Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Re: Need Resources !!!

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Scientific evidence anyone?
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:57 am

Scientific evidence for what?
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:30 pm

This guy wants scientific evidence that God could have created the universe/ existed at all. I've got some videos to watch, a book to tread, different things, it's going pretty good, I'm watching my back though as this could be sort of a dangerous subject
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:30 pm
This guy wants scientific evidence that God could have created the universe/ existed at all. I've got some videos to watch, a book to tread, different things, it's going pretty good, I'm watching my back though as this could be sort of a dangerous subject
God exists beyond our parameters of time, space and matter. Our scientific reasoning would have a tough time dealing with that reality. However, I see concrete evidence of what God has done in our universe and in my life.

I pray that you have some success in your efforts, but I think we start to tread on thin ice when using the scientific method of inquiry to prove the existence of God.

Science is not a collection of facts, it's a method for acquiring knowledge that hopefully avoids human bias. Once we start trying to prove something we are already convinced is true, our biases and assumptions almost always interfere with legitimate scientific inquiry.

Again, I hope you are able to succeed. Try your best, but do not fear failing where many others have also failed. When scattering seeds, one never knows what may take root.
2 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm

The first question to ask is what makes him think that science is the right tool for determining God's existence? God, by definition, is a metaphysical being, and science, by definition, can only deal with the physical. There are many questions facing mankind that science can't answer, which is why the disciplines of philosophy and theology exist.

So rather than trying to answer the question, challenge the validity of his premise that science is the right tool for the job.
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Yeah- my dad has some magazines that I've been reading and Abriana, the girl in college, has given me a bunch of different resources that will be quite helpful 8)

The booklet I got at the conference that still has all my notes in it is more than helpful as well. I'm not even going to try and prove God scientifically. However, I will give him the Toppling Ten Fake Facts That Prop Evolution :mrgreen:

Thanks, all you guys! You gotta be pretty brain dead to be an atheist, I'm thinking.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm
Yeah- my dad has some magazines that I've been reading and Abriana, the girl in college, has given me a bunch of different resources that will be quite helpful 8)

The booklet I got at the conference that still has all my notes in it is more than helpful as well. I'm not even going to try and prove God scientifically. However, I will give him the Toppling Ten Fake Facts That Prop Evolution :mrgreen:

Thanks, all you guys! You gotta be pretty brain dead to be an atheist, I'm thinking.
ACTS & FACTS and CREATION MAGAZINE by Creation ministries international are both very good magazines. The first is free to subscribe, second is paid. Or check out their website!
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm
The first question to ask is what makes him think that science is the right tool for determining God's existence? God, by definition, is a metaphysical being, and science, by definition, can only deal with the physical. There are many questions facing mankind that science can't answer, which is why the disciplines of philosophy and theology exist.

So rather than trying to answer the question, challenge the validity of his premise that science is the right tool for the job.
Excellent point. I've never thought of this before
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:46 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 pm
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm

ACTS & FACTS and CREATION MAGAZINE by Creation ministries international are both very good magazines. The first is free to subscribe, second is paid. Or check out their website!
Acts and Facts are the ones I'm looking at :mrgreen:
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Just be careful getting sucked into an evolution debate, and be careful of which Christian sources you use, because a lot of creation science is actually really bad science, and there are few things atheists relish more than the opportunity to tear apart creationist arguments. The thing to remember is that even if evolution is true, in whole or in part, it doesn't undermine scripture, nor does it disprove God. First, the Bible is not a science textbook, and Genesis is not a literal telling of how God created the universe. And second, evolution can't explain why the universe even exists in the first place. If, as is my belief, God is a necessary precondition of the universe existing, then even if evolution is 100% true, it doesn't disprove God.

A joke my uncle once told me:

Some scientists were feeling pretty proud of themselves, so they challenged God to a contest where each would make a human being from dust, and then they would put them through a series of trials to see which was the best creation. God readily agreed, so the scientists set out with shovels and buckets, and God asked them what they thought they were doing. "We're going to get some dust," they said. "That's my dust," God replied. "Go make your own."
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Just be careful getting sucked into an evolution debate, and be careful of which Christian sources you use, because a lot of creation science is actually really bad science, and there are few things atheists relish more than the opportunity to tear apart creationist arguments. The thing to remember is that even if evolution is true, in whole or in part, it doesn't undermine scripture, nor does it disprove God. First, the Bible is not a science textbook, and Genesis is not a literal telling of how God created the universe. And second, evolution can't explain why the universe even exists in the first place. If, as is my belief, God is a necessary precondition of the universe existing, then even if evolution is 100% true, it doesn't disprove God.

Some scientists were feeling pretty proud of themselves, so they challenged God to a contest where each would make a human being from dust, and then they would put them through a series of trials to see which was the best creation. God readily agreed, so the scientists set out with shovels and buckets, and God asked them what they thought they were doing. "We're going to get some dust," they said. "That's my dust," God replied. "Go make your own."
That's my new favorite joke! :lol: I'll be careful, this guy isn't going to suck me up (although that's all he tries to do by answering half my questions and whatnot.) It all boils down to his life isn't good enough for him, or any atheist for that matter, and I asked him why he's so afraid to fight- not fight with me in a debate against evolution, but join in God's fight against the devil where we already have a victory- and that's another thing. I've already got the victory, whether he 'wins' or 'loses' -which terms should actually be switched around 😋- it's all part of God's plan.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am

Mountain Man wrote:

There are two reasons to laugh. First of all it is a pretty funny story for what it is. Second, it is so completely question begging that anyone who takes it for more than a joke is mainly making a fool of him or herself.
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 am

:lol: Oof yeah :lol: :lol:
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:27 am

curt wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am
Mountain Man wrote:

There are two reasons to laugh. First of all it is a pretty funny story for what it is. Second, it is so completely question begging that anyone who takes it for more than a joke is mainly making a fool of him or herself.
Dude, it was just a joke. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This sort of over analysis reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbs comic...

"A man tells his dog, 'Heel!' The dog says, 'It takes one to know one.' Ha ha ha! Wait, why aren't you laughing? Don't you know a good joke when you hear it?"
"I'm trying to figure out how the dog learned to talk."
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am

:lol: :lol: I think Curt was saying people that do take it for more than a joke are like that :lol:
1 x