Starting a dialog with the Corrupt Christian Music webmaster

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
misterbob
Pethead
Pethead

Starting a dialog with the Corrupt Christian Music webmaster

Post by misterbob » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:26 pm

I have elected to attempt a dialog with these folks. I am so very surprised at their statement about Petra. It just makes no sense to me.

This is a private website run by a woman named Jenelle Duldulao out of Saratoga, California. I did not yet have her name at the time of my e-mail. Here is what I sent:
Good evening (or morning as the case may be),

As I stated in my subject line, I would like to open a dialog with you. The artist in question is Petra.

Here are my thoughts on this potential dialog.

1. We are probably going to disagree in many areas here. Keeping a civil tone is of the utmost importance for both of us.
2. Along the same "respect" line, I hope that you will be respectful of my beliefs as a Christian in the same manner that you will expect me to be the same towards your beliefs.
3. At the end of our dialog, we may not be swayed in either direction. Actually, swaying you or being swayed by you is not what I have in mind. I simply am very interested in your thoughts on Petra as you elaborate on your short statements from your site.

One other note of courtesy. In order to discuss Petra with you, I will be sharing your comments with fellow Christians who have interest in Petra and its members. In fact, there is a fair likelihood that I could end up sharing our discussions with members of the band themselves as their schedules permit. Throughout these times of sharing, I will fully refrain from sharing any information that you may deem to be personal or private in nature. I sincerely hope that you will afford me the same courtesy as you share our discussions with your staff and fellow believers.

If this is all OK with you, kindly read on. If this is OK but your schedule does not permit a full dialog, I will be happy to do this in the future. If, on the other hand, you would rather not bother sharing your beliefs with me, I certainly can respect that too!

The door is open...I hope you will accept my invitation.

Here is where I begin...
I found a great deal of interesting thoughts throughout the segments of your site that I reviewed tonight. While I certainly don't agree with some of it, I also saw some areas that were worth discussing.

I was, however, greatly surprised by your description of Petra. I will share the quote as found on your Taitband page next to Lonnie Chapin's background.

"Petra a so-called "Christian" band that is full of compromise. Influenced by the world and giving a deluded gospel, they stand guilty according to the Scriptures for their mingling with the world and not remaining separate."

The best place for me to start is with your belief that the band shares a "deluded gospel." Please tell me: (a) why you personally believe this and (b) what facts you are willing to share in order to document these beliefs.

I look forward to your reply in the coming hours.

Until then...enjoy your walk in the Light!

Respectfully submitted...
Bob Laird
Age 33
Elkton, Maryland
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Well...

Post by Shell » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:49 pm

I admire you for trying to have a reasonable discussion with them, but it was my impression they weren't open to that. Good luck, I hope the Lord will open some doors here. :)
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Good Luck

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:51 am

I really wish you good luck... or actually, Holy Spirit inspiration and intervention... on this one. People like that generally seem to have their minds pretty much made up. I doubt if you can convince her, but you might be able to at least figure out what her beef is.

My guess is that she doesn't like the song "God Gave Rock & Roll To You." Although that was last recorded about a billion years ago with an entirely different band except for Bob, it seems to be the one Petra song that people with that line of thought like to focus on.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

onnyII
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onnyII » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:37 am

i read that and don't believe it.... :shock:
0 x
Yeap.. It Was Me....

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

CCM

Post by Enosh » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:42 am

YEah it's me! Coming out of the shadows to comment on something.

There is allot of junk on that website, including the comments about Petra. But on the other hand, there is allot of truth on that website as well. It's too bad that they are harping on the things that don't really matter, because it makes them loose credibility for the things that are true. Christian musicians have gotten so far away from what our calling is that it is past sad to just plain scary. That site really made me think about what it means to be a (Christian Musician) Allot of the points that were made on that site are dead on. Definately food for thought. I think a dialog with them is a great idea. More Power to Ya!

Enosh
0 x

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

CCM

Post by Enosh » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:51 am

YEah it's me! Coming out of the shadows to comment on something.

There is allot of junk on that website, including the comments about Petra. But on the other hand, there is allot of truth on that website as well. It's too bad that they are harping on the things that don't really matter, because it makes them loose credibility for the things that are true. Christian musicians have gotten so far away from what our calling is that it is past sad to just plain scary. That site really made me think about what it means to be a (Christian Musician) Allot of the points that were made on that site are dead on. Definately food for thought. I think a dialog with them is a great idea. More Power to Ya!

