A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Does Brent know?

Post by George Harrison » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:55 pm

There is this PDC song that I remember, but for the life of me I can't find out which one it is.

It has a long instrumental part in the beginning which has recordings of various televangelists and politicians lying and saying ridiculous or blasphemous things on top of it. Later in the song I believe there are vocals. I thought it was on the album mechanism.

I thought that was interesting, but when I went to find it I could not, so it's annoying me. Maybe Brent knows what it's called?
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Does Brent know?

Post by brenthandy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:00 am

There are two versions of the album Mechanism. One is the download version. One is the CD version. The original CD release was to have two discs and come in a double LP package. There were to be lots of art and lyrics people can read, just like the old days. We never pressed CDs for retail sale because the market changed by the time we mastered.

The song you are inquiring about is Trust.

There is a 70's clip from the CBS news about the dishonesty of those in public office. There are clips of Nixon, Bush Sr., Clinton, Obama lying through their teeth. There was a clip of Oprah, who once professed to be a Christian who grew up in the black church, who denies God and Jesus Christ on air. Then there is the stupid idiot Creflo Dollar saying life in Jesus is NOT about peace. It's about money. If you don't have no money, you can't have no peace." And people wonder why the Word of Faith heresy is dying out under the old guard.

This song has an alternate verse, which is how the song started originally. The verse is a true story. My old pastor was approached by a man in a grocery store parking lot and asked for cash. The man in distress had no shirt, shorts and said his family was waiting in a car on the side of the nearby highway, waiting on him to return with fuel to get from Tulsa to OKC. My pastor was in a hurry but was convicted and took him to the ATM. He felt like he was being tested by God. Fast forward a few weeks. Sunday morning, same guy, same clothes, walks into our church telling people the same story, He is brought to the pastor who remembers who the guy was. The guy takes off running out the door. I took that, combined with all of the professional con artist panhandlers (who can make a VERY good living) and wrote the tune. Then, I got to thinking about the other big liars who merely want something for nothing...politicians.

Then, like all the songs I write, I personalized it and wrote the verse about parents. While it was about mine and the parents of my friends who started off being big wigs in church or a denomination and then went off the rails, leaving their kids questioning God, faith, marriage, their sexuality, life....everything.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: Does Brent know?

Post by George Harrison » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:00 pm

Thank you for telling me which song this was. I can't find it on Spotify or YouTube, is there anywhere were I can listen to this version of Trust? ( The one with the recordings of Oprah, Bush, etc)
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'