Steve Perry

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Steve Perry

Post by brent » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:55 pm

A voice is from the whole body. If he was really inactive for 20 years vocally, gained 50 pounds (as he said), his age, diet, lack of use, dentures, muscle loss, etc adversely affected his enunciation, power, tone, vibrato, etc.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 am

Woah never thought of it that way, yes that is a lot of work to get the whole body back. I think he had his hips replaced too. That is why Axl Rose lost it too (other than the drugs)
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am
All the guys that have been in place since Steve Perry left Journey have tried to mimic Perry, if they had used their own voice/style it might not have ever worked. That is why as Petra fans when Greg X left we were lucky enough to have John S who had his own voice/style.
Jeff Scott Soto sang with his own distinctive style, but he only toured with Journey for about six-months when Schon suddenly and unexpectedly fired him without explanation, so he never had the chance to record anything with them.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 am
Woah never thought of it that way, yes that is a lot of work to get the whole body back. I think he had his hips replaced too. That is why Axl Rose lost it too (other than the drugs)
Although Axl got it back. I've seen videos from his tour with AC/DC, and he sounded great. Of course, he's a bit younger than Perry, so not as much of stretch for him to get back in shape.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 pm

According to NS now, JSS was not the voice of Journey. While they were buddies from other side projects, NS and JC wanted a first tenor and the Journey sound. That's how they tell it now. JSC has a pretty ok gig(s) now (Sons of Apollo, Soto, Trans Siberian Orchestra, etc).
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 am

I'm sure Schon had his reasons, but the way be handled it was the problem. Getting unexpectedly fired over the phone without an explanation is like a punch to the gut.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 am

Hey guys, I decided to give Johnathan Cain's audiobook a listen. I am about 70% through. Very interesting book. He glosses over some details and doesn't go into all of the era with Augeri. In fact, it might have been edited so that it sounds like revisionist history. I would recommend it. According to him, he has had an on again, off again, relationship with God since childhood.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:27 pm

I bought the album just because I like Steve Perry. And that's exactly who this album is for: people who already like Steve Perry. This isn't going to "wow" a first-time listener, and if you're a Perry detractor then there's nothing here that will change your mind. His voice sounds a little rougher and breathier than it used to but remains pleasant and soulful, and he still has a decent range, although he never reaches for the epic high notes he used to effortlessly hit decades ago. This is a 100% ballad album. Some are a little more upbeat than others, but they're all ballads.

So not bad, not great... just a nice, pleasant, middle-of-the-road record.
0 x