A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

PDC

Post by George Harrison » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 am

Will PDC ever relese a new album? The first two were interesting, not much progressive christian rock/metal out there. Even though they weren't quite my style, they were pretty cool, and had some nice riffs and technical lead guitar.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: PDC

Post by brent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 am

Well, we have been kicking around ideas. Occasionally, Alan and I get together and write in person. Alan gets little lyric bites from me every other day. Most of our audience is outside the USA. Because our genre still has life in other parts of the world, we are going to continue doing the music we like. That said, I would bet we have more acoustic sounds on this one. Thanks for asking. Just out of curiosity, what is your prefered genre/style?
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:15 pm

I listen to a variety of music. I like nearly every kind of classic rock/metal, soft rock, folk rock, hard rock, melodic, blues rock, progressive, etc. I am not a big fan of modern rock however. I also like some folk, blues and pop. Some band's I am interested in:
Petra
Resurrection Band
Guardian
Kevin Max
The Beatles
Boston
TUSS
John Elefante
John Schmitt
Jars of Clay
Owl City

I suppose I was referring to the guitar tone when I said it wasn't quite my style, I can be pretty fussy about that, though it's just a matter of preference. I don't particularly like much downtuning (same reason I didn't love Jekyll and Hyde, though it was still good, guitar tone/tuning). However, the guitar riffs were cool, and the lead guitarist (s) were very skilled. Also, there is very little progressive christian rock.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm

We certainly took no offence. We are just curious about your tastes.

I too love Boston...UH LOT. I like how the whole Boston project came into being, how the records were made, the guitars, the vocals, etc. The drum tone sucked, but Tom is on record stating that the drums were a cheap kit he had, and he believed rock music could be made on cheap drums that didn't sound good. We write and record like Boston and Steely Dan. So, there's that. Harmonies are very important to us. Boston and RTZ (Brad and Barry's post-Boston band) delivered! The other bands we liked in this era are Journey and Foreigner. Both would have been killer band names for Christian rock groups. Anyway, with all of these, the melodic vocals and guitars were centric.

Back in my CCM days, Rez band didn't have good tone on their records and tapes, IMO. I only saw them live once. They were playing a bunch of Peavey gear at that time and I just couldn't take that tone. They drew a different crowd than me too, so I wasn't into them much. I liked one or two songs from DMZ. But that's it. Of course, I liked Petra, Joe English, Servant, DeGarmo & Key, etc, etc. Anything rocking. Man. You can listen to Servant's World of Sand or Rock'in Revival and hear messages that would apply today, but nobody would have the guts to sing them. Servant was a reflection of their era. I can hear secular influences all over the place in all of their records, like Golden Earing for example.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, I like how boston layers multiple guitars on one another, quite complicated melody/harmonies. Their singer was very good also. I didn't like Rez very much until the mid/late 80's, afterwards I did.

I understand you were involved in the music industry, and that you are a member of PDC, but how exactly were you involved in the music industry?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 pm

went to college to study music and recording, worked in Christian radio (KXOJ, Tulsa), was the FOH audio engineer and member of a CCM band (Star Song. Opened for Petra, Shiela Walsh, Morgan Cryar, numerous others.) Went to engineering school in LA, mixed for numerous secular groups, managed the Tulsa Philharmonic Orchestra, toured exclusively with a couple of multi-platinum, Grammy/CMA bands, recording studio engineering/teching, director of multi-media ministries and engineer for a couple of mega-churches, currently working in the systems integration world as an audio, video, lighting and acoustics consultant, designer and project manager, for houses of worship.

Alan and I ARE PDC. We are like Steely Dan and Boston. We dream it, perform it and augment with other players.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:27 am

Wow. You have indeed been around in the music industry. It is quite interesting to be able to get your opinion on things related to it here on the zone.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 am

brent wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm
Back in my CCM days, Rez band didn't have good tone on their records and tapes, IMO. I only saw them live once. They were playing a bunch of Peavey gear at that time and I just couldn't take that tone. They drew a different crowd than me too, so I wasn't into them much. I liked one or two songs from DMZ. But that's it.
Rez was essentially a budget band that didn't put a lot of money into their production. I read once that their early studio was a garage with mattresses attached to the walls, and their recording equipment wasn't much better. It was part of the Jesus People USA deal where they shared resources and income with their community, so they spent as little as possible on their records in the name of good stewardship.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:26 pm

I thought they were just a bunch of bikers. Good to know.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 am
brent wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm
Back in my CCM days, Rez band didn't have good tone on their records and tapes, IMO. I only saw them live once. They were playing a bunch of Peavey gear at that time and I just couldn't take that tone. They drew a different crowd than me too, so I wasn't into them much. I liked one or two songs from DMZ. But that's it.
Rez was essentially a budget band that didn't put a lot of money into their production. I read once that their early studio was a garage with mattresses attached to the walls, and their recording equipment wasn't much better. It was part of the Jesus People USA deal where they shared resources and income with their community, so they spent as little as possible on their records in the name of good stewardship.

Funniest thing about their studio quality is they are known in CCM circles for having good quality recordings; I've always felt their albums from the early 80's up until their last album were far and away superior to the likes of Petra, White Heart and others in that genre. Steve Taylor was quoted once saying Rez makes their sound beautiful out of literally nothing. I will admit their style really isnt my first and front style taste but you can't knock their recording quality.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 am

I just went back and listened to the albums available on Spotify. They aren't as bad as I remember. Well, the 78 release was. I remember playing singles from Heaven n' Hell and Hostage in rotation on radio. The digital files sound much better than what was on tape and vinyl, especially on DMZ.
0 x