Christianity & Smoking

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Kaiser
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kaiser » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:59 pm

The problem with todays society as a "Whole" is we tend to worry about what everyone else is doing instead of asking ourselves what would Jesus do. Regardless if "We" think is it wrong or right the question should always be are we pleasing Christ with our actions.
0 x

ezequiel
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ezequiel » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Here needed more studys of Keith Green, i remember one called, What wrong with the gospel...
Hahahaha (is the only that i can say in spanish)
0 x

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-up Call
Pethead since: 1999

Post by adrinux » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:41 pm

I was listening to "what would Jesus do", from Big tent revival as I readed Kaiser's reply...

Keith Green is the man!!! I download some documentary about him on youtube.

ANd forgive this poor guy grown up in the Assembly of God church,
I'm trying to get out of every preconception... may take quite a long time. :wink:
0 x
To learn recursivity, first, you need to learn recursivity.
Para aprender recursividade, primeiro, tem que aprender recursividade.

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

well...

Post by gman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Well, I meant he was strong in a lot of ways. He was active in the church, played in a christian band, had bible studys at his house. The smoking was the one thing he hadn't turned over. So, perhaps he wasn't 100% committed, but he wasn't weak either. He struggled with that issue much like most Christians who have something they struggle with. He was using the smoking to calm him down, change his mood, relax, relieve stress, etc. I personally think the bible instructs us how we can do those with God's help and without continued dependence on smoking, drinking, medicine, ir whatever vice one might run to.

GMan
0 x

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:22 pm

This is not a thread that we should be continuing IMO.

If the OP is concerned about a brother's walk then he should go to him.

Questioning ANYONE'S salvation is not for us to do, ever. We are told in the New Testament that when it comes to our "witness" then we should go to one another privatley and in love.

But this is neither. If Lichens isn't going out doing evangelical concerts then there is not call to question his witness.

Aside from that, we are way too caught up in setting the rules of "Christian Living" for others. I think it is enough of a challenge for all of us to keep our own lives where they need to be.

Let's practice the love of Christ on others, including how we talk about others on this board.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Jonathan wrote:I had a glass of wine t'other day at dinner.

I'll be tendering my resignation with the worship band at church today.
I wonder what percentage of Christian men would be out for their thought life or not keeping their hands off of themselves?

Smoking is a bad habit. It is really stupid. Only morons do it. The dumbest people on the planet really. Read the package. They tell you that it kills on the package. Do you KNOW what's IN them? Yuck.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:30 pm

We'd be in very deep trouble if our salvation or being a Christian depended on us or our actions, and if we could be saved through our own efforts, there wouldn't have been any reason for Jesus to die.

Jesus loves the idiots who smoke too. :wink:
0 x

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-up Call
Pethead since: 1999

Post by adrinux » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:53 pm

yeah, Jesus loves them and wants to free them from their vices as well as ours
0 x
To learn recursivity, first, you need to learn recursivity.
Para aprender recursividade, primeiro, tem que aprender recursividade.

Mitch
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Mitch » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:01 pm

brent wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I had a glass of wine t'other day at dinner.

I'll be tendering my resignation with the worship band at church today.
I wonder what percentage of Christian men would be out for their thought life or not keeping their hands off of themselves?

Smoking is a bad habit. It is really stupid. Only morons do it. The dumbest people on the planet really. Read the package. They tell you that it kills on the package. Do you KNOW what's IN them? Yuck.
Brent I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's the most Christian way to say it.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:11 pm

There is nothing wrong with what I said. It is not politically correct. I am not politically correct. Those words are not dirty words. They are all in Websters.

Stupid:
1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.

Moron:
1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

Dumb:

1. lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted.

Cigarettes include:
cetone
That�s the stuff used as a solvent to remove nail varnish.

Ammonia
Ammonia speeds up the delivery of the nicotine. It freebases the nicotine in the same way as a crack user takes cocaine.

Tar
Tar is deposited into the lungs every time a person inhales. Smoking 20 or more cigarettes a day deposits 1 to 1.5 pounds into the lungs every year

Benzene
Used as a solvent in fuel & dyes. Known to cause cancer.

Cadmium
Used to make batteries, cadmium is known to cause kidney damage. It increases the risk of developing lung cancer.

Carbon monoxide: This is the same chemical pushed out by cars. It prevents the blood carrying oxygen around the body. A heavy smoker�s ability to carry oxygen around the body is reduced by up to 15%.

