What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Re: What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Post by daveferrari » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:33 pm

You don't sound like your having any fun Brent. I think this is a fun...worthwhile conversation to have.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Oh I am havin' fun alright 'cause we get to see just about every incarnation of Petra possible this year and there will be no tears shed because Greg isn't included in the John versions and John isn't included in the Greg version.

I hope you have a cool car worthy of your last name Dave.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:11 pm

I agree with Brent, that Wake Up Call is the best sounding record of the Schlitt era, but I do not know why some people dissed it at times. They should have stayed with Browm Bannister, maybe they would have stayed around.

Again, the Schlitt Petra burned itself with all the bad changes, and desicions. By the way I am going to get heat for this but; John can no longer sing the Petra stuff without sounding winded of squealing out after not being able to reach the notes. Just watch the 2 last DVD's of Petra in Argentina, it's painful to watch. Painful because I love John and have heard his voice change since I first saw him live in 1995.

It's like Grace Slick said, she better retired garcefully than making her self look bad.

And I always thought of Petra as The Beatles of Chirstian music because of their pioneering groundbreaking ministry, and really no one can touch their legacy.... but? Now it sounds like Van Halen! Roth in, Haggar out, Haggar in, Roth out, and all fans taking sides. Oh well.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I WANT TO SEE THE GREG X. VOLZ ERA PETRA BACK IN FULL FORCE, TAKING NO PRISIONERS!
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:20 pm

I have cried many times about what could have been if Greg would have stayed in Petra all along. I found Petra at age 15 when a friend gave me two casettes, one of TMW and one of CITAS. I was confused about how great but different both sounded but still where the same thing!
0 x

daveferrari
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daveferrari » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:25 pm

If I could afford my namesake vehicle I would just lay down the cash for all these guys to do one big Petra tour. Umm, ah...after I fed some hungry people.
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm with Brent on this one...at least 99% of the way!
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:51 pm

with Brent on what? the Ferrari car issue of The Petra issue?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Masada is with me in Daves Ferrari, driving...scratch that...speeding to the next Petra show with Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" blaring from the sparse Italian stereo.:)
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:46 pm

fcollazo
Just watch the 2 last DVD's of Petra in Argentina,
Don't watch that vid.... John was not in the best of health that night. Watch something current - and you'll see a whole different singer.

Love that Hagar tune, btw! It's my theme song....
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:03 am

Check out the Video from Petra Live in Norway in 1986 from the first Tour with John. All were Classic Petra songs, and sounded like Classic Petra. Bob nailed the exact guitar tone of those records for that tour for a reason.

Then just a few months later BTTS Album gets done and released and everything changes. Even the Classic GXVolz era songs done live after the Schlitt albums are released sound more modern, mostly due to their self proclaimed effort at the time to change for and "edgier more modern sound", equipment selection, production etc. This has been said in many interviews around that time, and after. Bob wanted to differentiate both eras on pourpose to avoid comparisons that would not be fair to John, as well as to be different from what Greg did after he left. JDB produced Greg's first 4 solo albums and they take off from where BTS ended, with the same sound and style.

It's obvious there is a "Classic Petra" with Greg and a "Modern Petra" with John. Nothing wrong with that.

Nobody has disrespected John by not making his era the "Classic era of Petra". Actually I think John would be pleased to know that his era of Petra would be considered the most edgy, raw, and Modern.

Now, I agree that the powers that be at the CCM industry are the ones that have disrespected every single member Petra ever by not giving them their place in history, deserved airplay, and promotion for future generations to appreciate. The Promoters of "Classic Petra" are actually honoring their Legacy by making this happen, because these members deserve it.

Also please, stop saying that this is Greg's idea only, like he's pushing for it! It sounds like some people here regret that he gets a chance to do what he has all the right in the world to do. Everyone in Petra is now an ex-alumini, since they are "officilally retired". So what makes one version of Petra less deserving than the other. I am sure that if all that we have been told is correct, every participating member of the "Classic Reunion" will enjoy it, and will be honored to participate, even Bob and Louie.

My 2 cents, or half dollar for that matter.
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:08 am

daveferrari wrote:
separateunion wrote:
fcollazo wrote:I think your fanatacism of the band has hampered your judgment. The CCM industry, regardless of the artist, has always been at least three years behind mainstream music. Between the above statement and the idea that Petra should be on the same plateau as U2 (a band I don't really care for, yet I admire their adaptability and their importance), I'm beginning to think that Petra fans either don't get music or they have no objectivity whatsoever when discussing the band./quote]

Believe me, I'm not drinking Petra Kool Aid,
Actually, I believe that should be Petra brand Dew-nog.

What I find interesting is that its being driven br GXV. Bob has protected the brand so tightly in the past, I thought Greg would convince him and then he would run with it.

As a side note, it's funny that collectively, they'll have more hair then they did in '85.
Last edited by cvs2kids on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 am

I would just like to say I'm cool with all options touring but if I can only see one it would be Classic Petra because I have never seen that lineup and the nostalgia factor wins out for me. HOWEVER we still have not seen one CONFIRMED date or LOCATION just a splash webpage and some second hand info from the "Highest Authority" on the issue. So until CONFIRMED details emerge I am making plans to check out the other options when I can. As far as I'm concerned John is touring when he can and what Sue lists is CONFIRMED so go check John and whoever he is playing with.

Oh and by the way this debate about classic Petra and Greg and John is just downright STUPID! Like Greg see Greg like John see John like David Lichens see David Lichens like Brent see Brent for crying out loud people get a life. Brent my friend you make a lot of sense maybe you should tour with a version of Petra and I will come out and see you as advertised "BRENT PRESENTS:LATEST GREATEST FINAL FOR SURE NO LIE ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTE ONE NIGHT ONLY FOR FIVE YEARS ONLY FAREWELL CLASSIC MODERN REINCARNATION OF PETRA THIS SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!"
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 am

I realize that people have strong opinions about their music, but I think a lot of folks are forgetting something and that is the WILL of GOD. I don't know if He will do great things through the "classic" Petra tour, but if He chooses to use them or if He has something to accomplish through John, HE will do it. HE will decide. No amount of pleading, whining or wishing on our part (or theirs for that matter) is going to make God move if it is not HIS WILL and HIS TIMING.

I agree with Brent on the point that I think Petra would have been better off if they had actually retired when Bob left the touring band, or shortly thereafter. I've always thought that it was a mistake to keep pouring resources into Petra. John had established a solo presence and should have stuck with it. Of course, it is easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and say that perhaps the band went on not to accomplish God's mission but their own to make a living. Perhaps relationships would not have gotten strained to the breaking point if people hadn't continued to work together under such financially stressful times.

But, as Dale Earnhart Jr is fond of saying, "It is what it is." So, that means just like our lives, it is never too late for God to redeem us or use us. We need to stop wallowing in the past - good or bad - and live fully in the present and look hopefully to the future.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:17 am

It's been awhile since you've posted, Bridget; welcome back. E-mail me some time to let me know how you're doing.
0 x