Christianity & Smoking

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:28 pm

danielaussie,
How did you manage to quit smoking? For how long did you smoke? How did your understanding of Jesus' teachings on how his followers should live impact this part of your life? You mentioned that it was an addiction for you - do you still struggle with it?
I'm just curious. As a non-smoker, I can't say I've struggled with that particular addiction, but I do know something about addiction in general. If you're comfortable sharing about this, I'd like to know how your own journey has unfolded with regard to your struggle in this area.
Thanks
Andy from Indiana
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:29 pm

danielaussie,
sorry for the extra post - one more thing I meant to ask you. Do you have suggestions re: how a believer should best and most effectively approach a loved one (who smokes) about his concern for that person's well beling?
Andy from Indiana
0 x

lucasmcgraw
Pethead
Pethead

Post by lucasmcgraw » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:35 am

Not trying to make light of the situation, but...

Just because you smoke doesn't mean you are going to Hell. It just smells like you have been there.

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are! :D
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 am

This whole subject really disturbs me. And I'll tell you why.

Those of you who know me are aware of the fact that I am very overweight. Have been all of my life. I know this is an area of weakness for me, and believe me, I would love to change that. I have prayed for God to take away my appetite, to heal my knees so I could be more active, to speed up my metabolism, etc. There have been times of success. But let me ask you something. Suppose I WERE in the process of losing weight, and had been for over a year, but was still considered obese. By what many of you say, you would look at me and dismiss me as weak, stupid, and unable to be a witness for Christ.

Another example. I have a friend who lives in Houston who is one of the finest examples of a follower of Christ I've ever known. She used to be a 2 pack a day smoker. Now, she smokes 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. She says she thinks that one day she'll just realize she doesn't want them anymore. But in the meantime, if some of you saw her smoking a cig, you'd dismiss her as well. And that would be a big mistake.

My point has been that we need to be gentle with one another, encouraging, but not condemning. Some people's weakness may be readily apparent (smoking, overeating), but some are not. Some folks may look good but may be leading lives filled with sexual sins, lies, or greed.

I have been very disillusioned with the evangelical churches lately. It seems all they are concerned about is diets and supplements. Whatever happened to "giving it to God" and letting God change you from the inside, that we can do nothing apart from God. Yet here are all these preachers (Pat Robertson, Joyce Meyer, James Robison, and even Charles Stanley) pitching diets and natural supplements and remedies. I think it is really sad that you can't get churches to agree on the wrongness of homosexuality or promiscuity, but it's OK, even fashionable to condemn fat people.

Just wondering.....when John and Bob have been carrying around excess weight, were they less effective witnesses for Christ?
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:03 am

Too true Bridget. Our society is way too focused on outward appearance, and while the way one behaves can be a good indication of where they're at, you can only get a limited take at best by that, and that tends to be at least partly based on personal opinion or your own experiences. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that outward appearance is what gets you to Heaven or makes you a Christian. There are plenty of people who "look good" but are not following Jesus as you pointed out.

Look at it this way: If people think less of you because you are overweight, it's pretty sad that they would be so shallow or whatever that they can't take time to get to know the wonderful person inside. :)
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

well...

Post by gman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:35 pm

yeah, I think the evangelicals who are pushing diets, supplements, and all that, are barking up the wrong tree. I'm convinced that the secret really is to eat less; to the point of reducing your daily calorie count low enough that you burn more than you take in. You could do that and still eat junk, but that wouldn't be the best choice. A guy I listen to on the radio has followed this approach along with cutting out some of the junky and fatty stuff he used to eat, and he's lost over 100 pounds in less than 2 years. He eats out quite a bit. He's a big supporter of Applebee's. He chooses to pick stuff from their wieght watcher's menu and/or to choose something else but only eat half of it. He was well over 300 lbs, maybe pushing 400. He made the choice to chage the way he eats forever, and it's working quite well.
I get a kick out of the subway commercials. You can certainly lose weight eating subway, or anything else. But, if you're a fat head like me, you order a footlong sub and pile it high with toppings, which doesn't help your calorie count at all.

GMan
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:32 pm

I have not personally condemned anyone to hell for smoking. And I have offered the suggestion on this messageboard in the past that "some sins and weaknesses are more visible than others" but that such visibility doesn't necessarily make them worse. I DO think a valid point can be made that certain very visible negative behaviors should be avoided exactly because they are so visible (and not necessarily because they are inherently sinful). E.g., the pastors of my church have made it a policy that they will not partake in the consumption of alcohol, not because they believe to do so is automatically sinful but because they believe it may be setting a bad example (stumbling block) for others who may not be able to apply the necessary self-control to avoid the potential devestation alcolhol addiction can bring. This is scriptural. I respect this stance.

Moreover, I have stated that I understand something about additcions and have admiration for those who have managed to find victory to one degree or another over a challenge of this sort. I DO think we should work on combatting our weaknesses - I respect the brother who is struggling and sincerely seeking guidance and help to overcome a sinful habit. It's the one who gives up (or who rationalizes a deliberate sinful habit as "part of my personality" or "part of my genetic make-up") that is in the gravest danger, I suspect. Or what about the one who makes no effort because he cannot, or will not, recognize the damage the sinful habit is doing?

No offense to others who recently posted (presumably in response to earlier posts), but I am reposting mainly because I am hopeful that my last posted questions to danielaussie do not end up getting "burried" beneath the recent string of posts that are not particularly closely related to my questions to him.

danielaussie, if you aren't comfortable sharing on this topic, I'll understand fully. In fact, I'll go ahead and make this my last post about this and will take your subsequent nonresponse as a decision not to reply in this public forum.

Godspeed either way, and I wish you continued success in this area!
Andy from Indiana
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Oh, one more thing...
I don't recall having ever "written off" a fellow believer because they smoke. If someone else has posted something to the effect that they automatically do so, I have not recognized such a sentiment in any post in this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point. It seems there are some folks who are very sensitive on this issue, and who are somewhat defensive. Such attitudes can lead some to infer sentiments that simply aren't there, but if I'm wrong I'll be happy to acknowledge it with proper evidence.
ANdy from Indiana
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Tutor23, I guess the best way to approach the subject with someone you care about is tell them the facts about smoking, tell them that you don�t like the fact that they smoke also let them know that you love them and don�t want them to die from a premature death.

Apart from that I haven�t got a clue; I guess it something that a person needs to do themselves, but I know for me people were concerned about it.

There used to be a saying in Australia, �only a Galah would suck tar�

People who suffer from obesity, like has been said can�t always help there weight issues due to genetic problems, family traits and sometimes like smoking people just abuse their body with the wrong foods, or just way to much food.

At the end of the day, Fat or Skinny, Tall or Short, Black or White. Smoker or Non Smoker. Heaven awaits us. Our bodies are �Dust in the Wind � Kansas�

I am moving this thread to off the topic.
0 x