Hydrogen Cyanide: Yet another gas that reduces the body�s ability to carry oxygen around the body.

Pyridine: Pyridine is a central nervous system depressant that boosts the effect of smoking.

Acacia gum, Acetal, Acetanisole, Acetic acid and/or its potassium and sodium salts, Acetoin, Acetone, Acetophenone, 6 Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane, Acetyl methyl cellulose, 2 Acetyl pyrazine, 2 Acetyl pyridine, 3 Acetyl pyridine, Alga resinoid, Allspice extract, oleoresin and oil, Allspice leaf oil, Allura Red, Allyl hexanoate, Almond oil, Aluminium acetate, Aluminium carbonate, Aluminium citrate, Aluminium lactate, Aluminium oxide, Aluminium phosphate, Aluminium tartrate, Aluminium trihydroxide, Aluminosilicates, Amber oil, Ambergris extract, Ambrette seed oil and absolute, Ambrox, Ammonium acetate, Ammonium carbonate, Ammonium chloride, Ammonium citrate, Ammonium dihydrogen phosphate, Ammonium hydroxide, Ammonium lactate, Ammonium sulphate, Ammonium tartrate, +Amyl acetate, Amyl alcohol, +Amyl benzoate, +Amyl butyrate, alpha Amyl cinnamaldehyde, +Amyl formate, +Amyl hexanoate, +Amyl isovalerate, +Amyl octanoate, +Amyl phenylacetate, +Amyl salicylate, +Amyl valerate, trans Anethole, Angelica root extract and oil, Anise and oil, Anisole, para Anisyl acetate, para Anisyl alcohol, Arachis oil, Ascorbic acid, Azorubin, Balsam oil, Bay leaf, oil and sweet oil, Beech tar extract, Bentonite, Benzaldehyde, Benzoic acid and/or its potassium and sodium salts, Benzoin, Benzoin resinoid, Benzyl acetate, Benzyl alcohol, Benzyl benzoate, Benzyl butyrate, Benzyl cinnamate, Benzyl formate, Benzyl isobutyrate, Benzyl phenylacetate, Benzyl propionate, Bergamot oil, Boric acid and/or its potassium or sodium salts, Bornyl acetate, , *Brilliant Black BN, Brilliant Blue FCF, Butyl acetate, Butyl butyrate, 1,3, Butylene glycol, Butyl phenyl acetate, para tert Butyl pyridine, Butyric acid, Cadinene single or mixed isomers, Cajeput oil, Calcium acetate, Calcium carbonate, Calcium chloride, Calcium citrate, Calcium hydroxide, Calcium lactate, Calcium phosphate1 (mono, di or tri ), Calcium tartrate, Camphene, d Camphor, Camphor oil2 (safrole free), Caramel1 obtained wholly by heating a sugar solution with or without a small amount of acid, alkali or alkali carbonate, Caraway oil, Carbon dioxide, Carboxy methyl cellulose and its sodium salt, Cardamon oleoresin, extract, oil, seed oil and powder, Carob bean extract, Carrot seed oil, Carvacrol, 4 Carvomenthenol, Carvone, beta Caryophyllene, Caryophyllene alcohol, Caryophyllene oxide, Cascarilla oil, bark oil and extract, Cassia buds, bark oil and extract, Cassia extract, Castor oil, Castoreum extract and absolute, Cedar leaf oil, Cedarwood oil, Cedrol ........and there's more....
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:39 am

Woah... impressive

:roll:
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Smoking is a stupid choice. That doesn't mean that smokers are stupid people. We all make stupid choices from time to time. Thankfully, God frees us to make wise choices, if we'll let him.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

That pretty much sums it up, js.

Some people just make dumb choices or behave like idiots on a more consistent basis than others. :wink:
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:46 pm

js3971 wrote:Smoking is a stupid choice. That doesn't mean that smokers are stupid people.
Yes it does.

If you tell someone, "Hey, if you do this you will die," and they do it anyway...for 50 odd years (in the case of my relatives) then YES YOU ARE STUPID, because you are living the meaning of the word 10 to 12 times per day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. It is a decision made over and over and over again, inspite of what is common knowledge and good science/medicine. That's pretty pop theology to say, "A person who sins is not a sinner. A person who murders is not a murderer." That's what it is. It is suicide.
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:59 pm

I'm sorry you have stupid relatives.
0 x