A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Re: Favorite bands

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:56 pm

He either believes or he doesn't, and I don't think he does. If he did, he wouldn't say things like he's a liberal and "inclusive" cause we all know what that implies
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:56 pm
He either believes or he doesn't, and I don't think he does. If he did, he wouldn't say things like he's a liberal and "inclusive" cause we all know what that implies
Well I think it's possible to be a liberal and a Christian, but it's just some of the things he's said
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:35 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 pm
Well I think it's possible to be a liberal and a Christian, but it's just some of the things he's said
I don't think it is
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:39 pm

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:35 pm
George Harrison wrote:
I don't think it is
Well everyone has different opinions. I'm not American but I think the republican party is more pro life, which is good
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:53 pm

George Harrison wrote:
I don't think it is
I think that party politics forces people to vote for platforms that we don't 100% agree with. I doubt anyone agrees with everything that a particular party supports. If someone does, I worry that there isn't much independent thought occurring.

In effect, we are ranking the sins of each party. All sin separates us from God, and Jesus said very interesting things about sin.

I think that you can be a faithful Christian and vote for a party that, on balance, you believe does more good and less harm than the other parties, while being firmly against certain things in the party.
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:27 am

I just meant believing in things that liberals do, in essence, being a liberal. Not literally being a liberal necessarily
1 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:13 pm

curt wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am
executioner wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:08 pm
I know DC Talk were in talks for a reunion of some sort but that fell through and it was said it had to do with Kevin Max. Also the AA gig fell through very quickly after one album due to him not wanting to follow closely with the Christian beliefs the group held. Its been widely known for a long time that he wasn't really a firm believer in the Scriptures. I mean just look at his cover page and you can see some symbols that go directly against the Word of God. Another item is he is a follower of reincarnation.
One should be rather cautious before making such statements. Here is an example of what he himself said:
Musically, it wasn’t something that I would have created by myself necessarily, but I think the final product was great and touched a lot of people. I have to say, Wes Campbell, the manager of the Newsboys, and Michael Tait, my old singing partner, had a lot to do with my coming back to the Christian Music industry. Without their desire to see me there and God’s leading in my life, I don’t know if I would have returned so soon. God really spoke to me in the years leading up to me singing on the Newsboys’ ‘God’s Not Dead’ and Audio Adrenaline, and chipped away at some of the confusion I had about my place within Christian music. https://decentchristiantalk.com/2014/12 ... kevin-max/
This gives me the impression that there is a lot more to the story.

If you turn history back a few decades (and probably still to a very limited extent) Petra were blamed for playing the Devil's music. There has been all sorts of dirty rumours about their private lives and the like. He may not believe exactly what you believe or interpret exactly like you interpret. Claiming he is not a firm believer in the Scriptures based should be given a second thought.
His quote really doesn't confirm anything other than he was out of the CCM scene and came back into somewhat for a time and was in reality just one quote; his twitter feed going back sometime clearly shows he really feels the Bible is not the final authority to life. IMO he seems to be all over the spectrum with his beliefs which says everything. He seems to have good intentions and be a great giving person but there are a lot of people in this world going to Hell thinking and believing the same way. I know some people that " believe in God" or believe there is a God but are no closer to getting in Heaven than some one like Hitler or most the evil doers of this world.
1 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:20 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:53 pm
George Harrison wrote:
I don't think it is
I think that party politics forces people to vote for platforms that we don't 100% agree with. I doubt anyone agrees with everything that a particular party supports. If someone does, I worry that there isn't much independent thought occurring.

In effect, we are ranking the sins of each party. All sin separates us from God, and Jesus said very interesting things about sin.

I think that you can be a faithful Christian and vote for a party that, on balance, you believe does more good and less harm than the other parties, while being firmly against certain things in the party.
I would say most of the time I vote Republican and I vote first and foremost with what my faith is according to the Bible; there are times in the past I decided not to vote in certain elections due to the fact nobody in the election really fit the Christian mold I needed to see in order to support anyone. I don't vote for the lesser of two evils agenda.
1 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:45 am

executioner wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:20 pm
sickasadog wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:53 pm
George Harrison wrote:
I don't think it is

I would say most of the time I vote Republican and I vote first and foremost with what my faith is according to the Bible; there are times in the past I decided not to vote in certain elections due to the fact nobody in the election really fit the Christian mold I needed to see in order to support anyone. I don't vote for the lesser of two evils agenda.
My dad voted Republican but that was because Minnesota didn't include the Constitutional party.
0 x

brenthandy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brenthandy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:38 pm

I have a hard time wrapping the flag or a party affiliation around the cross and selling it with Christianity.

We don't REALLY know what the majority of chameleon politicians are because they change with the wind for votes. The names remain the same but party positions and politics change.

