What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Re: What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Post by daveferrari » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 am

So no one misunderstands...my comments were not meant to disparage Greg in anyway. No one loves the Volz era more than I do. There is an anointing on Greg that I don't even think he quite understands. Please hear my heart. I was not trying to "dis" Greg. Regardless of whatever his personal struggles are...I consider him a strong man of God with an extremely valid ministry.

Yes I think John deserves respect and I will let my blog express my feelings....but I think that you have missed the broader point. This is exactly what is wrong with Petra and Christian music in general. No real sense of history, no understanding of what it's history is, and no real way to honor its history in the proper context.

This tour is gonna be great! I'm super excited and filled with expectation. But I think the conversation is a good one for Petra fans and Christian music fans.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 am

sue d. wrote:
Sue has John been asked to join this tour?
No, he hasn't. Since Greg is the one behind this all, there would be no reason for him to ask John to join in and share the stage.

So Sue, if John were asked to join this tour, would he?
Or is it as Brent has stated several times, that John will not play with Loiue again??
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:31 am

fcollazo wrote:Ok, to start, with all due respect to a servant of the Lord, I think the pastor is wrong in complaining about the "Classic Petra" not including John.

If he is a musician like me, we know that before John came in the Petra sound was a very vintage sound. You can tell just by listening to those records that sound quite dated, which is not a bad thing. It makes them "Classic". Also Bob used a Gibson Les Paul for most of the recordings before John came making the records and the guitar sound more vintage, more "classic". Then towards the end of the Greg era and then on he switched to super Strats usually associated with a more modern sound, hence "The Schllit Era Sound". Now if you listen to most of the Schllitt era records they do not sound dated except for electronic fake drums sound in TMW and UP. I still think tehy are quite relevant and could still have airplay along with the current music scene, OK I Love John too!

Also we have continued to listen and see live, on and off varied versions of the Schlitt era Petra even after "retirement", so it's never been gone. So the Greg era is now the one that deserves to be heard again. Still John could still tour with the other version, the more the merrier.

Finally, I sense that some people here think this is the Schllit Zone, when I thought I was at the Petra Zone. Don't you guys sense resentment if John is not included in an event or topic?

I think the comments on Greg's divorce are childish, inmature, and disrespectful to another Human Being that is still trying to serve the Lord and has given all of us so much joy and encouragement through his ministry. Please do not forget that there are members of this board that Love both John and Greg.

We should be happy and grateful that God is allowing us the enjoy Petra this year in manny ways!

God bless.

I agree with everything that you said. 8)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 am

shawnpfan2010 wrote:
sue d. wrote:
Sue has John been asked to join this tour?
No, he hasn't. Since Greg is the one behind this all, there would be no reason for him to ask John to join in and share the stage.

So Sue, if John were asked to join this tour, would he?
Or is it as Brent has stated several times, that John will not play with Loiue again??
This will not happen nor is it supposed to so why even ask? This is like asking if Roger Waters is going to have David Gilmore join him on HIS tour of The Wall. It is by Greg, for Greg and that era of players. John will be playing with the other guys minus Louie.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I think if we ask Sue or Brent 8 or 9 more times, we'll somehow get a different answer.

Also, if we continue with our spirit-driven badgering, John will eventually play with Louie.

So yes.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Honestly, no matter how many times you ask it is not going to change so time to move on!
Do we know when the concert dates will be posted so people can make plans?
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:57 pm

daveferrari wrote:So no one misunderstands...my comments were not meant to disparage Greg in anyway. No one loves the Volz era more than I do. There is an anointing on Greg that I don't even think he quite understands. Please hear my heart. I was not trying to "dis" Greg. Regardless of whatever his personal struggles are...I consider him a strong man of God with an extremely valid ministry.

Yes I think John deserves respect and I will let my blog express my feelings....but I think that you have missed the broader point. This is exactly what is wrong with Petra and Christian music in general. No real sense of history, no understanding of what it's history is, and no real way to honor its history in the proper context.

This tour is gonna be great! I'm super excited and filled with expectation. But I think the conversation is a good one for Petra fans and Christian music fans.

Just want to make sure I understand you.

What is Petra's history??

Is Greg not a part of that history??
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I think if we ask Sue or Brent 8 or 9 more times, we'll somehow get a different answer.

Also, if we continue with our spirit-driven badgering, John will eventually play with Louie.

So yes.
Ah... Jonathan.... you always lighten up my day! 8)
0 x

knotodiswrld
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1984

Post by knotodiswrld » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm

As much as I like John Schlit, adding him to the classic Petra lineup would just be wrong. This is Greg's time to shine. Let him have it.

John has his own life and his own career. He was Petra's front man even longer than Greg. Let Greg have this.

(And I am not implying that John has a problem with any of that.)
0 x
The Master of The Earth became a servant of no worth
And paid a kings ransom for my soul

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

I thought this was classic Petra.

0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:54 pm

First off...I think the last two thirds of this discussion are a bit silly frankly. I am a long time Petra devotee. I came to the Lord through listening to the Beat the System album back in 1986 and have been an avid follower since. I love both the Greg era of Petra as well as the John era of Petra.

For me...the phrase "Classic Petra" denote the era the was fronted by Greg Volz. The idea that John would be considered a part of the classic era seems nonsensical to me. While I agree that CCM has no sense of history...I would say that anyone with a reasonable sense of history would call "classic" Petra the one that Greg fronted. Now, this in no way shape or form disses John. John clearly lead the band into a whole new era and level of popularity. However, I can tell you that there are a whole group of people out there who checked out of the whole Petra thing during the height of their popularity who still remember the Greg lead era quite fondly.

