side, and Sweet says, "Oh, look, God does answer prayer!"
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Saw Stryper live the other night. Good show. They are still pretty dang tight. Oz had amp issues throughout the night. I don't know if Perry is a believer or not. There were a couple of times I thought the pointing to God thing got a little gratuitous and show biz. It could be legit, I dunno. There seemed to be a very diverse crowd. Most of us being older. The band played with tracks on a handful of songs. I noticed guitar tracks on one, maybe two. Anyone who bought merch got a ticket to get autographs from the guys after the show. Met some nice people from MO.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed May 30, 2018 4:59 pm

We are going Friday in Dallas at Gas Monkey Live; I've seen them twice there before great venue.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Does Sweet still hit high notes live? I know he doesn't do it on every song like the studio albums, but some of the live albums he hits notes that make my jaw drop; not sure if that's real or post production magic. Some people have accused Stryper of using vocal tracks in their concerts.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:00 pm

He was managing his high notes so he would have something for the end of the night. I could tell he was wanting to bust loose a couple of times. He did a good job.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Great show on Friday in Dallas. They were tight and I think Perry adds a new element to the band. Mike was having some guitar issues and kept having to switch them out. I'm really sold on the new material(last 3 albums) love the older stuff but the new material just sounds more mature & professional.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 pm
Does Sweet still hit high notes live? I know he doesn't do it on every song like the studio albums, but some of the live albums he hits notes that make my jaw drop; not sure if that's real or post production magic. Some people have accused Stryper of using vocal tracks in their concerts.
I could tell they were using some tracks on the backing vocals like for the layered vocals back in the day. Mike was hitting some high notes but he manages them to where he is not burnt out before the show is over.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Yeah, the tracks were pretty noticeable of course, because of the huge vocal choir. The third guitar track was a little obvious. Oz and Mike are playing harmonies and there is a power chord firing off under them. Not sure I like that. But, it's still a good old fashioned rock and roll show, the way it ought to be.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 pm

executioner wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:23 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 pm
I could tell they were using some tracks on the backing vocals like for the layered vocals back in the day. Mike was hitting some high notes but he manages them to where he is not burnt out before the show is over.
Backing vocals I expect to be tracked. It's impossible to get those big chorus harmonies with only three singers on stage. I was curious about straight-up lip syncing since I've read comments from people who are skeptical that Mike can hit those high notes anywhere but on a studio recording. Sounds like he's the real deal. Of course he can't do it on every song like the albums or his voice would be wrecked by the end of the show.
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am

blayze5150 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:27 pm
I have to say something, because for once, I’m more than a little disturbed. I realize Christian Music is a business. I realize, as coined by former WCW president Eric Bischoff, that “Controversy Creates Cash.” I also get that Stryper has long contended that they are “Christians in a band, not a Christian band,” and have never been choir boys. I can’t get past the new album title. THWTD got a pop for the risqué title in 1986 (I even got in trouble for wearing the shirt in junior high), but GD Evil is over the top. It’s not my place to judge, and I hate being negative about a band I’ve loved second only to Petra for most of my life, but for the first time... I’m going to have to pass on this one. I fear this may be a disaster for the band that may be bigger than “Against the Law.” (Old guys like me will remember that one going from “New and Hot” to bargain bin in record time). I get the double meaning, but I think this will upset a lot of their Christian fan base. I don’t see a band as lampooned by the secular world as Stryper has been (look up James Hetfield’s thoughts on THWTD) finding a new fan base in the metal genre. Again... not trying to judge. Just wondering what you guys might think.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THWTD!! REVELATION 20:10 AND I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT STRYPER EVER SAID "Christians in a band not a Christian band" I know, I had a hard time because I can't exactly sing along with their newest song. But Against The Law DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND?! AGAINST THE LAW IS OBVIOUSLY POINTED TOWARD SATAN!!!!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ It makes me want to cry with anger because they are so completely misunderstood 😭😭😭😭 You have to be with the devil in some part if you don't like To Hell With The Devil. Because, TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL!
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:33 am

Shell wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 am
I saw that a few days ago, and it took me a minute to realize it was a play on words. :P They probably could have come up with a better title, but as was pointed out the shock value thing shouldn't be a surprise. I love Michael's voice, but I prefer their early stuff.
I feel exactly the same as you!
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:35 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm
"What are you looking for devil for when you ought to be looking for the Lord?"

"We're on another witch hunt..."
Right! Leave em all alone guys, we're called to glorify God not pick on the people that are! :lol:
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

"We’re not a Christian rock band. We’re a rock band that’s comprised of Christians. That’s a big difference"
- Michael Sweet

The article:
https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2014/03 ... ael-sweet/
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:42 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm
"We’re not a Christian rock band. We’re a rock band that’s comprised of Christians. That’s a big difference"
- Michael Sweet

The article:
https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2014/03 ... ael-sweet/
He had a reason for what he said. I don't like reading articles. I don't like news. I don't like arguments. I hate them even more about people or bands I like. But I also can't seem to stay away from them. But if anything I'd almost say it's vice versa but since they are Christians and their music obviously is then he really said that for no reason imo. That's enough for me I really don't care to hear anymore about it right now.
0 x

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brenthandy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Dude, you should REALLY read what Mike says in his own words. They wanted ZERO, NOTHING to do with CCM. They didn't have a Christian record deal or distribution. They didn't want it. They wanted to be a band that sang about God, and that is what they were. In their prime, they were not living like Christians much. Read Mike's book. He wrote it. He admitted their lifestyle was not glorifying to God, or themselves. They all had marriage problems as a result. I will leave that alone. You are incorrect. They were NOT a Christian band. Singing about God doesn't make a band Christian. There are pastors who aren't Christians.
1 x