adrinux
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-up Call
Pethead since: 1999

Christianity & Smoking

Post by adrinux » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:19 am

I started looking for information about him on web to see how he is doing
and ended up noticing that he is not a christian... well, I guess so, cause I saw him smoking on a video of his.
his myspace is http://www.myspace.com/davelichens
here is the link of the video where he smokes http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... affc50ab87

does anyone have any further information about him?
0 x
To learn recursivity, first, you need to learn recursivity.
Para aprender recursividade, primeiro, tem que aprender recursividade.

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: David Lichens is not a christian anymore?

Post by calicowriter » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:37 am

adrinux wrote:I started looking for information about him on web to see how he is doing
and ended up noticing that he is not a christian... well, I guess so, cause I saw him smoking on a video of his.
his myspace is http://www.myspace.com/davelichens
here is the link of the video where he smokes http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... affc50ab87

does anyone have any further information about him?
Depends on what you call a "Christian."

I don't think smoking disqualifes you from being a Christian. If so, this is a recent ruling as in the 50's and 60's (and probably before) practically everyone smoked.

His music and lifestyle might look like he has turned his back on Christianity, but then, if you are one of the ones who believes that "once saved, always saved" then who knows? It would be necessary to look into his heart, and as far as I know, none of us has that ability.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adrinux » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:08 am

well, my guess is: once you're a christian you won't kill yourself by smoking and things like that.

Does his music speaks about God?
I don't know his heart but christians are supposed to shine the face of Christ in everything including his acts...
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:39 am

Bridget pretty much nailed it. God is more interested in the heart than in outward appearance, and if your heart is right your behavior will adjust accordingly. I don't think something like smoking means you're not a Christian, and the majority of us probably haven't spent time talking to David face to face. I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to do something that's bad for them too, but it happens. There are plenty of people who go to church every Sunday and don't smoke who aren't following the Bible.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Sillly

Post by trodLAN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:46 am

How dare you to question his faith, adrinux! This is gossip! Smoking? lol
I think he is doing great music, and he has a nice voice too!
I would love to hear the rest of his album! He is a great person and he doesn't deserve this kind of slander!
If you are curious, write and ask him!
Don't judge him in any cases!
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

davealward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by davealward » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Trodlan, i agree with you.

If smoking disqualifies you from heaven, what about sunday shopping, reading Maxim, and buying a second tv instead of giving to the poor?
0 x
Why don't you look into Jesus, He's got the answer!

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adrinux » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:27 pm

man, nao you drove me confused :?
I think I'll have a cigarette :lol:

so... I still really think that smoking does not fit to a christian behavior.
And yes, you can go to church every sunday and keep on doing your old things.

I'm not judging him, that's why I asked whether he is a christian or not.
But I confess that I have a preconception against smoking christians...
maybe I'm wrog, God help me take out every preconception...
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

well...

Post by gman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Certainly it doesn't disqualify you from heaven, or make you any less of a believer. To me it's a spiritual growth issue. I knew someone who was a pretty strong Christian, but had smoked for years. For him it was one vice he had that he had trouble giving up. Not to pass judgment on anyone else. It's just my opinion that reliance on God and using natural means he's given us can get us through everyday stress, one doesn't need to have a smoke to unwind. Again, just my opinion. I realize it's not always that simple.

GMan
0 x

corolla1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by corolla1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:04 pm

adrinux wrote:man, nao you drove me confused :?
I think I'll have a cigarette :lol:

so... I still really think that smoking does not fit to a christian behavior.
And yes, you can go to church every sunday and keep on doing your old things.

I'm not judging him, that's why I asked whether he is a christian or not.
But I confess that I have a preconception against smoking christians...
maybe I'm wrog, God help me take out every preconception...
smoking wouldn't make him a non-christian, but i think we would need to observe his life in general before making an observation of that sort. if his theology and/or lifestyle is completely off then, i would question his salvation. i don't know where he's at with the Lord. Hopefully he's saved.
0 x

ezequiel
Pethead
Pethead

Im totally agree with u men...

Post by ezequiel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 am

Im agree with u adrinux, but i want to make an interview with him to www.petramasalladelafe.com.ar and ask all, from petra, now, future, etc...
0 x

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adrinux » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:13 pm

Oh, it'd be great.

folks here didnt get what I meant, I was just wondering how he is on these days.
Yeah, I did ask if he is still a christian because he was smoking I think I shoudnt have named the topic with this question...

anyhow...

Are you going to ask him through e-mail?
0 x

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead

Re: well...

Post by adrinux » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:49 pm

gman wrote:Certainly it doesn't disqualify you from heaven, or make you any less of a believer. To me it's a spiritual growth issue. I knew someone who was a pretty strong Christian, but had smoked for years. For him it was one vice he had that he had trouble giving up.

GMan
How can he be a strong christian and have trouble giving up a vice at the same time?

If you have trouble giving up somthing you are weak, you cannot be weak and strong
at the same time.

I'm not saying that I'm strong or weak, but if I am strong, I'm strong; If I'm weak, I'm weak
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35 am

I had a glass of wine t'other day at dinner.

I'll be tendering my resignation with the worship band at church today.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: well...

Post by calicowriter » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:46 am

adrinux wrote:
gman wrote:Certainly it doesn't disqualify you from heaven, or make you any less of a believer. To me it's a spiritual growth issue. I knew someone who was a pretty strong Christian, but had smoked for years. For him it was one vice he had that he had trouble giving up.

GMan
How can he be a strong christian and have trouble giving up a vice at the same time?

If you have trouble giving up somthing you are weak, you cannot be weak and strong
at the same time.

I'm not saying that I'm strong or weak, but if I am strong, I'm strong; If I'm weak, I'm weak
That's what is wrong with the church today -- too concerned with the externals. Is smoking good for you? Of course not, but people didn't know that 30 years ago. So did smokers only become weak sinners after the surgeon general decided to put warnings on cigarettes? And where did most Protestants get the notion that ALL alcohol is evil? Even Jesus drank wine with dinner. Yes, the Bible says we are not to become DRUNK with wine. But it does not prohibit it. Now Pat Robertson and Joyce Meyer and all the other TV preachers have decided that a good Christian must be slim and fit and if you aren't model thin you are weak and unusable in God's kingdom.

The church (especially in the US), just like the secular world, is obsessed with youth and beauty and fads. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that those who are broken and sick come to the church to be healed -- on the inside. To learn to love ourselves as God loves us, and let HIM change us as He sees fit. God may move some folks to lose weight or give up alcohol so they can do what He has planned. But perhaps what God has planned for some doesn't require an athelete's body. Moderation seems to be an obsolete term. Today it is all or nothing.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adrinux » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 pm

It's not olny in USA that outside people see a christian as a non-smoking and non-drinking person. Here, a non christian one will shock if he sees a christian drinking or smoking...

But that's not the point...

in the last post I didnt mean that smoking is bad and takes you to hell.
I meant that having vices takes aways your free-will.
If you have a vice, even if you dont want to do that, you'll end up doing, so you are not free.

People have vices to run away from their troubles and have some rest.
but that's another discution, I dont know if he is addicted on smoking
0 x