New John Schlitt Single

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Re: New John Schlitt Single

Post by sue d. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:59 pm

This was written by John and Ryan Horn of Langham Ministries. The Union and Langham Min were partners for a time being... which is how John and Ryan came to know each other.

It's going to be on social media as soon as the lyric video for the song is completed... Ryan wanted to wait a bit... that's why you haven't really heard about it yet. Sorry...!

But when upload the single for sale, YouTube apparently grabs it as well as 'topic.' I don't know that much about Tunecore and how that part of things all operates, but that's a little background on why you've not seen any announcements or anything - yet.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Youtube grabbing it as a 'topic' is a ripoff... everybody knows you can download the MP3 with 2 clicks from that video.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:27 pm

0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm

pmal wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 pm
So, uh, crazy question. How does something like this get produced, come out on the web, and be on youtube for two weeks, when we're sitting here on a retired band's fan page, 13 years after they retire, starving for tunes, and no one knows about it? LOL. I'm betting even now we're not supposed to know it exists.
There just isn't much buzz in older CCM artists. Sad, but totally true. Song sounds really nice, and if a lead singer from ... oh, let;s just say Journey or Styx released a single then there would be more people interested. Fans of Petra and other great acts just vanish...leaving a small fraction of the fanbase... The song sounds really nice IMO.
0 x

no one
Pethead
Pethead

Post by no one » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:06 am

Sigh. I really wanted to like "Fighting the Fight" - anything John puts out used to get me excited.

Musically it sounds canned, 20 years old, and largely forgettable. There's no memorable hook, no crescendo, no change. It's a bland song.

Lyrically it's like jello. There's nothing to it.

"You give me strength so I'll be strong"
"The vision of your heart is clear"
"You hold me close to you" yet "I run to the light where I see you face to face"

Almost every line is filled with generic Christian-ese that uses 4 minutes and 50 seconds without saying very much of anything.

Thematically: This is a song about death and dying. I would have expected something in a song on this topic to mention saying goodbye to loved ones, leaving a legacy, the (present) future communion of saints ...

It's a song that draws on 2nd Timothy 4:7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." But I don't know what that looks like from the song.

John's done some great work in the past, but this one just isn't that good. :roll:
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm

no one wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:06 am
Sigh. I really wanted to like "Fighting the Fight" - anything John puts out used to get me excited.

Musically it sounds canned, 20 years old, and largely forgettable. There's no memorable hook, no crescendo, no change. It's a bland song.

"You hold me close to you" yet "I run to the light where I see you face to face"

Almost every line is filled with generic Christian-ese that uses 4 minutes and 50 seconds without saying very much of anything.

Thematically: This is a song about death and dying. I would have expected something in a song on this topic to mention saying goodbye to loved ones, leaving a legacy, the (present) future communion of saints ...

It's a song that draws on 2nd Timothy 4:7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." But I don't know what that looks like from the song.

John's done some great work in the past, but this one just isn't that good. :roll:
So you like it right?
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

GabrielHansberry
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2010

Post by GabrielHansberry » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Youtube grabbing it as a 'topic' is a ripoff... everybody knows you can download the MP3 with 2 clicks from that video.
It's not actually YouTube doing it, it's the digital distribution platform. It's assumed that the increased publicity will be beneficial, in spite of the fact that YouTube pays absolutely nothing for it (it doesn't really matter whether anyone even uses the mp3 converter, since listening on YouTube is already free and unlimited)

With this in mind, most online distribution services (CDbaby, Distrokid, etc.) that artists/publishers go through to get music on Spotify, iTunes, and such, will also post to YouTube Music (as well as many other even less reputable outlets). It's all for the purpose of increasing publicity.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Does iTunes pay well? I don't believe Spotify does.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

GabrielHansberry
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2010

Post by GabrielHansberry » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 am

It fluctuates widely, as the payment is based on several factors, but typically Apple pays about half a cent per play, compared to Spotify's quarter of a cent per play. That may or may not sound good to you. I don't know if the rates are different for artists with more listeners.

Generally, streaming platforms with larger audiences pay less per listener, but potentially more in the end due to the increased number of listeners.
0 x

no one
Pethead
Pethead

Post by no one » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm

So you like it right?
No.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 am

no one wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:06 am

You do have a point. The lyrics do seem like generic CCM stuff. And the music does too to a certain extent, it's not bad. However, I still quite like it, it's not at all bad, and the lead guitar is a nice touch.

Besides, I'm thankful for anything at all that John puts out, I love his voice, and I'm glad to hear any new material from him. Better than Anthem Lights anyway.
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 am

GabrielHansberry wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 am
It fluctuates widely, as the payment is based on several factors, but typically Apple pays about half a cent per play, compared to Spotify's quarter of a cent per play. That may or may not sound good to you. I don't know if the rates are different for artists with more listeners.

Which is why a good friend of mine suggested putting my favorite artist on a continuous loop all night to build up the "profits".

Realizing of course in an 8 hour sleep, the song may get played 15 times an hour. so $.005 per hour or $0.40 for the night.

You're welcome John! :mrgreen:
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 pm

lol.... I'm sure he appreciates that immensely
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Yep. All we need is a bot to create millions of accounts and play the tune 24/7. Someone can do it.
0 x