0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Katy Perry Allegedly Copies Christian Rap Song, Is Successfully Sued

Post by brenthandy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm

This isn't over.

The problem with this is, the people making these decisions are musically illiterate. This guy sounds well educated and sharp. But, he hasn't really done anything significant in 10 years. He hasn't had significant sales for 15. He is too old to be relevant to the youth at this point. He has no major label deal, has his own indie label, doesn't have any major airplay as a result (that is reported anyway). So, he isn't exactly influencing the pop music scene.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: Katy Perry Allegedly Copies Christian Rap Song, Is Successfully Sued

Post by George Harrison » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 am

I agree. In this case I don't think the songs are actually that similar; not enough to be considered plagiarism imo. There are only a certain amount of melodies that can be made that most people will actually like after all. I suppose it is possible that it was copied however. Katy Perry probably did listen to CCM at one point because she started off as a Christian artist...

Sometimes the copyright laws get out of hand. I know of numerous music YouTubers who continually have their videos demonitized because they played a short section of a song. In some cases they won't even mention some songs in fear of being demonitized.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'