A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
curt
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Need Resources !!!

Post by curt » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:02 am

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am
:lol: :lol: I think Curt was saying people that do take it for more than a joke are like that :lol:
Exactly. :lol:
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:31 am

I made a playlist, on Spotify and if you think there's songs that should be on it lemme know 😉
Also here's a list I'm starting with different scriptures that I like to read when people start mocking
Isaiah 36
Daniel 3

https://open.spotify.com/user/bellarina ... 6MuvvwPTCg
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:27 am
curt wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am
Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:53 pm
A joke my uncle once told me:

Some scientists were feeling pretty proud of themselves, so they challenged God to a contest where each would make a human being from dust, and then they would put them through a series of trials to see which was the best creation. God readily agreed, so the scientists set out with shovels and buckets, and God asked them what they thought they were doing. "We're going to get some dust," they said. "That's my dust," God replied. "Go make your own."
There are two reasons to laugh. First of all it is a pretty funny story for what it is. Second, it is so completely question begging that anyone who takes it for more than a joke is mainly making a fool of him or herself.
Dude, it was just a joke. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This sort of over analysis reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbs comic...

"A man tells his dog, 'Heel!' The dog says, 'It takes one to know one.' Ha ha ha! Wait, why aren't you laughing? Don't you know a good joke when you hear it?"
"I'm trying to figure out how the dog learned to talk."
There is very little humor coming from that region these days, I believe it was actually outlawed.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:42 am

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am
:lol: :lol: I think Curt was saying people that do take it for more than a joke are like that :lol:
I guess I'm confused why he thought anybody would take it as more than just a joke.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am

Oh I understand, people who are very dumb, especially atheists who think they're smart, probably would question it to showcase their theory.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:32 am

I know an extremely intelligent Atheist who didn't understand humor they would try to read too much into jokes and try to turn the joke around and other awkward things. They were later diagnosed with Asperger's so I don't think it is exclusive to Atheism in general because I know Atheists that have a great sense of humor, they probably are not posting on this Christian message board. Humor is subjective to culture, some cultures laughing or making fun of someone or something is a lawless act. It's going to be an interesting decade to come, social media and video platforms are trying to crack down on humor, I understand stopping targeted harassment to a degree, but things are going full 1984. This site will be a gem in these times.
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am

Exactly 8)
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 am

One of the counselors at my camp made a joke that probably wasn't very nice, and not how God works but I must admit I still think of it and laugh from time to time.

When God made the first black person: "Whoops burnt that one!"
And a friend of mine told me some jokes (I only remember one) that I couldn't help laughing at partly because I laugh at almost everything.

Q. Why do black people have white palms and soles?
A. Because they were on all fours when God painted them.
I suppose they are very offensive to some. I told another friend of mine the jokes and she didn't laugh-- at all.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Uh, yeah, those jokes are pretty darn offensive, and not in a "they're politically incorrect" sort of way but because they're blatantly racist.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 am
One of the counselors at my camp made a joke that probably wasn't very nice, and not how God works but I must admit I still think of it and laugh from time to time.

And a friend of mine told me some jokes (I only remember one) that I couldn't help laughing at partly because I laugh at almost everything.

I suppose they are very offensive to some. I told another friend of mine the jokes and she didn't laugh-- at all.
I could see why the second one would be considered offensive, true. The first I've heard before and is somewhat funny, albeit not politically correct. Also it depends on why, how and to whom you make these jokes.

Btw Diehard, I found the forum you said this debate was taking place, and it was rather interesting :lol:

Two or three of them were not at all actually interested in debating, they preferred trying to mock you and insult your beliefs, after asking you to "prove it" to you. Furthermore, they apparently thought they should try to upset a 13 year old by talking about sexual things on a forum? These people lacked maturity and decency. I'd try to avoid them if I were you, either way, try not to get to worked up because they were just making themselves look silly, the more you just let them talk the worse they make themselves look.

Obviously there are atheists who are genuinely nice, and intelligent people, but these were not some of them.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Oh- you did- I suppose it's not hard to find 😅Btw, that's what I told Geoff- he's immature and not nice- if you didn't discover that too already :lol:

Yikes, for some reason I'm a little embarrassed. What topic were you on anyway?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 am

I could see why the second one would be considered offensive, true. The first I've heard before and is somewhat funny, albeit not politically correct. Also it depends on why, how and to whom you make these jokes.
She said that the first one was on her mind all through camp and she had to tell us.
The second one the guy told me because he thought of it on the spot after I told him the first one
And then I told another friend just because, but she didn't respond quite how I thought she would :lol:
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:19 pm

On the cross, how low do you think Jesus' confidence was? On a scale of one to ten I wonder if it wasn't a 3. He maybe thought of heaven and us and remembered why he was on there. I don't know. My friend Callie wouldn't give it a whole lot of thought. . .
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Jesus didn't want to go through the ordeal of crucifixion, that much is clear from his prayers in the garden where he sweated blood, a condition symptomatic of burst blood vessels from a highly elevated heart rate due to extreme stress. It's been known to happen to soldiers in combat. But his cry on the cross of "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!" is actually the beginning of Psalm 22 which speaks of the victory of God and those who serve him, so it wasn't an utterance of despair as some people believe.
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Dude that's cool! I didn't know that :

Edit: I guess I did know that. . . My dad had already told me that and I wrote it in my Bible :lol:
1 x