When did YOU start your Petra obsession?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

When did YOU start your Petra obsession?

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 am

Alright everybody, so how and when did you guys start your Petra obsession, what was the first song you heard, whole album you heard, where you heard of them, your favorite member of the band (now the lineup I think of is John Schlitt, Louie Weaver, Bob Hartman, Ronny Cates, and John Lawry, but if your favorite comes from a different one that's okay😎) what is your favorite album and song, and the approximate (or exact if you remember) day and time you became a Petra fan. Everybody's Petra story is original and I will enjoy reading them
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: When did YOU start your Petra obsession?

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:04 am

So I kept getting suggestions of this band called Petra on Spotify when I was getting into like Whitecross and Bride and they kept coming up. Two of their songs, 'Stand', and 'Seen and Not Heard', were the first two I ever heard because of my Daily Mix. Not too long later in a row of albums 'Related to Whitecross' was 'Unseen Power' and became my new favorite album. I had remarked to someone in a conversation in a chat on Pinterest that Unseen Power was a really good album and we were ending our chat so I proceeded to listen to it on YouTube. Now we ended it at like 1:00am 8). But instead of finding the whole album I found this almost hour-long video of 'Backstage Pass'. I share a room with 2 of my sisters and I had to keep pausing it so they didn't wake up on me :lol: (I couldn't sleep! :lol: ) So I finished that at around 2:00-ish in the morning, and that became my favorite thing in film history (still is 8) ) and then they woke up. I was like talking all fast and excited about how they were my new favorite band, and not Stryper anymore, and how a part of it made me laugh, and I was probably a little overexcited, but who cares, Petra's great and that was the best time of my life. So after that is listened to every album with John from Back to the Street to Wake Up Call and Back To The Street is my favorite album. The ones that stood out to me were Altar Ego and Whole World. My favorite Petra song is You Are My Rock. I love the powerful feel in it and the end of Just Reach Out when he goes 🎶Iiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnn!!!!🎶 at the end. I think the most of you know what I'm talking about :) My favorite member is John Lawry. (Girls, he's really cute, right? 8) ) I think the day and time I became a Petra fan was April 21st 2019 at 2:00am. The first album I ever bought of there's was Unseen Power, and although that wasnt going to be my first choice I think it's fitting because it was the first one I heard.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am

My Dad used to be a Christian Classic Rock fan during the 80's and 90's, (he even had the hair), he liked DANIEL BAND, Resurrection Band, Stryper, Darrel Mansfield, and Petra.

I grew up hearing the Colouring Song and sometimes It Is Finished... In 2017 when I started listening to more music I ended up downloading Back to the Rock along with Owl City music. My favourite song at first was Judas Kiss, I still like that song, the tasty intro riff.

I thought it was cool that there was a Christian band that sounded so good. It took a while for me to get used to the harder Petra songs and John's voice (having never been into hard rock before) but now I love it.

Originally I liked Greg and the albums from NSD to BTTS, now I like John's era quite a bit.

Hard to say my favourite song nowadays, do here are a few:
Right Place, Hit You Where You Live, Judas Kiss, Rose Coloured Stained Glass Windows, Graverobber, Test of Time...

I like most Petra songs really. It's sad that my generation mostly doesn't know about them.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am
My Dad used to be a Christian Classic Rock fan during the 80's and 90's, (he even had the hair), he liked DANIEL BAND, Resurrection Band, Stryper, Darrel Mansfield, and Petra.

I grew up hearing the Colouring Song and sometimes It Is Finished... In 2017 when I started listening to more music I ended up downloading Back to the Rock along with Owl City music. My favourite song at first was Judas Kiss, I still like that song, the tasty intro riff.

I thought it was cool that there was a Christian band that sounded so good. It took a while for me to get used to the harder Petra songs and John's voice (having never been into hard rock before) but now I love it.

Originally I liked Greg and the albums from NSD to BTTS, now I like John's era quite a bit.

Hard to say my favourite song nowadays, do here are a few:
Right Place, Hit You Where You Live, Judas Kiss, Rose Coloured Stained Glass Windows, Graverobber, Test of Time...

I like most Petra songs really. It's sad that my generation mostly doesn't know about them.
Cool, and thanks for sharing! I'm trying to get more Greg+Petra albums but so far I only have 3 or 4 songs.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Y'know, I kinda wish my dad was like yours, :roll: no seriously, I'm a HUGE fan of that whole look, the hair especially but my dad certainly doesn't like that kind of music I'm sure and he'd never ever ever probably even consider that hair although my mom told me she secretly likes the hair when he goes to get a haircut cause that means it's starting to get longer. 8) Ohhhh well :lol:
0 x