Journey Through Time

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Journey Through Time

Post by brent » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 am

I started this thread, because the topic I am replying on was started on the Steve Perry thread, but no longer has relevance to Steve Perry.

Quoted interview with Neal Schon.

"Neal Schon and The Journey Through Time

Tell me about the upcoming Journey Through Time, and what could we expect from that tour?

You know what; I haven’t really gotten into it yet. We’re just mapping things out right now, but we’re definitely going to be playing dates next year. We’re really going to play anything that’s in our repertoire – anything that Journey has recorded. I plan on mixing it up a lot and not playing the same set. Stuff from our first three records – we’re going to update that a little bit – and have some fun jamming man. I’m going to get in front of some different audiences. The players are great – Gregg Rolie is going to be there – Deen Castronovo on drums and singing – and Marco Mendoza. I’m checking out somebody new right now that plays keyboards and guitar – sort of a multi-purpose guy –and he sings good too. And so far., so good.

Deen and Johnny Gioeli recently did an album together. Have you kept in touch with either of them over the years? And what do you think of your work in Hardline in retrospect?

You know what – I’ve spoken with Johnny a couple of times. Deen I talk to all the time, because he’s been like a little brother to me. Throughout all of the process of the work he’s been doing to himself, I’ve kept in close contact – and I’m happy to say that he’s doing really, really well. He sounds amazing and he’s singing amazing! I really haven’t looked at Hardline in a long time. I loved it when I did it – but I took the project on as a producer and co-songwriter. I didn’t really intend to be in the band. When we got out and started playing some dates, I just felt it was great stuff – but maybe I felt I had surpassed that a long time ago musically. My head was just in a different place. I was sort of weaned on a lot of fusion and blues and jazz – stuff that was a little more challenging to play. But I like it. It’s great. We made a great record – I thought the record sounded phenomenal! It’s one of the first records I produced, with Tony Phillips engineering. And it sounds really good when you crank it! That’s what I remember! We mixed it so that when you turn up the system and you get it blasting, it sounds really freakin’ good!

Interview by Ken Morton –"
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Journey Through Time

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:37 am

Sounds like Schon is intent on Journey continuing to be the world's greatest tribute band. Heck, "Journey Through Time" even sounds like a tribute band name.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:23 pm

I don't think they will ever tour again with Steve Perry, it is too late.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:37 am
Sounds like Schon is intent on Journey continuing to be the world's greatest tribute band. Heck, "Journey Through Time" even sounds like a tribute band name.

The current line up of Journey is in no way shape or form a tribute band. 2 original members, 2 members that have been there since 1980(I know Steve Smith left for a time, but is now back) and a lead singer that has now been with the band longer than Steve Perry was officially with the band. It's a shame that they have to rely on their "hey day hits" because the newer material is really good. When we saw them with Def Leppard in August they were every bit as good as Def Leppard(Lep is known for putting on some of the best shows) and the sold out American Airlines Arena(Dallas) was on their feet throughout both sets. I've seen Journey several times, some with Steve Perry, once with Steve Augeri, and now 3 times with Arneil and this latest show was by far their best.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:23 pm
I don't think they will ever tour again with Steve Perry, it is too late.
I am one that is happy about this, Steve really doesn't have it anymore and clearly has lost his stage presence.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 pm

I don't think he ever had much of a presence. He was active. I'll give him that. His strength was in the vocal performance. He was not pretty boy dancer....thank God. At least he would run, walk and jump on beat. Arnel jumps around, but seldom on beat and the band never ends tunes by his leading. He often misses those endings. I think he is done. His voice is toast.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:24 am

Yes he didn't move on stage much, however his facial expressions were probably the most authentic I have seen in an artist. He truly believed in what he was singing. Problem is facial expressions too become harder as you get older, especially if the lyrics don't mean as much... so it is harder to deliver with passion/conviction.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:18 pm

executioner wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:37 am
The current line up of Journey is in no way shape or form a tribute band. 2 original members, 2 members that have been there since 1980(I know Steve Smith left for a time, but is now back) and a lead singer that has now been with the band longer than Steve Perry was officially with the band. It's a shame that they have to rely on their "hey day hits" because the newer material is really good. When we saw them with Def Leppard in August they were every bit as good as Def Leppard(Lep is known for putting on some of the best shows) and the sold out American Airlines Arena(Dallas) was on their feet throughout both sets. I've seen Journey several times, some with Steve Perry, once with Steve Augeri, and now 3 times with Arneil and this latest show was by far their best.
Calling them the world's greatest tribute band is a long-standing joke among Journey fans based on the fact that they have never been able to move past the Steve Perry era. It doesn't really help that Arnel Pineda has never made the songs his own and sings them almost exactly as they appear on the records -- right down to voice inflection -- which gives them a bit of a karaoke quality, whereas Perry's performances were always dynamic and improvisational. And while Pineda has been with the band for a longer time chronologically, he's only recorded two albums compared to Perry's seven (their latest release was 7-years ago!), and Pineda covers mostly Perry's tunes in live performances.

All of this gives the impression of a band clinging to the past rather than pressing on into the future.
0 x