US shutdown

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Markus
Pethead
Pethead

US shutdown

Post by Markus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:24 am

Hello my American friends! :)

since the US shutdown lasted 35 days, I wondered whether the employees would actually not be paid a whole month now or whether they would receive the money "only" a month later.

All the best,
Markus
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: US shutdown

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

I think most if not all are getting back pay
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 am

Even if they get their money back it does not help the problem that the country finds itself in a moral crisis in which many people, even some who identify as Christians, continue to support a man who lies and treats and talks about other human beings in ways that should not be supported by anyone with moral intergrity.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 am

curt wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 am
Even if they get their money back it does not help the problem that the country finds itself in a moral crisis in which many people, even some who identify as Christians, continue to support a man who lies and treats and talks about other human beings in ways that should not be supported by anyone with moral intergrity.
Your too funny!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am

curt wrote:
Your too funny!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 pm

curt wrote:
Classic SJW outrage, LMAO.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 am

Politics :roll:
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 am

curt wrote:
I honestly don't understand how cultural loyalties can be so strong that it blinds people to what Curt said.
Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 pm
Classic SJW outrage, LMAO.
I thought Jesus was the greatest SJW ever, so not sure why the LMAO. Is that classic evangelicalism/republicanism?
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Too funny...
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:58 pm
Too funny...
executioner wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am
curt wrote:
Your too funny!
One can't win a political debate simply by laughing at the other side. Both sides have opinions which should be respected, regardless of who is actually right. Laughing is irrelevant and proves no point, it merely shows one hasn't much respect for any one else's views. Though I don't know why politics was brought up on the first place, I guess that's just the way things go on the zone sometimes :lol:
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Markus
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Markus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Friends,

it was honestly not my intention to split people here! I was just curiously, if people get paid or not and if this could be a very hard time for them or not. Nothing more.

Please be kind!

And thank you for your answers!

Best,
Markus
1 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Oh, I know we don't always agree, but I'd still be happy to have a beer with Dan or Exe some time :lol:
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Well Pete, I was in the Nederlands last year and I must say Hieneken tastes completely different to the export, I'll never drink an export again. I plan to go back, was a great time so we'll have a beer next time.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I'll bite. Generally speaking, once the gov't reopens, workers do get back pay to cover whatever time they didn't get paid. Is it hard on them? I suppose it is an inconvenience. The mainstream U.S. media tends to push the idea that large numbers of unpaid workers are in danger of losing their home, they're lining up at the nearest soup kitchen, the kids aren't getting Christmas presents, etc, etc. But, as I understand, it isn't that way for most, or at least shouldn't be. I just heard the other day that there are programs available through credit unions and banks that will loan money interest free to federal workers during shutdown periods. It makes sense because I saw a link on my bank's website for folks impacted by the shutdown.
I think honestly, in a situation like that, most mortgage companies are willing to work with someone. If I would miss a mortgage payment on the due date, they are not foreclosing on m house the next. They might slap me with a late fee or interest, and wait awhile to see if I make the payment. No one loses their home overnight. It's drawn out process that would take much longer than your average Gov't shutdown. And like I said earlier, money is available if needed.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 am

p-freak wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 am
curt wrote:
I honestly don't understand how cultural loyalties can be so strong that it blinds people to what Curt said.
Because what he said was just a typical liberal rant without substance and full of hidden assumptions that really aren't worth the effort of teasing out. Rush Limbaugh once said that the trouble with debating a liberal is that you have to spend so much time and energy simply bringing them up to speed with basic facts that you're never able to get around to actually making your point.
0 x