Enosh
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:48 am

Enosh, so nice to see you. :D It's been awhile. :) Hope everything is going well. 8)

It is one thing to encourage someone to be true to their calling and not be distracted by all the other stuff, but I really saw a lot of condemnation there. I don't think a lot of what is said there is out of concern. I saw a lot of stuff that had been picked up in articles, and you can only get a limited take from what you read in articles at best.
0 x

theTRu
Pethead
Pethead

Post by theTRu » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:38 pm

dialoguing with the representatives of that site is nothing more than a chasing after the wind...

peace...
love...
bdg...
0 x
[url=http://www.TRudATmusic.com]peep the TRu[/url]

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:30 pm

I was, however, greatly surprised by your description of Petra. I will share the quote as found on your Taitband page next to Lonnie Chapin's background.

"Petra a so-called "Christian" band that is full of compromise. Influenced by the world and giving a deluded gospel, they stand guilty according to the Scriptures for their mingling with the world and not remaining separate."
I find it hilarious that the worst thing they could say about Lonnie was that he "worked with Petra for 5 years".
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:54 pm

He. Yeah, that is a hoot. :D They knock the Passion too, because Mel was involved in it. What, they think God isn't capable of using Mel? They should be glad there's a movie about Jesus out there.
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

HOLA ENOSH

Post by epdc » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:03 pm

glad to know that you didnp`t feel so proud of yourself since you are part of Petra now (LOLOL) and came to post here like a "normal" person hehehehe :wink: :P

I think Mr. Bob that is just a waste of time. If you wanna defend Petra`s ministry and make an statement so other people can also read the other point of view and not to take the other statement like "THE TRUE" I think is fine but I so hope you won`t start a discussion with the hope of convincing the other part.
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Elo's right. MisterBob is wasting his time. People like who he's trying to dialogue with are irrational. Anybody can throw riduculous, unsupported statements out there. Unfortunately, there are always the foolish few who believe them.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:00 am

Well.......at any rate. Let us know what you find out.
obviously if this guy is irrational he must be itching pretty bad.... :shock:
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Clarify

Post by Enosh » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:45 am

Hey,

I just wanted to clarify what I was saying. I don't support this website or think that they are correct in their beliefs. I just think that Christian artists should be held to a higher standard. Things like the way Christian labels have been taken over by secular labels, and the way we present ourselves as christians should be thought about.

I believe christian artists have a responsibility to God to mind their actions and be responsible. Example: Their is a fine line between acknowledging the fact that you have been inspired musically by a secular artist,, and supporting that artist and their actions. By this you open yourself up to this kind of questioning. Those who respect you as a christian can learn from an example you're even unwittingly setting and think it is ok to listen recreationally to the filth that saturates our airwaves. There is allot of junk that christians should not support or listen to, even if it is popular.

I know that the articles quoted on that site can be percieved in different ways, but some of the quotes by some artists that I have read or heard myself (apart from this site) have been direct and very questionable. Many times we as Petra Fans have discussed the push to be like the world in Christian music. Where I agree with an earlier statement about the fact that we try to be relevant to whats going on so we obviously have to know what's going on in that relm, I wish more and more that artists would take Christ with them as they cross over instead of watering down the message so that it will be played on secular stations. We should strive to make music so good that secular stations play it because there is demand. ie: I can only imagine by Mercy Me.

None of us are perfect, I understand that. But daily in my life I strive to be perfect like the Word says. Playing with John I was able to confirm what I've believed for many years listening to Petra. John Schlitt is a genuine Christian. He loves God, and is an excellant example of how a christian artist should present themselves to the world. That is not to say that he is without flaws, but that he is aware of his position of responsibility in the body of Christ and conducts himself accordingly. As I look at myself as an artist on a smaller level, I have learned to think about my responses before I answer. I am a christian before everything else.

Nothing I'm sure that everyone doesn't know has thought of before. But my two cents none the less. All this to say I don't agree with the site and felt like my last post may have given that opinion.

P.s. No ELO, I don't think I'm too cool to post here. I just haven't had time to do so. I still love you all.

Enosh
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

Enosh

Post by epdc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:40 am

I was kidding :lol: and we love you too!!!!!
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios