Which Classic Christian Rock Band Was the Most Popular?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Which Classic Christian Rock Band Was the Most Popular?

Post by George Harrison » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am

Which classic christian rock band was the most popular? Petra? Stryper? Some other one?
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

onfirerocks
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Which Classic Christian Rock Band Was the Most Popular?

Post by onfirerocks » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:30 pm

My guess would be Petra. Of course I guess you would have to look at the number of albums sold, etc. to give you a better idea.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:05 pm

You shouldn't include Stryper. They were/are a secular band playing to secular audiences. Christian bands played to predominantly Christian audiences, and were part of the Christian music industry.

It will be hard to compare sales, since CCM didn't track and audit sales like secular bands and retailers, in the beginning.

I think Petra had the best name recognition back in the day. DeGarmo & Key was up there.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 pm

brent wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:05 pm
You shouldn't include Stryper. They were/are a secular band playing to secular audiences. Christian bands played to predominantly Christian audiences, and were part of the Christian music industry.

It will be hard to compare sales, since CCM didn't track and audit sales like secular bands and retailers, in the beginning.

I think Petra had the best name recognition back in the day. DeGarmo & Key was up there.
We have discussed this topic sales previously. What would you estimate, and we do understand that it would be an educated guess the record sales of Petra in the 80s to be? How many do you think they sold by the time Greg left in 85? Or from John's early years?
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 pm

I have no idea now. When I reached out to my Word contacts, they couldn't remember either. All I know is Schlitt outsold Volz. But, that isn't really fair, because C-Rock music was reaching a wider audience, and there were more C-Rock bands, by the time John came along.
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

Lies- Stryper even had a debate on it. I suggest you watch a video: Stryper vs. some pastor dude who I think is like a stupid guy, Fred somem or other and they won. I dont understand at all why they are put with secular bands cause they obviously aren't if you look at their songs and please don't throw in GDE THWTD ATL or anything else, I've already gathered my opinion on those albums. Robert Sweet himself said that he didn't know why they were such a controversial band. But what's the point in playing to just Christian audiences? And they said that too. Yes of course you still can but how is the rest of the world gonna know? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, beautiful are the feet of the one who brings good news. Romans 10:15. No I don't really like that they have God damn evil but I mean that doesn't automatically make them secular or anything. Only a blind man would call 'Calling on You', 'Soldiers Under Command' or 'Against The Law' secular songs. 🎢still you point your finger, you think you know it all,we want you to remember we're against your laws!🎢 was obviously directed toward satan and those who assumed they were swaying from their message. Anyways I'd say Petra, Stryper or Whiteheart/cross probly.
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

Lies- Stryper even had a debate on it. I suggest you watch a video: Stryper vs. some pastor dude who I think is like a stupid guy, Fred somem or other and they won. I dont understand at all why they are put with secular bands cause they obviously aren't if you look at their songs and please don't throw in GDE THWTD ATL or anything else, I've already gathered my opinion on those albums. Robert Sweet himself said that he didn't know why they were such a controversial band. But what's the point in playing to just Christian audiences? And they said that too. Yes of course you still can but how is the rest of the world gonna know? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, beautiful are the feet of the one who brings good news. Romans 10:15. No I don't really like that they have God damn evil but I mean that doesn't automatically make them secular or anything. Only a blind man would call 'Calling on You', 'Soldiers Under Command' or 'Against The Law' secular songs. 🎢still you point your finger, you think you know it all,we want you to remember we're against your laws!🎢 was obviously directed toward satan and those who assumed they were swaying from their message. Anyways I'd say Petra, Stryper or Whiteheart/cross probly.
The thing is, Stryper didnt exactly always behave like Christians back then, Michael Sweet admits that himself... I am not so sure they were saved, but it seems like nowadays perhaps they have improved. No one is perfect, and I understand that, but I think they did set a bad example... maybe they did more harm than good. However i dont know a great deal about their personal lives and I cant judge their intentions
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:14 pm

George Harrison wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:11 pm

The thing is, Stryper didnt exactly always behave like Christians back then, Michael Sweet admits that himself... I am not so sure they were saved, but it seems like nowadays perhaps they have improved. No one is perfect, and I understand that, but I think they did set a bad example... maybe they did more harm than good. However i dont know a great deal about their personal lives and I cant judge their intentions
I guess for me I'm so just sick and tired of arguing over them. I mean, can't people just leave things alone? ( yeah I know that includes me)
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:14 pm

I guess for me I'm so just sick and tired of arguing over them. I mean, can't people just leave things alone? ( yeah I know that includes me)
Okay I admit maybe they didn't always behave the most wholesomely or whatever but I mean although I cannot judge their intentions or personal lives or whatever I still think they are saved at least because in another interview they talk about that. I'm not so sure about Tim Gaines anymore, maybe he never was exactly found and just had the appearance of it but anyways let's just end this argument. I'd hate to make any foes on here.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Okay I admit maybe they didn't always behave the most wholesomely or whatever but I mean although I cannot judge their intentions or personal lives or whatever I still think they are saved at least because in another interview they talk about that. I'm not so sure about Tim Gaines anymore, maybe he never was exactly found and just had the appearance of it but anyways let's just end this argument. I'd hate to make any foes on here.
Oh yes of course, no hard feelings... The only way to makes foes on here is to talk about politics :wink:
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Well that wink emoji doesn't work :roll:
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 pm
Okay good, in fact I added you to my friends list
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 pm
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 pm
Okay good, in fact I added you to my friends list
Thanks πŸ‘Œ
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am
Which classic christian rock band was the most popular? Petra? Stryper? Some other one?
I honestly can't think of anybody who was bigger than Petra. People say they weren't just a Christian rock band, they were the Christian rock band.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:19 pm

Mountain Man wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:02 pm
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am
I honestly can't think of anybody who was bigger than Petra. People say they weren't just a Christian rock band, they were the Christian rock band.
Yes. I think the thing that made them stand out from the other Christian rock bands of the time was that Petra was strong in nearly every area... Bon Hartman was an excellent songwriter, making good guitar parts and fitting solos when necessary, combined with biblical lyrics which generally avoided being cheesy like so many other c rock bands (Degarmo and Key, Stryper, and a number of others) . The music and the lyrics fit together quite well and were delivered by talented singers and the songs were produced fairly well most of the time (compared to other Christian bands at least). So they were strong in most areas of music.
0 x