A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

A problem

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:45 pm

I don’t know why, but whenever I have a problem, something I should pray about, I don't- and instead I go to someone else. I don't know what to do, how to really make praying natural, and not to get distracted. I've been told to make it a habit, but it's hard to get into a habit when you don't have the irresistible desire to start in the first place, you know? Ohhhhh here I am doing the exact thing I'm complaining about always doing :| :| How do you find a desire to really pray? And then get so close that's your first response ? I always go to my best friend, Julie, who's about as old as my mom, whenever I need to talk to someone that has had experience with something, or I guess just to vent, but that's because we're very close. I just wish that was my response to God. Anyone have/had this problem??
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: A problem

Post by George Harrison » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm

This is not uncommon. One thing you could do is start of praying just a few minutes each day, and as you get used to that and it becomes natural you can slowly increase it. You can also try praying a bit in between your normal day to day life as you have time. Just some thoughts :P
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:12 am

George Harrison wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm
This is not uncommon. One thing you could do is start of praying just a few minutes each day, and as you get used to that and it becomes natural you can slowly increase it. You can also try praying a bit in between your normal day to day life as you have time. Just some thoughts :P
I'll really try, thank you : )
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:10 pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking wisdom from someone with more knowledge and experience. God never intended for us to go through the journey of life on our own. Everything in the Garden of Eden was good, except for Adam's solitude (Genesis 2:23); "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17); "let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another" (Hebrews 10:25).

I'm not downplaying the importance of prayer, only pointing out that you should never feel guilty about seeking the advice of a spiritually mature mentor, because that is 100% biblical.

So out of curiosity, have you brought this question to your friend Julie?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:10 pm
There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking wisdom from someone with more knowledge and experience. God never intended for us to go through the journey of life on our own. Everything in the Garden of Eden was good, except for Adam's solitude (Genesis 2:23); "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17); "let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another" (Hebrews 10:25).

I'm not downplaying the importance of prayer, only pointing out that you should never feel guilty about seeking the advice of a spiritually mature mentor, because that is 100% biblical.

Yes, I think I have, but I'm not sure she really answered it completely. I know we are supposed to talk to others and seek others' advice, but I'm afraid I've done that too often instead of going to God first when I should.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:01 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm
Mountain Man wrote:

Yes, I think I have, but I'm not sure she really answered it completely. I know we are supposed to talk to others and seek others' advice, but I'm afraid I've done that too often instead of going to God first when I should.
Fair enough. Just remember the advice from Praying Man: "Prayer works when you take the time to pray!"

Prayer is important, but sometimes I feel like when I'm asking God about something, the answer is, "Why are you asking me? You already know what you're supposed to do, so do it!"
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:01 pm
Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm
Mountain Man wrote:

Fair enough. Just remember the advice from Praying Man: "Prayer works when you take the time to pray!"

Prayer is important, but sometimes I feel like when I'm asking God about something, the answer is, "Why are you asking me? You already know what you're supposed to do, so do it!"
Exactly! That lyric always feels like it's pushing me and pulls on my conscience, because I know that I should pray- but when I make praying a habit then I get more of a "you know what to do now! 😉" answer 😕
1 x