Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Re: Good advice for singing??

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am
I like no doubt.
Alrighty I'm keeping a tally on a paper at home & you're the first to pick No Doubt
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

gman2
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1986

Post by gman2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Montana Sky would be a good choice because the music is really interesting. To me it shows vocal chops if you can nail the melody.
No Doubt is also a good choice if you have the range to pull it off, because the sheet music was published and is out there on the web, if you can get someone to play it.

My advice is if you can get backing tracks for songs you are interested in doing, see if you can get access to your church at a time when it is not in use, that you could use the sound system and get up on stage and practice your songs as though it were the real performance. That's what I did early on. If I was going to be singing on a Sunday, I went to the church every night to practice. It got me comfortable with being on stage, learning to work the microphone, knowing what I need out of the monitor, etc. As I've gotten older, I find that I do want some of my voice in the monitor. Maybe my hearing isn't as good, or I'm more concerned with staying on pitch. For many years, I didn't want my voice in the monitor at all. I just wanted the music nice and loud. It helped me feel more confident and comfortable, and it was also practical. I never wanted to be the person that lost the timing because I couldn't quite hear the music enough.

As for Montana Sky, I have no idea if Whiteheart's record label was putting out accompaniment tracks for any of their stuff back then. I know they released one for Desert Rose, but I can't say that I've seen any earlier songs. I know Petra had a bunch. I never owned any because that's not my wheelhouse.

Whiteheart is fairly active on Facebook. I believe Billy Smiley is the man behind the computer, or Gersh. They could probably tell you what songs were available on accompaniment tracks, and maybe have some leads on where to find them.
1 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:04 pm

gman2 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 pm
Montana Sky would be a good choice because the music is really interesting. To me it shows vocal chops if you can nail the melody.
No Doubt is also a good choice if you have the range to pull it off, because the sheet music was published and is out there on the web, if you can get someone to play it.

My advice is if you can get backing tracks for songs you are interested in doing, see if you can get access to your church at a time when it is not in use, that you could use the sound system and get up on stage and practice your songs as though it were the real performance. That's what I did early on. If I was going to be singing on a Sunday, I went to the church every night to practice. It got me comfortable with being on stage, learning to work the microphone, knowing what I need out of the monitor, etc. As I've gotten older, I find that I do want some of my voice in the monitor. Maybe my hearing isn't as good, or I'm more concerned with staying on pitch. For many years, I didn't want my voice in the monitor at all. I just wanted the music nice and loud. It helped me feel more confident and comfortable, and it was also practical. I never wanted to be the person that lost the timing because I couldn't quite hear the music enough.

As for Montana Sky, I have no idea if Whiteheart's record label was putting out accompaniment tracks for any of their stuff back then. I know they released one for Desert Rose, but I can't say that I've seen any earlier songs. I know Petra had a bunch. I never owned any because that's not my wheelhouse.

Whiteheart is fairly active on Facebook. I believe Billy Smiley is the man behind the computer, or Gersh. They could probably tell you what songs were available on accompaniment tracks, and maybe have some leads on where to find them.
Oof, thinking about all this singing up front is making me Really Nervous already. I don't have Facebook but I could probably ask someone else in my family. Yeah, the music REAL NICE AND LOUD PLEASE😣😣 I'm one of those ppl too, I'd hate to be embarrassed up on stage. I was thinking about getting someone else to sing with me since there'll be plenty of ppl at Camp to, but- does anyone there know any of these bands? Doubt it--- but hey, No Doubt!😎 I'm prayin bout it, and I would pick either Montana Sky or Hand in Hand, which would be good to do up there with a friend which I'm hoping one of will be there. Those are two I'm looking at but I still want other's ideas and stuff, although No Doubt was one of the ones I was gonna choose last :lol: I do like the song but, I feel like it'd be harder than Montana Sky or some others up there. Yeah, good advice about practicing at Church, but I honestly don't know if I could do it man, 1. Then ppl like my dad would have to know why I was going there and that is not happening, 2. I haven't exactly told anyone my precise plans except for my younger sisters and the Petra zone, sooo, yeah. 3. If I for some reason couldn't, or quit, ( but I don't plan on doing that since I don't like quitters or quitting, it frustrates me) then it'd take awhile to explain to my older sisters. But I could practice there, in my cabin with any girls who would join me, cuz that's what they did and I could practice at the Chapel there too, if necessary. I just get scared when thinking about going up there is mostly it now😞
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:22 pm

