THE CHURCH THREAD

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

THE CHURCH THREAD

Post by petrafreak2009 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Thought this would be a good way for each us who go to church to brag on our pastors and church, and tell when and where they go for revivals, and how to order CD's and DVD's of your churches services. Also, you can announce special events such as someone coming to speak at your church or trips that a certain group is taking.
0 x
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/emjpro/EMJProductions.jpg[/img]

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:47 pm

The church I attend every week is Philippi Baptist Church in Union, SC. I have a very unique church in that my pastor is my step-father. It is very helpful when I'm struggling spiritually. Our services begin and end with the love of Christ. Everyone gets their hand shaken at least once, and during our singout, everyone's hand is held. Our philosophy behind this is that some people who enter the church rarely get any attention or affection at their job or home. We make a vow to every who enters the sanctuary that every song that is song, every sermon preached will proclaim God's glory and His Son crucified for the redeeming of our sins. Our Pastor, Brad Goodale, preaches it hard but in a way that you can tell he is concerned for your eternal salvation. We feature in orchestra, and you don't even need to be a church member to be in it, but you do need to be a Christian. We also feature a 30+ member choir that blows the roof off of the place everytime they do a special.
We have two services on Sunday Morning, one at 8:15 and another at 10:30. The early service is mostly for those who work a 3rd or 4th shift, and want to attend service then head home and rest for a while until the night service, but of course anyone may attend.
At 6 PM on Sunday evening is our evening service. During the school year, our youth pastor preaches over in our old sanctuary to our youth, which goes from 7th grade to College. On Wednesday nights at 7 PM we meet for Bible Study/Prayer Meeting. We get very indepth in the Bible, and pray for prayers and concerns throughout the community and our world. During the school year, our church runs a program called AWANA, for kids 2 years old-12th grade. It runs Wednesdays 6:30pm-8:00pm, which about the time the prayer meeting ends.
The AWANA Program was instituted at Philippi in 1992. It is a structured program designed to teach children God’s word in order that they might be saved and have the knowledge to teach others. AWANA stands for Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed. AWANA consists of three segments: game time, study time, and lesson time.

Sunday School is at 9:30. There is a class for every person, from the nursery to the 60+ age group. One of our main motto's is "From the cradle to the cane".
We have several choir groups.
One is JTots or "Jesus Tottlers". They meet on Wednesdays from 6:00pm-6:30pm and it is for Preschool aged children 3yrs. to 5yrs. old. It is a music ministry that “Makes a Joyful Noiseâ€
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:09 pm

I don't really have a church. I go to the liturgical service at the chapel on base when I can, but it's not all that impressive. The chaplain is a Joel Osteen wannabe, so it's kind of a turn off.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Channel 9 at 7am is usually good.
0 x
People are returning to God by leaving the church.

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 pm

separateunion wrote:I don't really have a church. I go to the liturgical service at the chapel on base when I can, but it's not all that impressive. The chaplain is a Joel Osteen wannabe, so it's kind of a turn off.
Why don't you tune in on Sundays for here? I think you enjoy it. The sermon I think you should order is called The Present AntiChrist. Very powerful sermon. Just call that number and the price like I said is $5 for DVDs and $3 for CDs.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:08 am

petrafreak2009 wrote:
separateunion wrote:I don't really have a church. I go to the liturgical service at the chapel on base when I can, but it's not all that impressive. The chaplain is a Joel Osteen wannabe, so it's kind of a turn off.
Why don't you tune in on Sundays for here? I think you enjoy it. The sermon I think you should order is called The Present AntiChrist. Very powerful sermon. Just call that number and the price like I said is $5 for DVDs and $3 for CDs.
Since you don't know my church background or what I believe, you really have no idea what I'd enjoy. From reading the description you gave, I'd more than likely not be interested in attending your church, although I don't mean that as a slight since everyone's personal tastes are different.

I already get weekly mailings of a service from a church I would go to if I lived there. However, sermons are really only half of the church experience. Listening to CDs of sermons doesn't do church justice, and I wish I did have a body of Christians I could worship with regularly. Maybe when I get back to the states I'll be able to find one.

Also, why do you feel the need to pimp your church on a website that maybe 40 people regularly read?
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:54 am

I just love my church so much and I wanted to see how much others loved their church. Numbers don't matter. Hey if one person listened and received Christ through this or was encouraged during a bad time, it would be worth it. That's why I posted it here.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:04 pm

Alright, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:19 am

I see nothing wrong with sharing what one's church is about. You never know.... someone might pick up on an idea for their own church.
We go out and witness in our community on Mondays at 6 PM until 8:30 PM
What exactly do you do? "out on the street" kind of thing?
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 am

It's clear that you really love your church and you're really jazzed about its ministries.

