#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Re: Favorite movie(s)?

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:44 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:23 pm
Progfan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm
I like all Star Wars movies, to varying degrees. I keep going back to Rogue One, and truly consider it to be a near masterpiece in the Star Wars canon. Sure, it has a few flaws, but it is just so good. It has a certain tone and visual appeal that stand out from the other films.
I thought Rogue One was good. I think it's a little overrated imo but I like how it wasn't afraid to take risks and kill of some main characters. I also like how for the most part it respected star wars lore, and it had some great action. The characters were likeable as well, and the premise of it's plot was neat because it served to enrich A New Hope a little. I'm excited for what they will do in the upcoming Cassian Andor series. Solo was not as good but it was alright, even though it had some silly choices in it like how Han got his name, and the annoying droid that Lando owned.
Yeah, I agree
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 am
Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm
I'm not a huge movie person, but I love 80s movies! My favorite movie is Karate Kid :mrgreen:
Your's?
1984 or 2010? Do you watch Cobra Kai?
Loved Karate Kid. Especially I and II. Didn't care as much for III. I think Cobra Kai, is really well done. I got the free trial of youtube Red to binge the first season. My only issue is all the language. I realize they are throwing it in there because they can. They don't have the traditional filters and standards of broadcast TV. Not so much hearing it. It's not anything I haven't heard a zillion times. But, it's not a family friendly show. The storylines and character development was great in the first season. I loved the cliffhanger at the end with John Kreese appearing. It was a bummer that I had to watch it by myself.
1 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 pm

gman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 pm
zman7720000 wrote:
I'm not a huge movie person, but I love 80s movies! My favorite movie is Karate Kid :mrgreen:
Your's?
Loved Karate Kid. Especially I and II. Didn't care as much for III. I think Cobra Kai, is really well done. I got the free trial of youtube Red to binge the first season. My only issue is all the language. I realize they are throwing it in there because they can. They don't have the traditional filters and standards of broadcast TV. Not so much hearing it. It's not anything I haven't heard a zillion times. But, it's not a family friendly show. The storylines and character development was great in the first season. I loved the cliffhanger at the end with John Kreese appearing. It was a bummer that I had to watch it by myself.
Don't really care about seeing the other movies, and I don't plan on watching the show either; I think that movie should just be left untouched- it's a classic. But that's just me (ツ)_/¯
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 pm
gman wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Your's?
Don't really care about seeing the other movies, and I don't plan on watching the show either; I think that movie should just be left untouched- it's a classic. But that's just me (ツ)_/¯
The original is a classic, no way around it! However, Cobra Kai adds a depth and richness to the series through the nuance of perspective. It along with Stranger Things is my favorite right now.
2 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:16 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm
gman wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Your's?
The original is a classic, no way around it! However, Cobra Kai adds a depth and richness to the series through the nuance of perspective. It along with Stranger Things is my favorite right now.
STRANGER THINGS yesss! My mom won't let me watch it but I've seen some episodes my sisters watched and I know a lot about it it's so awesome ❤️
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:03 am

I think if I had to name one film as my all-time favorite, it would have to be 2001: A Space Odyssey, easily among the greatest science fiction movies ever made. Along with that is Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which is the closest Star Trek has ever come to being hard science fiction. I love the original Star Wars films -- that is Episodes 1-6; hate the Disney trash -- and I really like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings even though he strayed further and further from the source material as the series went on. I'm a big fan of the recent Planet of the Apes movies, too, especially Rise and War which fascinated me with their linguistically accurate depiction of basic sign language (the filmmakers did their homework!). Nightmare Before Christmas and Fantastic Mr. Fox are my favorite stop-motion animated films.

Other films and series I enjoy: Back to the Future, TRON and TRON Legacy (too bad we'll never get a third!), The Iron Giant... I could probably name a dozen more if I really thought about it.

Oh, and all my all-time favorite comedy films are by Laurel & Hardy! Almost everything they produced at Hal Roach Studios is pure gold.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:03 am
I think if I had to name one film as my all-time favorite, it would have to be 2001: A Space Odyssey, easily among the greatest science fiction movies ever made. Along with that is Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which is the closest Star Trek has ever come to being hard science fiction. I love the original Star Wars films -- that is Episodes 1-6; hate the Disney trash -- and I really like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings even though he strayed further and further from the source material as the series went on. I'm a big fan of the recent Planet of the Apes movies, too, especially Rise and War which fascinated me with their linguistically accurate depiction of basic sign language (the filmmakers did their homework!). Nightmare Before Christmas and Fantastic Mr. Fox are my favorite stop-motion animated films.

Other films and series I enjoy: Back to the Future, TRON and TRON Legacy (too bad we'll never get a third!), The Iron Giant... I could probably name a dozen more if I really thought about it.

Oh, and all my all-time favorite comedy films are by Laurel & Hardy! Almost everything they produced at Hal Roach Studios is pure gold.
I like many of these. SW, LotR, 2001, Back to the future... All amazing.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Wayne's World, Napoleon Dynamite, Groundhog Day, Nacho Libre, those are all some of my favorites too 8) :lol: :lol:
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:54 am

My late wife's all-time favorite film series was Indiana Jones. She liked them because you can watch them in any order, and start watching each film at any random point, and you'll still be entertained because the story really doesn't matter (each film can be summarized as "Indiana Jones hunts for an artifact and has adventures along the way", and that's really all you need to know to enjoy the films). She would even occasionally watch them with the foreign language track just for kicks!
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:54 am
My late wife's all-time favorite film series was Indiana Jones. She liked them because you can watch them in any order, and start watching each film at any random point, and you'll still be entertained because the story really doesn't matter (each film can be summarized as "Indiana Jones hunts for an artifact and has adventures along the way", and that's really all you need to know to enjoy the films). She would even occasionally watch them with the foreign language track just for kicks!
That's cool! And true : )
1 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:03 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
gman wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Your's?
On a fundamental level, the overarching story of the Miyagi-verse is the same as the Star Wars saga, as established forth by Lucas.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am

zman7720000 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:03 pm
zman7720000 wrote:
gman wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Your's?
On a fundamental level, the overarching story of the Miyagi-verse is the same as the Star Wars saga, as established forth by Lucas.
More formally, it's known as "The Hero's Journey" as described by Joseph Campbell in his book The Hero With A Thousand Faces in which he argues that every story and myth is based on a variation of "The Hero's Journey". In very broad terms, "A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man." It was from Campbell that George Lucas drew some of his inspiration for Star Wars.
1 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zman7720000 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Most definitely yes, but I was speaking more of the traditional greek tragedy. As you said however, that is part of what Campbell is pulling from in his analysis.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:32 pm

My new favorite is Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. 8)
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:26 pm

Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:32 pm
My new favorite is Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. 8)
Charade is a great movie. Those two were in many great movies in the 40's-60's. North by Northwest is another good one. And also someone said Napoleon dynamite and fantastic Mr fox, both great
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'