For you musicians and audio people

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

For you musicians and audio people

Post by brent » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 am

In case you have not heard, Behringer (the absolute worst audio manufacturer on the planet) purchased Midas and Klark (the absolute best audio manufacturer on the planet). It is a sad day. Kill me now.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Maybe Behringer will keep Alex Cooper around.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

In defense...

Post by Masada1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 pm

In defense of Behringer...for poor musicians on an almost negative budget, they are great. I use their effects pedals and I also run my acoustic through their acoustic amp and have always been very pleased with the results.

Would I go with something else if I could afford it? Probably...but for my money, Behringer gives us part time warriors bang for the buck.

Eric
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 pm

I have a little Behringer mixer between the computer and the monitors. I've been happy with it for years...
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:47 am

Must be a matter of opinion because I've heard Behringer recommended a number of times.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:40 am

I hearken back to the immortal words of petrafan1:
If Brent said it, it must be right.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 pm

We sell just about every brand of pro and MI audio. We sell Behringer only in cases where people are so limited financially that they can afford nothing else.

We were distributors back when Sam Ash Music began importing them into the USA. When people started figuring out that Sam Ash was marking the line up 100% more than it was priced to sell for internationally, the relationship fell apart. Sam Ash also had a SUPER HUGE problem with delayed shipments of products, failures, returns, credits...Sam Ash ran an ad with Uli Behringer's home telephone number as the Behringer technical support number and called it a day. They began developing Samson, to be an alternative to Behringer. Behringer opened their own distribution company in the USA, and then started taking care of their dealers a bit better. We went almost a year with no product though. At this time we began upselling to Mackie and other budget brands. Saying that we upsold to Mackie kind of sounds odd to me. It is like saying we upsold from a box of rocks to a box of bigger rocks.

Behringer has never had quality control. It was originally represented as a German product, but has always been built in China by cheap labor that lives on-site, at the factory, for chump change. They have little engineering staff. They have no service department or technicians.

When electronics components and chip manufacturers produce their components, they rate them depending upon how they test out in QC. For example, when Pentium chips were en vogue, chips that did not pass QC had their math co-processors turned off, were re-badged as Celerons and sold to the companies making entry level computers. Behringer accepts the crap that others discard. In fact, Behringer does not test for tolerances at all on the components coming in, or the assembled gear going out. We often take two of the same units with consecutive serial numbers and bench test them. Digital converters and DSP devices are seldom close.

No Behringer product is serviced. It is thrown away and replaced. That is their warranty. In many cases, Behringer realizes trends in failures and automatically ships replacements directly to the customers upon receiving registration.

Behringer has stolen IP from AKG, Aphex, dbx, Mackie, QSC, Crown, etc. They have paid millions and millions to these companies. They are immoral and unethical. The first generation dynamics processors were exact replicas of Aphex and dbx models. Those were the ones to buy. Once they had to change to their own design, the poop hit the fan.

There is some stuff that is ok, like cable checkers, MIDI controllers, etc. Basically the stuff that does not pass audio is ok. Most everything else is noisier and less reliable than the competition. This is a documented fact. Call any retailer's service center and ask for yourself.

Do a Google search for the business practices of Behringer and the Music Group. They are about to have to pay up a million for being naughty. Behringer imported numerous products without all proper certification for years and continued to do so for about a year after being formally informed by the FCC of the violation. This hacked off the FCC, which is laying out the hefty fine. Now check this out. If you are using this stuff in your church, home, school, etc, and there is a fire, YOUR INSURANCE WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY BECAUSE YOU ARE USING ILLEGAL ELECTRONICS! Now, how does that hit ya?
0 x
People are returning to God by leaving the church.

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 am

well, being from Brazil and not being a sound professional (and not even a prosumer on that field), i have never heard of Midas or Klark.
but Behringer is a fairly known brand here.
a few years ago, my church bought some equipment, including a bass combo (i am one of the church's bass players).
for very little money difference (considering the total amount that was being spent on the whole package of equipment that was being bought), someone chose a Behringer bass combo instead of a Hartke one (the Hartke cost like $ 200 more).
guys... the Behringer bass combo was just h-o-r-r-i-d. we have local brands here with questionable quality, and they sound waaaaaay better.
Behringer, never more.
0 x
i wanna live until i die.