You can be a liberal and be a born again Christian. You can be conservative and be lost. One would have to be naive and not know too many people to think liberals can't be Christians. I know plenty and they do more to support missions and aid programs than most, myself included. It's pretty convicting. Now, do they agree that abortion should be legalized, etc, etc? No.

All I know is we should not walk in the counsel of the wicked, stand in the ways of evil, or sit with the scornful. If I perceive a politician is wicked, I should block them, their works, etc with my votes.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm

brenthandy wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:38 pm
I have a hard time wrapping the flag or a party affiliation around the cross and selling it with Christianity.

We don't REALLY know what the majority of chameleon politicians are because they change with the wind for votes. The names remain the same but party positions and politics change.

You can be a liberal and be a born again Christian. You can be conservative and be lost. One would have to be naive and not know too many people to think liberals can't be Christians. I know plenty and they do more to support missions and aid programs than most, myself included. It's pretty convicting. Now, do they agree that abortion should be legalized, etc, etc? No.

All I know is we should not walk in the counsel of the wicked, stand in the ways of evil, or sit with the scornful. If I perceive a politician is wicked, I should block them, their works, etc with my votes.
My thoughts precisely
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:42 pm

curt wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am
executioner wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:08 pm
I know DC Talk were in talks for a reunion of some sort but that fell through and it was said it had to do with Kevin Max. Also the AA gig fell through very quickly after one album due to him not wanting to follow closely with the Christian beliefs the group held. Its been widely known for a long time that he wasn't really a firm believer in the Scriptures. I mean just look at his cover page and you can see some symbols that go directly against the Word of God. Another item is he is a follower of reincarnation.
One should be rather cautious before making such statements. Here is an example of what he himself said:
Musically, it wasn’t something that I would have created by myself necessarily, but I think the final product was great and touched a lot of people. I have to say, Wes Campbell, the manager of the Newsboys, and Michael Tait, my old singing partner, had a lot to do with my coming back to the Christian Music industry. Without their desire to see me there and God’s leading in my life, I don’t know if I would have returned so soon. God really spoke to me in the years leading up to me singing on the Newsboys’ ‘God’s Not Dead’ and Audio Adrenaline, and chipped away at some of the confusion I had about my place within Christian music. https://decentchristiantalk.com/2014/12 ... kevin-max/
This gives me the impression that there is a lot more to the story.

If you turn history back a few decades (and probably still to a very limited extent) Petra were blamed for playing the Devil's music. There has been all sorts of dirty rumours about their private lives and the like. He may not believe exactly what you believe or interpret exactly like you interpret. Claiming he is not a firm believer in the Scriptures based should be given a second thought.
I'm not sure what that quote from Kevin Max is supposed to prove. I could picture a Mormon, or a Jehovah's Witness, or a deist making the exact same statement. Reading the rest of his Twitter page shows me someone who appears to be angry and confused. One post I came across seemed to suggest that we shouldn't read condemnation of abortion and homosexuality in the Bible (like many liberal Christians, he seems to prefer scripture about God's love over scripture about God's wrath towards sinners), and he is generally very critical of evangelical Christianity, showing a disdain for those who support President Trump while he hypocritically fawns over Barack Obama. You reference Petra and how the church was critical of their music, but the disconnect with Kevin does not seem to be because the church doesn't like his music but because he doesn't like the church.

I'm not necessarily saying he's not a Christian, but he does seem to be one those who is at odds with his own faith.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:55 am
I see what you mean. I don't think you can really be a "leftist" Christian though. I know that lefts and rights are different in different countries (what is a left in America I think is a right other places) but I mean that you can't follow the world and call it Christianity. That I'm-a-world's-hippie-yet-still-a-Jesus-freak is a load of hooey.
It's not that "left" and "right" are opposites in the United States versus other countries, it's that politically and socially, most of the world is to the left of the US, so what we consider liberal, or even radical liberalism is considered moderate in, say, Europe, or New Zealand.

As for whether or not someone can be a "leftist" and a Christian, of course they can, but I think it's an uncomfortable fit because a lot of what liberals espouse is at odds with the Bible and orthodox Christian beliefs.
0 x

John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by John Boy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:41 pm

Petra
Journey
Toto
Restless Heart
Rush
Whiteheart
Giant
Bonham
Triumph
Casting Crowns
Third Day
Huey Lewis & the News
Kool & the Gang
Diamond Rio
Rascal Flatts
Winger (seriously)
Alan Parsons Project
Pink Floyd (but only Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell)
Mr. Mister
The Outfield

The Beatles of course
4 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 pm

John Boy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:41 pm
Winger (seriously)
I always liked Winger! Out of the blue, I had Madeleine running through my head just yesterday, and I haven't heard that song in a long time.
0 x