Part of this is because, Petra in their early days were such pioneers. Musically they were actually doing stuff that was in fact ahead of their contemporaries. They were hampered by a lack of production but the music was cutting edge. There is a perception among some, whether it be right or wrong, that after John came on board, they stopped doing cutting edge stuff and began to follow the mainstream sounds. I'm not saying this is right or wrong...but I know that that perception is out there and, honestly, I think some of the musical decisions they made between No Doubt and Jeckyll and Hyde did nothing to dispel that.

Anyway, I've had the wonderful opportunity to see the John fronted Petra well over 25+ times. I never got to see Greg with them. For me...this would be a chance to see the band that brought me to the Lord in the configuration it was in at that time. So...it would be a once in a lifetime sort of thing. So, yeah, I would be willing to travel long distances to see this lineup.

Having said that though...I would be chomping at the bit to see any line-up of Petra!

Eric
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:56 pm

fcollazo wrote:Now if you listen to most of the Schllitt era records they do not sound dated except for electronic fake drums sound in TMW and UP. I still think tehy are quite relevant and could still have airplay along with the current music scene
Sure, on a radio station that plays 80s rock. On a modern rock station? Nope.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Masada1 wrote:Musically they were actually doing stuff that was in fact ahead of their contemporaries. They were hampered by a lack of production but the music was cutting edge.
I think your fanatacism of the band has hampered your judgment. The CCM industry, regardless of the artist, has always been at least three years behind mainstream music. Between the above statement and the idea that Petra should be on the same plateau as U2 (a band I don't really care for, yet I admire their adaptability and their importance), I'm beginning to think that Petra fans either don't get music or they have no objectivity whatsoever when discussing the band.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

[quote="separateunion"][quote="fcollazo"]I think your fanatacism of the band has hampered your judgment. The CCM industry, regardless of the artist, has always been at least three years behind mainstream music. Between the above statement and the idea that Petra should be on the same plateau as U2 (a band I don't really care for, yet I admire their adaptability and their importance), I'm beginning to think that Petra fans either don't get music or they have no objectivity whatsoever when discussing the band./quote]

Okay...now his is the discussion we should be having. I never said that Petra should be on the same plateau as U2. I said they should be the equivalent of that to Christian music fans. That is quite a difference than what you infer.

I also agree that from No Doubt - Revival, the Petra brand was diminished (Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda put out an album like Jekyll and Hyde after Wake Up Call). They simply became irrelevant in style and impact. Some bad directional choices were made as well. Believe me, I'm not drinking Petra Kool Aid, I understand what the artistic shortcomings were. However their impact on the genre is important and it has an impact on the direction of CCM even today. Look at Third Day. The Third Day brand has been protected even though there has been a member leave the band recently. Their place in the history of the genre is intact and they have the best chance of being the "U2" of CCM (again not the same level...the same role). It is just a shame that it has not been Petra in that role.

That is the main reason I feel the way I do about JS in the front man role. He is the Petra brand (with Bob). Even though it will be great to see Greg back and I am excited about it. The question is...does this put Petra in their rightful place in CCM history and restore the brand. I don't think so. Like the bad choices made over the last 15 years....Petra (Greg), is simply trying to capitalize on a direction in the market (sound familiar...every album from ND to Revival was an attempt to do that). My point is that if you restore the brand, you get the fan base back and can move forward.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Ok, can we sum it up please? This is retarded. Times change, people change. The wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'....whatever you want to say. Classic Petra has a shot to reach people that the last incarnation of Petra could not do. The last incarnation needs to quit for a while IMO. Why? Tell you in a sec.

This topic is proof that there really are two diverse fan groups for the incarnations and that the shows and CD will fulfill their intended purpose, drawing the GREG era fans, not the John era fans back to Petra.

Petra does NOT have a fan base that can support it and it hasn't for a long time. Petra is dead. We are the few that care. Blame Petra, blame the music scene, blame the labels, blame the fans. It is what it is. If there were any chance that Petra could stay alive, it would. It can't so it isn't. John would love it to stay alive. The other night, at the concert in Lees Summit, John told the crowd he was potentially "losing his house" and "losing everything".

Since the Classic Petra has not over exposed itself dying a slow and painful death, it has a chance. It has been away, leaving the people who liked it to wonder "what if?". Bands that have been away find themselves missed. Petra will be like an old friend. The friend will come out of hiding, shake hands and we will enjoy the time together. It will go away, not overstaying the welcome. THAT is how you book a show and sell product. You can't do it by constantly shooting product out like a blind archer, trying to hit a moving target. If people think that they will never see it again, they will buy in.

John is STILL singing his solo stuff and Petra stuff. John is singing with Bob. John is singing with Petra for reunion shows. If you like John and not Greg, go see John and not Greg. Shut it already and let the rest of us that paid Petra's bills so that they could morph into the over processed, thin-sounding, over-formulated version you like and appreciate. Let us have our fun, and let these old geezers make some money to live on. Holy cow.

BTW, I will put the JDB records up against just about any of the E brothers records and see which one has timeless playing, sounds and mixes. The best sounding record Petra did aside from JDBs was Wake Up Call. That is a true masterpiece from a production standpoint and I tip my hat to that production staff BIG TIME.
0 x