GXV Autotune.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

GXV Autotune.

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Listen to the auto tune try to correct GXV's laugh at the 2:00 mark:
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: GXV Autotune.

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:09 pm

"Video unavailable"
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:08 am

Hmm you're in the US right? Works for me..
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm from Canada, works for me. I really wish Volz would stop using autotune, frankly it sounds terrible (to me, though I don't think many classic rock fans would like it, and is that not what Petra plays?). It's especially awful on Back to the Rock 2, I can't stand it. Greg always had a good voice, and surely it couldn't have deteriorated so much? His voice was good enough on God Only Knows, I believe.

Just sounds cheap, terrible, and not like classic rock... I know Greg has a good voice... Better than a lot of pop singers who need actually need autotune.
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

The TBN recording was a mix of autotune and lip sync. He still sounds good, and is still a better pop singer than half the "artists" currently on the secular charts. I strongly dislike autotune.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 am

Both versions of the TBN concert are loaded with tracks and tuning artifacts. It's the world we live in now. Autotune, Melodyne, etc are just accepted and expected. I hate it. But, is the public willing to accept REAL live vocals? Not a chance.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:12 pm

I've heard that it was a stylistic choice for Classic Petra and not because Volz doesn't have skillz. It's what the modern audience has come to expect... which is an odd choice for an older group trying to reconnect with their fans.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:52 pm

brent wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 am
Both versions of the TBN concert are loaded with tracks and tuning artifacts. It's the world we live in now. Autotune, Melodyne, etc are just accepted and expected. I hate it. But, is the public willing to accept REAL live vocals? Not a chance.
I hate it too. And while the "live" recordings may sound better, you start to wonder why should go to concerts at all if that is not the real deal either.
0 x

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Thank you for posting this. I have listened to this on Spotify and always wondered what the heck was that sound. I initially thought it was John Lawry with some kind of weird synth sound. Then I just reconciled that Lawry wouldn't do something that weird and uncalled for with More Power To Ya, so I just assumed it was some audio splice or weird audio glitch. Funny stuff the things they do today. I hear a lot of this in Project Damage Control music too, now I know its unholy source.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:27 pm

petranite wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm
I hear a lot of this in Project Damage Control music too, now I know its unholy source.
Really? I don't notice any auto tune/melodyne/pitch correction at all in PDC. However, I am no expert.
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Hey now. Watch the PDC music comment. Hahaha. :P There isn't any on the first train wreck release, because Autotune was new, it SUCKED and I didn't own it. Mechanism has very little Melodyne on it in relation the hundreds of vocal tracks that are dry. GXVs parts came to me bounced in stereo stems. I have some tracks we did not use and I am pretty sure he used Waves, Antares or Melodyne in Cubase to stack upon his dry vocals. It's not uncommon to take the dry vocals, pan them slightly off center, then take the processed vocals, pan them slightly off center. Or, people will take a dry take from chorus one and a dry take from chorus two, offset them, change pitch on one a few cents, and that will widen them up a bit. I did that all over the place. There were as many as 40-50 tracks of layered back ground vocals (ala Queen, Boston, Def Leppard) at times. All of that layering thins things out and creates some phasing. If there was Melodyne blatantly used, it was for creative purposes, and there is usually some harmonics and distortion added to other instruments at the same time. A similar artifact may be caused by D-Fi, which is an Avid plug-in. I used D-Fi a bunch. As a matter of illustration, point to a specific part on a song from Mechanism and I might be able to play you the raw track before and after processing.
0 x

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Hey Brent, I just threw out the PDC comment to troll ya. I love the PDC stuff.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:59 pm

No big deal either way. I am glad I don't have to search for files now. We don't mind airing our "dirties".
0 x