Let me share a couple of things that we're doing at Salem Evangelical Free Church in Fargo, North Dakota.

- We support an alternative clinic that provides medical care, clothing, diapers, etc for mothers who need help. (The only abortion clinic in North Dakota is in our town.)

- Bicycles for immigrants. On the theory that it's simpler and easier for immigrants to get around the city by bike, we have had a drive the last two years to collect bicycles, repair them to excellent condition, and give them away to internationals.

- ALIENS ...no, this has nothing to do with extra-terrestrials or illegal immigrants. ALIENS stands for Acknowledging the Lord in Every Nation and Situation (kind of a tortured acronym, I know) and it's the name of our youth group. The youth group has its own worship band, participates in cross-cultural missions opportunities, and starting with middle-schoolers, each age group participates in a different service project every year.

- College ministry: in this metropolitan area there are two state universities (NDSU and Minnesota State - Moorhead), a hoity-toity private college (Concordia College of Moorhead) and a tech school (MSCTC). This in a metro area with less than 150,000 people. So a huge proportion of our population is college kids living away from home for the first time. We have two part-timers on staff who run our college ministry, and they have unlimited access a small building owned by the church, where they have meetings, music, and social events. And during the school year, fully a third (maybe more) of our congregants are college kids who aren't members of the church, but who attend very regularly.

- We also support a ministry on the NDSU campus called "The Pink House," which is an open house where international students meet and minister, and are ministered to. The Pink House also hosts a free meal every Friday night that's open to the public, and I believe that that event average more than 100 attendees every week. Check out this ministry at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31355162670

So there's a few ideas. Very 'social ministry' oriented, but throughout everything we try to emphasize the sinfulness of man and God's saving grace.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 am

petrafreak2009 wrote:I just love my church so much and I wanted to see how much others loved their church. Numbers don't matter. Hey if one person listened and received Christ through this or was encouraged during a bad time, it would be worth it. That's why I posted it here.
I think also as a fellow Christian, sharing about your Church is great. It's great to see your positive about your Church, this world needs more real men like yourself who will stand up for the Church that they fellowship at, and speak well of it.
0 x

petrafreak2009
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafreak2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:12 pm

sue d. wrote:I see nothing wrong with sharing what one's church is about. You never know.... someone might pick up on an idea for their own church.
We go out and witness in our community on Mondays at 6 PM until 8:30 PM
What exactly do you do? "out on the street" kind of thing?
Yes, ma'am. We go out and visit shut-ins (People who are no longer able to go to church because of severe health), sick people, people who have been out of Sunday School for a while, lost friends of students(we have about 25 students who show up on Monday nights) or parents, people who recently visited our church, and also people who church members suggest we go see. Sometimes we even go through the phone book to go see someone. It's very fun and exciting. We start out the night by being fed by our meal team (a drawl for any baptist lol), then we watch a teaching video called Way of the Master(very good tv program!), we go out and witness, then come back and report and praise God for the progress.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:10 am

My church uses thecommon.org. If someone has a need, they post it to The Common. If someone has an ability or an item someone might need, they post it to The Common. I've been able to help other people, and have been helped myself. It's a pretty effective tool for ministry among a body of believers. Worth checking out.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

Camino Nuevo A.C.

Post by epdc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 am

One of the things that I love about the church I go to is that when I give my tenth or offerings I can really see they use it to God´s kingdom.

They have a shelter for children of the streets and they opened like 10 years ago a private school for poor kids and kids from the streets. They have everything a private school would have, with the difference that they don´t pay a cent. All the teachers are volunteers and all of them have their degrees and a lot of experience and the most important thing: they are christian.

What they do every morning is that the kids arrive an hour before so they can have their breakfast (a homemade one, really good!) and if their parents want to, they can breakfast too, after that they go to their lockers (here only private schools have lockers) and take out their uniforms, they put them on and start classes, when classes finish they get to eat there too and after that they wash their uniforms (some kids don´t even have enough water in their houses) and they leave them to dry, and then they go home.

They have elementary school and junior highschool, they just opened highschool, praise God :)

I feel great there because I feel my tenth and offerings make a difference ya know, that it can be a blessing. I was in another church where the pastor would drive a new car every year, would live in a rich neighborhood and opened a christian school too but that is really expensive that only rich kids can go. So mm I don´t know, I feel great to see the money I give is being use to bless other people.
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios