A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Your Music Testimony

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 am

Did you like music growing up? If so, as a kid, what music did you and/or your parents & older siblings(If you had/have any) listen to? Did you like that music? Maybe you did, but just felt you wanted something else to listen to and just listened to that because you maybe weren't quite sure how to explore for yourself? What's your background story on music and how did you get to listening to the music you do today?
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: Your Music Testimony

Post by George Harrison » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 pm

When I was younger my siblings listened to Christian rap rock and pop, later some liked country, blues, some liked electronic, some punk, some power metal, some extreme metal. My father liked CCR when he was younger, my mother CCM and praise& worship.

I didn't listen to music very for a long time, not until I started playing guitar and writing music. At that point I liked rock (as long as it was not hard rock) and pop/electronic. Got into Petra, that's why I like that style of music now.

Nowadays I like almost every kind of classic rock (prog, blues, melodic, arena, alternative, some light metal; I don't like modern Rock very much), also some blues, and some electronic/pop (not much though, a considerable proportion of it is awful), some folk, some instrumental/film score/classic, and a few other genres.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:32 pm

My story on music: I was listening to Switchfoot, House of Heroes, Mike Mains and the Branches, & Beecake. (Because my other older sisters and mom listened to it)Both me and my older sister, Violet felt that this, although we didn't hate it, knew it wasn't our style exactly. So in April of last year she came in my room and shared sone of her music with me- 80s rock. (Def Leppard, KISS, Van Halen, Queensrÿche, Mötley Crüe, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Early Pantera, Europe, and Billy Idol, although she didn't have some of that then, we've both expanded.) So I caught onto that. I started liking Foreigner, but she doesn't as much, so as I expanded my music all throughout that year my playlist on Spotify grew. Music is pretty much my life, literally. Please don't take that sentence as cheesy :lol: But in January I started listening to Whitecross and Holy Soldier, Barren Cross, Angelica, my Daily Mix which had those kinds of bands, and after watching the Unseen Power Backstage Pass video when looking for the actual album at 1:00am I was like. " Man! These guys are AWESOME!! They're like my new favorite band!! So I went through each album from Back To The Street to Wake Up Call, and I know some of you are disappointed in me but I just haven't gotten around yet to all of Greg's albums. I do have a few of his songs though. Anyways, they blessed this April SO MUCH, thank you Petra, I hope the blessings went back on all of you, John, Johnny, Louie, Bob, & Ronny :) Luv You all! So now my music is finally my own:)

One more thing: this morning my pastor said something about blessings on whoever led you to Christ, and I was at first thinking, 'Hey, yeah, who exactly did lead me to Christ? I know I've always sort of believed, but who exactly brought me before the cross of my sin and shame? Oh yeah! Scott Wenzel! For Whitecross! Never seen him before, never spoken to him before but he sang to me- 'Behold & Walk With Me by Whitecross' are the songs that brought me to Christ truly so thanks, Scott, Rex, Michael, & Benny/Butch/Tracy(I've heard different bassists), thank you and God Bless You!❤️
Last edited by Diehardpetrafan:) on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:44 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 pm
When I was younger my siblings listened to Christian rap rock and pop, later some liked country, blues, some liked electronic, some punk, some power metal, some extreme metal. My father liked CCR when he was younger, my mother CCM and praise& worship.

I didn't listen to music very for a long time, not until I started playing guitar and writing music. At that point I liked rock (as long as it was not hard rock) and pop/electronic. Got into Petra, that's why I like that style of music now.

Nowadays I like almost every kind of classic rock (prog, blues, melodic, arena, alternative, some light metal; I don't like modern Rock very much), also some blues, and some electronic/pop (not much though, a considerable proportion of it is awful), some folk, some instrumental/film score/classic, and a few other genres.
That's kind of how my oldest sister is, all kinds of different music styles. My music has a lot to do with my relationship with Christ. In fact if you read above, although I grew up in a Christian home, mom and dad still together, go to church, but, a pastor at my Church said, it takes a while to transfer it from your head to your heart. Thankfully I did that while I'm 12 so nothing drastic happened 8)
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:52 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:32 pm
My story on music: I was listening to Switchfoot, House of Heroes, Mike Mains and the Branches, & Beecake. (Because my other older sisters and mom listened to it)Both me and my older sister, Violet felt that this, although we didn't hate it, knew it wasn't our style exactly. So in April of last year she came in my room and shared sone of her music with me- 80s rock. (Def Leppard, KISS, Van Halen, Queensrÿche, Mötley Crüe, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Early Pantera, Europe, and Billy Idol, although she didn't have some of that then, we've both expanded.) So I caught onto that. I started liking Foreigner, but she doesn't as much, so as I expanded my music all throughout that year my playlist on Spotify grew. Music is pretty much my life, literally. Please don't take that sentence as cheesy :lol:
Do you perhaps play any instruments or sing or not really?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:36 am

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:52 pm
Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:32 pm
My story on music: I was listening to Switchfoot, House of Heroes, Mike Mains and the Branches, & Beecake. (Because my other older sisters and mom listened to it)Both me and my older sister, Violet felt that this, although we didn't hate it, knew it wasn't our style exactly. So in April of last year she came in my room and shared sone of her music with me- 80s rock. (Def Leppard, KISS, Van Halen, Queensrÿche, Mötley Crüe, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Early Pantera, Europe, and Billy Idol, although she didn't have some of that then, we've both expanded.) So I caught onto that. I started liking Foreigner, but she doesn't as much, so as I expanded my music all throughout that year my playlist on Spotify grew. Music is pretty much my life, literally. Please don't take that sentence as cheesy :lol:
Do you perhaps play any instruments or sing or not really?
Sadly no but I wanna play guitar. I am not a good singer partly because I have a deep voice and that for girls is harder. Partly else because I don't like to sing up front. But the reason I say music pretty much my life is that I not only listen to it but I seem to be able to make memories with it, mark the months-like, oh yeah I remember doing this in October because I remember getting that song. And like I said it has a lot to do with me and Christ. Maybe it sounds stupid, idk, i guess you'd just have to be me
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm

It's not stupid. Rhythm and lead guitar isn't hard, it's just hard to play well (something I can not yet do). The beginning can be slightly frustrating but it's easier later if you just stick with it.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm
It's not stupid. Rhythm and lead guitar isn't hard, it's just hard to play well (something I can not yet do). The beginning can be slightly frustrating but it's easier later if you just stick with it.
If I ever get the chance I'm not gonna give up on it. People are sayin don't give up, but for what reason? One of my favorite verses is 1Corinthians 10:31-And whatever you do, whether you eat or drink or sleep, do it all for the glory of God So when I'm rock-picking or weed trimming for neighbors or whatever I try to think of that and not even about getting paid or anything and that's why I don't give up because I want to give all the glory to God and what glory does it give Him if we just shut down because we're tired! None!
0 x

GabrielHansberry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 2010

Post by GabrielHansberry » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I grew up with CCM; primarily Newsboys, Switchfoot, Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman and Mark Schultz. In my early teens I started listening to Petra (already long defunct), and then some other older bands, and realized that I actually liked the 80s music much more than that of modern bands. I've since collected EVERYTHING I could get that was related to Petra, Crumbacher, D&K, Servant, and a lot of other stuff as well. I wanted more music in this style, and so started writing my own songs around 2013. I couldn't get much local interest in my music, so decided to fund the recording of an album myself, which I completed with John Lawry in 2018. I've continued working on my singing, songwriting, and musicianship, and am currently working on self-producing my second album.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 pm

GabrielHansberry wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm
I grew up with CCM; primarily Newsboys, Switchfoot, Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman and Mark Schultz. In my early teens I started listening to Petra (already long defunct), and then some other older bands, and realized that I actually liked the 80s music much more than that of modern bands. I've since collected EVERYTHING I could get that was related to Petra, Crumbacher, D&K, Servant, and a lot of other stuff as well. I wanted more music in this style, and so started writing my own songs around 2013. I couldn't get much local interest in my music, so decided to fund the recording of an album myself, which I completed with John Lawry in 2018. I've continued working on my singing, songwriting, and musicianship, and am currently working on self-producing my second album.
Oh! Wow! I love John Lawry😊
0 x