For singing advice you might try the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. 😀
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:19 pm

rexreed wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:22 pm
For singing advice you might try the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. 😀
?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:23 pm

I looked it up. Sounds interesting but this isn’t anything super serious it’s just fun for a talent show at my camp this year, but I’m scared cuz I am a scaredy cat and I’ve never done anything for it before. But someday yes I think it would be fun to try his singing lessons
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

A Petra medley I made, and might sing next year at Camp

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:26 pm

I know I'm thinking way ahead as this is in August of 2020, but we get our registration papers for camp grace mailed to us in March usually, and this idea came to me suddenly. I decided to try putting together a Petra medley of For Annie, & Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows. Here are the lyrics I put together. Eventually I’ll try putting the music together somehow.

No one ever noticed Annie weeping
People all around, but she was all alone...
Mama’s got her meetings, and Daddy’s got his job
And no one’s got the time, so Annie's on her own...

Another sleepy Sunday, safe within the walls
Outside a world, in desperation calls...
But no one hears the cries, or knows what they’re about;
The doors are locked from within, or is it from without?

Looking through rose colored stained glass windows, never allowing the world to come in... There’s so much we could tell her, and now we wish we could. but it’s too late, it’s too late, for Annie...

Sadness fills the hearts of Annie’s family,
Daddy tries to comfort Mama uselessly...
They hope she knew they loved her, but they really didn’t know,
They just want to know, why did their baby go?

Looking through rose colored stained glass windows, never allowing the world to come in-
Seeing no evil, and hearing no pain,
Making the light as it enters from within-
So dim, so dim

And it’s not, too late for Annie- she could be next to you;
Don’t miss this chance to tell her, before her life is through...
We gotta tell her Jesus loves her,
Tell her Jesus cares,
Tell her He can free her, and her burdens bear!
It’s not too late
And it’s not, too late for Annie- she could be next to you;
Don’t miss this chance to tell her, before her life is through...
We gotta tell her Jesus loves her,
Tell her Jesus cares,
Tell her He can free her, and her burdens bear!
It’s not too late...
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am

Does anybody know of a good music editor that I can mix the music together with?
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am
Does anybody know of a good music editor that I can mix the music together with?
Audacity. It's a free download:

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Have fun!
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I have heard of that before- thank you!
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm

If you mean a digital audio workstation, try GarageBand. It's very easy to use and it's free. It's possible to learn off of YouTube tutorials. Only available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac however.

Reaper is another good DAW, also free (kind of). It is however, more complicated, GarageBand is much easier.

I don't know if that's what you want though
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Oh my I played around on GarageBand so much on our mac when I was little! I don't know that that's quite what I want, though. I want something where I can somehow merge bits of songs together but Audacity is for computers only, isn't it? I want something I can use on an iPod because I don't have a computer of my own.
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:35 pm

And if I can't find a way to put them together, I'll just pick a few favorites of mine and see which one gets most 'votes' :)
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:52 pm

This will be my new tradition- every year I go to Camp Grace, I'll sing a Petra song for the talent show :mrgreen:

I think I'll do 'Love' if I can persuade Callie to do the keyboards and backup vocals, she really doesn't want to but maybe I can persuade her. And then the camp director's youngest son does drums. We can probably easily replace the violins with acoustics if I learn quickly ʅ(°‿°)ʃ

I can't wait for August…………… :roll: :P

I still haven't completely given up the idea of that medley though…… 8)
0 x