George Harrison wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 am
p-freak wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 am
curt wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 am
Even if they get their money back it does not help the problem that the country finds itself in a moral crisis in which many people, even some who identify as Christians, continue to support a man who lies and treats and talks about other human beings in ways that should not be supported by anyone with moral intergrity.
I honestly don't understand how cultural loyalties can be so strong that it blinds people to what Curt said.
Because what he said was just a typical liberal rant without substance and full of hidden assumptions that really aren't worth the effort of teasing out. Rush Limbaugh once said that the trouble with debating a liberal is that you have to spend so much time and energy simply bringing them up to speed with basic facts that you're never able to get around to actually making your point.
. Is it not true that Trump has a big mouth and can sometimes treat people with disrespect? Remember the debates before the election when he kept insulting Marco Rubio and calling him a little liar? Though, he does have some positive points too of course. Do some of you people perhaps think you can win a debate simply by laughing at and mocking the other side? By ridiculing their opinions? Really? Should we not respect everyone's opinions, and if we do want to disagree, should we not do so by using reasoning, logic, and relevant points, rather than laughing at them and disrespecting them? Not to point fingers at anyone in particular.
Modern presidential debates really aren't "debates" in the traditional sense. They're carnival sideshows where the "winner" is the one who puts on the best performance and emerges from the arena unscathed while leaving his opponents humiliated, and Trump happens to be very, very good at this. He's a master at getting his opponents to wrestle in the mud while he calmly steps over them and continues on his way.

As far as Trump's personal qualities are concerned, he's no choir boy, and I sometimes think he pushes things too far, but I've not seen anything so morally egregious that it would disqualify him from being president, and all things considered, I think he's done a pretty darn good job.
1 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: US shutdown

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 pm

This thread seemed to be intended for Americans to respond to, so I can see why opinions from other countries might rub the wrong way. I think this is why the comments go astray from fellow Americans as we do find it hilarious when people share unguided opinions on Government and polices. Maybe we could talk about Brexit, there is no one from Britain on here so we can all give uneducated opinions on that maybe? God Bless.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

p-freak wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 pm
executioner wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm
zman7720000 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:42 pm
The left has a propensity to give symbolism over substance.
And their symbolism is done right evil and ungodly.
Very civil there, Exe...
The context of what Exe is saying is true the left is evil. So extremely evil that they are allowing murder of babies after birth. Lord Jesus come back soon.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 pm

The Executioner can be a bit intense at times. But I have seen nothing on this string inappropriate or distasteful on his part. What the American left is, and is trying to do to the country can be a bit enraging to bible believing christians.
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 pm
This thread seemed to be intended for Americans to respond to, so I can see why opinions from other countries might rub the wrong way. I think this is why the comments go astray from fellow Americans as we do find it hilarious when people share unguided opinions on Government and polices.
They're called "media tourists", people who's only knowledge of the United States comes from the biased news sources that they're exposed to but who nevertheless think they know more about US politics than those of us who actually live here and have received a lifetime of education on the subject.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm
Dan wrote:
This thread seemed to be intended for Americans to respond to, so I can see why opinions from other countries might rub the wrong way. I think this is why the comments go astray from fellow Americans as we do find it hilarious when people share unguided opinions on Government and polices.
They're called "media tourists", people who's only knowledge of the United States comes from the biased news sources that they're exposed to but who nevertheless think they know more about US politics than those of us who actually live here and have received a lifetime of education on the subject.
Exactly, media tourists.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
... people who's only knowledge of the United States comes from the biased news sources that they're exposed to but who nevertheless think they know more about US politics than those of us who actually live here and have received a lifetime of education on the subject...
Apparently, you know more about foreign media than those of us who actually live there and have received a lifetime of education on the subject.
1 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm
So extremely evil that they are allowing murder of babies after birth.
Please back that up with proof. I'm quite sure there's more to the story than just this short statement.

And wasn't there something written about loving your enemies somewhere? If 'the' left (whatever that is) is so evil, then all the more reason to love them.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Dan wrote:
This thread seemed to be intended for Americans to respond to, so I can see why opinions from other countries might rub the wrong way. I think this is why the comments go astray from fellow Americans as we do find it hilarious when people share unguided opinions on Government and polices. Maybe we could talk about Brexit, there is no one from Britain on here so we can all give uneducated opinions on that maybe? God Bless.
I've only shared my unguided opinion on the way the discussion is proceeding and the type of response. Couldn't care less about US politics. All your problem. Just not too happy with the way some people seem to be content with throwing nukes over the fence, rather than opening the door and having a civil discussion.

And by the way, all those Brits who voted for brexit are off their rocker, haha. And btw, my opinion is not uneducated, since our coutnry will probably be hardest hit by a no-deal brexit.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:27 am

p-freak wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
... people who's only knowledge of the United States comes from the biased news sources that they're exposed to but who nevertheless think they know more about US politics than those of us who actually live here and have received a lifetime of education on the subject...
Apparently, you know more about foreign media than those of us who actually live there and have received a lifetime of education on the subject.
All media is biased.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:27 am
All media is biased.
True, but you were presupposing a bias in a certain direction.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:06 pm

p-freak wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:27 am
All media is biased.
True, but you were presupposing a bias in a certain direction.
Read my post again. I never said or implied an unfair bias in one direction or another. I also didn't presume any particular foreign media source since somebody in, say, England can read CNN or FOX News just as readily as anybody else on the internet.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 am

The evil of the left exposed.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Dan, thanks for the link. That is shocking and horrifying, and frankly, disgusting.

However, I think it's too easy to say that 'the left' is responsible for this. There are loads of people who are politically left and would be horrified by this.

I think that's the essence of the issue at stake here. You seem to throw out the entire left because of this one issue, however horrifying. This issue is enough for you to keep you away from the left, but for others there might be issues with the right that keep them away from it. On the whole, both right and left are horribly wrong, it's just a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. The problem with a 2-party system is that it's always either or and it supports and encourages polarisation. I'm from a country where we have at least 10 credible parties taking part in elections, so carefully weighing options is a matter of habit. But even here the extreme right and the extreme left bite and eat each other (even though in our case both would be in favour of generous abortion laws).

I totally get where you're coming from, all I'm asking for is a bit of nuance and respect for those who have made different choices.
0 x