A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Good advice for singing??

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 am

If you have any good advice for singing up front pls let me know! Oh, and when you're singing, and you're singing an actual song, like for example, a Petra song, would you have to do karaoke or can you sing with a voice, like, have the song playing with you? Idk if that's something kind of looked down on, something you just don't do or anything. Any tips or advice or things like that are welcome, thx :)
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: Good advice for singing??

Post by George Harrison » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 pm

In regard to having a backing track I guess it depends where you are singing?

Do you mean advice for singing in front of people specifically or general advice on how to sing better?
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Sort of both

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Well, yes in front of people, but I guess maybe also on how to sing better in general too. I am a huge scaredy-cat when it comes to singing up front😑

I am singing at Camp Grace for the talent show so nothing super big except for someone like me all alone. My guess is that a backing track would be fine but my sisters were saying ew about two ppl who sang with them so I didn't want to be 'ew'd at :lol: But I wanted to get a sure answer. It's much bigger than my teeny church so probably it's alright?? :| I am planning on singing Montana Sky by Whiteheart
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:41 pm

I'm not sure. I'm sure they'd have no problem if you sang with an instrumental track. I am not sure either way about singing with a vocal track.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 am

George Harrison wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:41 pm
I'm not sure. I'm sure they'd have no problem if you sang with an instrumental track. I am not sure either way about singing with a vocal track.
Okay, maybe someone else knows
0 x

GabrielHansberry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 2010

Post by GabrielHansberry » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 am

As an introvert, singing publicly has always been terrifying to me. Singing at all, really. :) But once I started doing it, it became addictive.

So first off, there is nothing that "just isn't done". Everything can be done somewhere. Even some "live" musicians use instrumental tracks. However, some things do work better than others. A karaoke track is definitely ideal, since then you're the center of attention. With vocal tracks, you have to compete with the recorded vocals, and you really don't want to be competing with the likes of Petra's and Whiteheart's vocalists. Really, you don't want to do that to yourself. I've seen it done a few times, and it never turned out very well.

Beyond that, my advice for singing "up front", is to sing with strength, since the tendency is to become quieter and quieter, and to ignore any mistakes you make, so you can keep going. Make everything you do seem intentional, even if it isn't. If you act confident, eventually you will be confident.

And don't worry about being 'ew'd at; everyone gets 'ew'd at by someone. It can hurt, but it really is inevitable. Just be yourself, and use the gifts God has given you!
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 am

GabrielHansberry wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 am
As an introvert, singing publicly has always been terrifying to me. Singing at all, really. :) But once I started doing it, it became addictive.

So first off, there is nothing that "just isn't done". Everything can be done somewhere. Even some "live" musicians use instrumental tracks. However, some things do work better than others. A karaoke track is definitely ideal, since then you're the center of attention. With vocal tracks, you have to compete with the recorded vocals, and you really don't want to be competing with the likes of Petra's and Whiteheart's vocalists. Really, you don't want to do that to yourself. I've seen it done a few times, and it never turned out very well.

Beyond that, my advice for singing "up front", is to sing with strength, since the tendency is to become quieter and quieter, and to ignore any mistakes you make, so you can keep going. Make everything you do seem intentional, even if it isn't. If you act confident, eventually you will be confident.

And don't worry about being 'ew'd at; everyone gets 'ew'd at by someone. It can hurt, but it really is inevitable. Just be yourself, and use the gifts God has given you!
Yes, this is exactly how I was feeling. I hoped kind of to get an answer like this. Well, I feel like it would be harder to sing without the voice. I have never done a solo before or really had much of any experience up front except maybe a little. But even then I wasn't completely alone. I'll have to think about doing a karaoke thing; I never have before. I'm always singing in my room (I share one with two sisters, so they're always my audience, but then I sing in the singers voice not my own. In all honesty I really don't have a good singing voice. I really don't like it. But I figure since I love music so much and I do like singing, pester my bravery too and sing up front. I have such a wonderful opportunity I don't want to turn it down. You see, every year at Camp Grace they have a talent show on the last night. I haven't done anything even when most of my cabin did because I am terrified of the stage. I don't play, haven't really had any experience, and I cannot read sheet music. Yet in all this maybe I am still supposed to. I am not giving up though, I hate quitters although I am one myself :oops: I feel that I am getting better at it now, though. I always try to keep in mind 1Corinthians 10:31. It's one of my favorite verses.

So now, whatever you do, wether you eat or drink, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

But yeah, thx for the amazing advice, I'll mess around a bit and try my best to give it a shot
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:50 am

Oh, I have learned from a lady at my Church, to make sure you do everything seemingly intentional because, she stopped in the middle of her song twice to say 'excuse me' when she accidentally sang a different part, making it more embarrassing for herself and everyone else than if she would've just kept on singing :roll: :lol: Kind of like in ballet, right? Haha never done that either, but I think that's a rule.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Some people say if you play a wrong note, do it several more times so it sounds intentional :lol:
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:35 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:37 pm
Some people say if you play a wrong note, do it several more times so it sounds intentional :lol:
Haha yeah I suppose that would work :lol:
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Best choice to sing up front

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Which of these songs should I sing up front? I can't choose!
・Ready or Not - Degarmo and Key
・Hand in Hand - Degarmo and Key
・ All I Can See - Newsboys
・ Montana Sky - White Heart
・ Mt - 77's
・ Hands and Feet - Audio Adrenaline
・ Open Book - Petra
・No Doubt - Petra
Anyone's opinion welcome! And answers are needed by August 2nd at the latest if at all, thx:) Plz put your reason for choosing the song you did, thank you;)
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Montana Sky
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:02 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:55 pm
Montana Sky
Ok, why plz?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am

I would still like others opinions though, cause whichever one getx the most votes by August 2nd is my choice. My sisters picked Mt and Open Book, I honestly don't know right now, so I'm just waiting until I get enough votes for one song.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am

I like no doubt.
0 x