A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Steve Perry

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Any Steve Perry (Journey) fans? What is your take on the single No Erasin' ?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Steve Perry

Post by brent » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:19 am

My wife said it best. "He's been away for decades and he comes out with THAT?"

I think Steve got his therapy to heal himself, and that's great. I wanted and needed to like the new record, but I can't. It's depressing to me. The lyrics are cliche and predictable. The melodies are tired. I was hoping to hear some strong guitar on there, since John 5 was involved. But that was just a minuscule part of the record. It was a tease because Steve talked this album up, saying there were some real rockers on it. I didn't hear that at all. YMMV.

If it weren't on Spotify, I would have been upset had I ordered it without hearing it first.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Yeah I that's kinda how I felt about it too. I don't have anything I could add to that Brent. Too little to late.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 am

I've listened a few songs on YouTube... I like it. Perry's voice sounds great (which his detractors will no doubt attribute to studio trickery), and the songs are exactly what I would expect from a Steve Perry solo album. They could easily be cuts from Street Talk or For the Love of Strange Medicine, which I suppose might disappoint those who were hoping for something different, but it falls into that easily marketable vein of "safe and comfortable".
0 x

John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by John Boy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm a huge Steve Perry/Journey fan. I'm glad he was able to record another album, but it's just not that good. Anyone who walks away from music for a long period of time struggles to get back into shape. The difference between instruments and vocals is you can normally get your fingers/hands/whatever back into shape. If you stop singing, it's hard to get the vocal ability back. Steve might have some soul still, but the strength and range are far gone. I saw videos of him singing with the Eels. They had to drop Steve's songs two whole steps, and even then he didn't sound great. Now he has an album with a bunch of ballads, and the lead single has a goofy title. "No Erasin'"? Really?

These are just my opinions. I'm not drinking Haterade. I just know this isn't a good offering from Steve. Few guys from that era can still sing. Dennis DeYoung and Mickey Thomas are two that come to mind. They still sound great and sing the songs in the same keys, but they've never really stopped touring either which could have a positive or negative effect. In their cases, it's been positive. I don't want to see a Steve Perry tour. I don't want a reunion with Journey. In fact, Journey needs to retire. Arnel Pineda is not the guy for that gig.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 pm

There is a big rumor going around that Journey is done...in it's current form.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:28 pm

brent wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 pm
This has been a rumor for years now; We went and saw them this summer with Def Leppard and they both were great. I'm not sure why most hate on Arniel I think is a great front man and brings an added spark to the live shows.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 pm

brent wrote:
Where are they saying this Brent?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 pm
brent wrote:
Where are they saying this Brent?
He just hears and sees things online I think, like he said its rumors. BTW When we went to see them in dallas in August it was a sold out show(19,000+) and they had considered adding a second show but there was not any available times open because of others shows playing the next 2 nights in the same arena. Jonanthan Cain said this is one of Journey's most successful tours to date.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:49 am

Rumors come from concert reviews from people on line and by hosts and callers of radio shows on SiriusXM. It has been reported that Neal Schon made some statements at the end of the last couple of shows, leading people to believe Journey was saying goodbye for a while. It was cryptic. So, the rumors hit the airwaves. He said something to the affect of, "This has been a great Journey over the last 45 years. Thank you. I don't know what the next journey will be, etc."

Journey did big numbers this tour, co-headlining with Def Leppard. The reviews of the Journey shows were spotty. Arnel was having some vocal trouble this time around. Some think Arnel is done. Steve Smith is on record stating that he did not want to do be touring with Journey this long. Although, he looked like he was having the most fun, playing so effortlessly, with a big smile on his face, bringing back the proper groove, swing and space the songs were recorded with. Dean was a hurried, busy, basher by comparison. Arnel is painful to listen to. I have heard the same setlist for about six years now. Unless my wife throws a fit, I think we are done with paying to see them live.

Schon and Cain were not getting along, and that was a public feud everyone can read about. Schon threatened to fire everyone in the band if they didn't get in line. Journey is HIS band and the music is for the fans. Journey is not about promoting religion, politics, etc. In several recent interviews, Neal said the band was taking a minimum off. Neal has other projects he was wanting to focus on. He has lots of creative ideas, but because Journey fans will not tolerate anything but the hits, there is no reason for Journey to ever write or record any. His hope is to reunite with Perry, and do something magical, even if it is outside of Journey. Perry is on record asking interviewers like Katie Couric, "It's like a divorce. Why would someone get a divorce and want to go back? You move on."
1 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Schon wants a reunion/farewell tour with Perry so bad, but it's not going to happen. Perry's voice is shot. He can record an album heavy on the ballads, but that's about it. Perry has no interest in touring.

Schon is married to his fifth wife (yes, that's right...his fifth wife). He pays out a metric ton of alimony to his 4 ex-wives...that's part of the reason Journey tours so much. Their rigorous touring schedule darn near ruined Steve Augeri's voice, and it's doing the same thing to Arnel Peneda.

When Journey had Deen Castronovo as their drummer, he helped Pineda out a lot with the high notes/backing vocals, and occasionally sang lead vocals too. Now that he's gone, you can really tell the difference.

Going off on a tangent here, but has anyone heard Jonathan Cain's Christian album What God Wants To Hear? Is it any good?
1 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:39 am

If you are talking about the one he did a couple of years ago, Yes and no it isn't, IMO. I don't doubt the man's sincerity, but he is subject to his wife's doctrines and she is WAAAAY off. They have that "California-new-age-Tony Robbins-religion". That said, the Christmas album he did last year has some good covers of traditional tunes. I listened to it for the keys. Vocals are a bit over compressed (as is custom these days), so I can't listen to them for long. JC has some good range and his voice sounds younger than he is.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 am

executioner wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:28 pm
brent wrote:
This has been a rumor for years now; We went and saw them this summer with Def Leppard and they both were great. I'm not sure why most hate on Arniel I think is a great front man and brings an added spark to the live shows.
Arnel seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he unfortunately never found his own "voice". He's little more than a Steve Perry impersonator, which I think greatly limits him as an artist. It has also torn up his vocal chords, because most of Perry's classic performances are out of his range.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am

All the guys that have been in place since Steve Perry left Journey have tried to mimic Perry, if they had used their own voice/style it might not have ever worked. That is why as Petra fans when Greg X left we were lucky enough to have John S who had his own voice/style.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:01 am

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:44 pm
Perry's voice is shot.
I agree, does anyone know if there is anything that can done to repair a voice once you're over 60?
0 x